The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-10-2006, 08:43 PM   #26
JAKES 68GMC
Aluminum slot wheels rule...

Re: well, i got a letter from the state yesterday...

Your area is a lot like mine.
JAKES 68GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:13 PM   #27
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

:flm:

Please discontinue the griping about the laws and people that turn others in or this thread will become recycled electrons.

Last time I was that far south I could see the brown cloud over the metroplex from Denton. That was 20 years ago. Is it still like that?

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:32 PM   #28
william 70 c/20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred T
:flm:

Please discontinue the griping about the laws and people that turn others in or this thread will become recycled electrons.

Last time I was that far south I could see the brown cloud over the metroplex from Denton. That was 20 years ago. Is it still like that?
only over cstanley's house...
william 70 c/20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:43 PM   #29
oscareltemblo

Dam nice letter.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:32 AM   #30
local13hutch

cstanley...... What is really goin on is screw with the small guy make him overpay for every thing, but if your A mega million doller company you can dump more pollution into ''our '' air than all of the old cars and trucks combined daily. As long as you pay Uncle Sam big bucks it's KINGS-EX ..and it happens everywhere everyday .....On the other hand, we have the right to still do what we want more or less. Hell, I live in Southern Cal all of my life and have never had a complaint about anything...We have some thick smog laws here, but I guess there are so many cars here that complaining would probably be a waste of time ......Personally, I think that the ''load of dunnage''who is doin the ''snivvelin'' is just jealous of your ride and probably couldn't keep up with you in his '' rice-burner ''.....
72 3/4 ton sub 4x4
61 morris minor pickup, chevy 4.3 v6
03 escalade, 24" momo's wifes
96 2wd 2door tahoe
67 2wd suburban
72 4wd k5 99 vortec 14bolt/d60 205/th400- 72 4wd crewcab 1 ton sb cummins allison -2012 2ss camaro black hard top- 8 yamaha quads- 05 4wd one ton duramax dually, family limo.
local13hutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 04:06 AM   #31
97silv5.7
MooMoo

that sucks, Im lucky to have good neighbors
Support the Board! Or deal with me foo!
Its all fun and games till you find out shes 16.
97silv5.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 09:26 AM   #32
cstanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by william 70 c/20
only over cstanley's house...

the cloud over mine is blue!

and it wasn't one of my neighbors. just some random out there. i'm not po'd, i'm not trying to flame anyone. i just had an amusing occurrence that i wanted to share with everyone for a laugh, nothing more.

'72 Blazer Restoration Blog: http://sportchicken.blogspot.com/
cstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 09:36 AM   #33
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Talking Re: well, i got a letter from the state yesterday...

[Flame suit on] I can clearly see everyone's viewpoint here, but I'm gonna play Devil's Advocate for a minute anyway...

First, I have never turned anyone in for excessive smoke or excessive noise, though Lord knows I have seen and heard plenty of both. And I don't live in a glass house either -- my truck is kinda loud, and it still smokes a bit on cold idle, even after the rebuild.

I have no idea how much smoke your truck was putting out, or what kind, or for how long. But exempt or not, common sense still would indicate that we all need to take responsibility for our share of pollution. There are times when too much is too much, and if the owner does nothing about it themselves, maybe a friedly suggestion is in order. I try to look at it this way -- even though you are just one person, but how would it be if everyone's vehicle spewed out large volumes of smoke? Not too pleasant, I'd guess.

As for noise -- well, again, there are reasonable limits, and too much simply shows a total disregard for your neighbors and other people in general. What may be a sweet engine to your ears may be a great annoyance to others -- think of very loud, booming rap 'music' blaring from that ricer you hate. He might like it, but many of us don't want to hear it.

Okay, I'm off my soapbox -- flame away if you wish, I just wanted a different viewpoint to be represented here.

btw... cstanley, I want to be clear I'm not directing anything at you personally -- this post is more a rebuttal to all those replies complaining about people complaining about smoke & noise!

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay

Last edited by Stocker; 05-11-2006 at 09:41 AM.
Stocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:06 AM   #34
Old Yeller 1970
DON'T TREAD ON ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker
how would it be if everyone's vehicle spewed out large volumes of smoke?
That's why we need a certain number of liberals in society who would never be guilty of such a thing so they can balance out all the rest of us. cstanley is just fortunate enough to live with a lot of them.

Although liberals usually get on their high horse about polution it's really neither a liberal or conservative issue. A true conservative wants to conserve the environment not destroy it. We all have to decide where we fit into that.

