The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-29-2005, 03:17 PM   #1
GoobersBlueBurban
Account Suspended

Re: Heater core replacement

When i changed the heater core in my '87 suburban, i realized the the heater box itself was busted into 2 pieces, so i found 1 out of a friend's '83 Chevy pickup, changed the vacuum pods, put in the heater core, and stuck that in. The hardest part of the whole thing was trying to get the bottom nut on the stud. I ended up using about a 3 ft. extension and finally got it to start, and was trouble free from there. Air blows hot as hell, and has no leaks.
GoobersBlueBurban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 06:12 PM   #2
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Re: Heater core replacement

Well let me tell you. I have changed the heater core in my 85. Wasn't easy but not very hard either. My 92 Chevy van has been leaking water somewhere lately. I have been smelling the faint smell of antifreeze too. I figured it was the heater core. I had to put some wheel cylinders on it today too since I had one leaking and the brake shoes sticking. So, I thought, while I am at it, I'll change the heater core. This van has no AC so I figured it would be a snap. WRONG!!

This has got to be the hardest heater core I've ever taken out. I had to completely remove the dash, motor cover, all the ducts and hoses, braces behind the dash, just about everything just to get the box out from under the dash. I've got screws, bolts and nuts laying everywhere. I haven't even started putting it all back together yet. I doubt I'll ever remember where all the fasteners go. I hate to think about what it would have been like if it were an AC truck.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote