The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-13-2006, 12:03 AM   #1
ian villeza

Re: 2wd's~Limited supply but large demand!

What if you just slammed your 4 wheel drive and ran around in 2 high?
ian villeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 12:53 AM   #2
krue
Designated A-hole!

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsesive23
Hey frizzle you get that 2wd and lets talk price. I'm down for a road trip.
Talk about it elsewhere.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 09:50 AM   #3
SLIMJIM

And if that rusted 2 wheeler with a VIN has a hard title to go with it, it is worth even more.

SLIMJIM
Old 02-13-2006, 10:34 AM   #4
Livrat
Member #1049

Rokcrln I have often asked myself the same question.. From what I can gather.. its the same reason that some guys have to use NOS parts instead of repoduction ones.. Its like the difference between the restorer crowd and the hotrodder crowd.... Personal preference.. It seems at times those personalites will clash with each other..
I have converted 6 of them in the last 20 years or so.. It is not a difficult swap, just time consuming..
Recently I had been looking for another 4X4 to convert for myself.. but ended up trading for a factory 71 2WD.. Even still for what some will pay for it. I have considered selling it and still doing a conversion.. dollar wise in the long run its cheaper for me to convert one and build it the way I want it... I could care less if its original or not.. just that its 2WD, low and fast...
Just my $.02
Livrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 12:03 PM   #5
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livrat
Rokcrln I have often asked myself the same question.. From what I can gather.. its the same reason that some guys have to use NOS parts instead of repoduction ones.. Its like the difference between the restorer crowd and the hotrodder crowd.... Personal preference.. It seems at times those personalites will clash with each other..
I have converted 6 of them in the last 20 years or so.. It is not a difficult swap, just time consuming..
Recently I had been looking for another 4X4 to convert for myself.. but ended up trading for a factory 71 2WD.. Even still for what some will pay for it. I have considered selling it and still doing a conversion.. dollar wise in the long run its cheaper for me to convert one and build it the way I want it... I could care less if its original or not.. just that its 2WD, low and fast...
Just my $.02
What do you do about the title and registration in Washington when you convert a 4wd to a 2wd? When you converted, did you swap out the leaf springs?
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 03:03 PM   #6
Livrat
Member #1049

bouncytruck When I did the first one.. I used a 2WD truck for all the parts.. I made many calls to the DMV but could never get a good answer about it.. So I made the trip down to the State Patrol inspection station with both titles in had.. It turned into quite a fiasco.. some of the inspectors didn't see a need to inspect is as it had the same serial numbers on both the frame and body and no major parts were changed (cab etc).. other inspectors said it was built out of more than one truck it needed to be inspected.... well hours were spent debating the issue.. in the end.. Finally per my request they did inspect it and put on Washington state serial number and titled it as a 1972 assembled vehicle.
The next ones converted were left the titled as they were since both numbers on the body and the frame matched .. and since there is no indication on Wash titles that actually say 4WD or 2WD (other than the "C" or "K" in the serial number and DMX seems to have no clue about the difference) so far it had not been an issue.. The laws may have changed since then as the last one I converted was 12 years ago..

I left the rear leaf springs on them and put the rear ends on the top which was perfect for the ride height I wanted..

Attached is a picture of a Jimmy that was converted using the rear end on top of the leaf springs and one coil cut out of the front spring..
Attached Images

Livrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 09:59 PM   #7
72CSTC5
Account Suspended

I have an original 2wd that I looked for forever but now is shaved all over, shaved firewall, coilspring rear coilover kit, dropped everything in the front end, so I do not see the problem of converting all of the 4wd's. There is basically nothing left stock on the Blazer at all. I guess it is in the builders mind on what they want to do. Look at all of the old 32 ford Cabriolets, coupes, roadsters made of fiberglass and not steel bodied. Does it make them less of a street rod? To each their own I guess. I still prefer them low and lean even though I have a lifted 4wd Superduty diesel for everyday driving.
72CSTC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 10:18 PM   #8
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72CSTC5
but now is shaved all over, shaved firewall, coilspring rear coilover kit, dropped everything in the front end

Where's the pic's of this badboy ?
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 12:24 AM   #9
72CSTC5
Account Suspended

still in progress, need time to finish painting the vehicle. I have assorted parts painted. One of the front fenders is in my avatar. I wish I had time to finish. I have been working in the "Rita" damaged Beaumont area as a bodyshop manager for a Chevy Dealer there. You could just imagine the amount of damaged cars we have. I have been working between 80-85 hours a week right now. I will post a photoshop pic that I had made by Carter Hickman, the guy whom invented the House of Kolor program on color and graphics.
72CSTC5 is offline   Reply With Quote