Regarding our trucks, even if they are not spewing out smoke, no truck of our vintage is going to be enviromentally friendly by today's standards. No matter how good our trucks run they still pour out massive amounts of unburned hydrocarbons.

Man, this is getting way too deep.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:52 AM   #35
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Thumbs up Re: well, i got a letter from the state yesterday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller 1970
Although liberals usually get on their high horse about pollution it's really neither a liberal or conservative issue. A true conservative wants to conserve the environment not destroy it. We all have to decide where we fit into that.
Very well said! Wish I woulda thought of that....

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 09:54 AM   #36
ClemsonChevy
8 vehicles only 4 that run

Just move to SC. No inspection on ANY vehicle. No emissions testing on ANY vehicle. I love it!
72 Chevy C10 LWB fleetside
ClemsonChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 02:32 PM   #37
Werewolf
Woof?

Used to be that way in Michigan, too, when I lived up there. Don't think that's changed in 10 years yet, either. I would imagine there's some kind of emissions inspection near Detroit; the Feds force it. But there's never been anything way up north in the Upper Peninsula. They don't care if you have exhaust or not, if your car blinds other drivers or not, if you run cats or not...
1997 Astro
1992 Caprice wagon, 500k stock miles. Nursing wounds after a bad wreck.
1997 Saturn - need gas mileage from something!
Werewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 11:18 PM   #38
69RAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange
I have cutouts welded in right behind the headers...

I'll let you guess what would have happened the next morning. And I am normally not a childish type person.

"Your cell phone irritates me." Don't think that would do any good, so I'll just drown them with my single chambers when I drive by.

It's AMAZING what a BB with open headers will do for changing attitudes!! . Mine complained til I ran uncapped for three days at 5:00am, haven't heard a word or note since (4 months) hehehe.
69RAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 08:10 AM   #39
Old Yeller 1970
DON'T TREAD ON ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69RAT
It's AMAZING what a BB with open headers will do for changing attitudes!! . Mine complained til I ran uncapped for three days at 5:00am, haven't heard a word or note since (4 months) hehehe.
Back in college I had a 750 Yamaha triple with no baffles in the pipes. Every morning at 7:45 I'd let'er rip on my way out of the apartment complex on my way to my 8 o'clock classes. It was loud enough to set off car alarms when I'd drive by.

But while I was gone skiing over Christmas break, one of my room mates called and said didn't you leave your bike in such and such place. I said yes and he said well it's been stolen. I thought well that's just wonderful.

When I got back (besides the cops) I put out the APB to all the local motorcyle shops and one of the guys that I knew from the Yamaha dealer and lived within site of my apartment complex said there was a bike parked next to a dumpster at his apartment. I went over and sure enough it was my 750. But whoever stole it didn't stop at hotwiring it. They took a hammer and beat out the lense on every gauge, speedo, tach and turn signal lense and beat a big dent in my brand new gas tank.

It could have been some regualar thugs that did it. But I've always kind of thought that it was someone who was sick and tired of being rattled out of his bed at the crack of dawn every morning.

C'est la vie (That's Say la ve over here in Missippi )

Hey I just thought maybe I should change my user title to "Loud Pipes Gets Your Bike Stolen".

Last edited by Old Yeller 1970; 05-20-2006 at 08:19 AM.
Old Yeller 1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 08:29 AM   #40
mbgmike

I live in Texas and the DNR will send you a letter when someone complains about your vehicle. It will tell you your plate number ,date, time, and location where the OFFENSE took place. It won't tell the snitches name.You fill out this form explaining how you fixed the problem mail it back in and your done.
I've gotten 2 in the last several years. I don't worry about them.
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 01:31 PM   #41
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller 1970
..... no truck of our vintage is going to be enviromentally friendly by today's standards. No matter how good our trucks run they still pour out massive amounts of unburned hydrocarbons.
I politely disagree.

No truck left in original trim will pass todays stringent emissions standards. But, it doesn't take much 'hot rodding' to make a 67~72 run as clean as a late 80's early 90's vehicle by simply swapping a few choice pieces. And they can also pass current 05~06 standards w/the common LS based engine swap (5.3 ~ 6.0 swap).

Climbs onto soap-box & takes a deep breath.....
What I adamantly disagree with is the methodolgy used for 'blanket coverage' of emissions testing on personal vehicles. I want clean air just like the environmentalists. I don't mind having my vehicle/s tested for emissions. I do mind someone telling me that in order to be 'legal' & air friendly, I must follow regulations that were decided long ago by a group of people who may, or more likely may-not, have any idea about the internal combustion engine.

Case in point: My 78 Elcamino was deemed legal w/it's factory 305/2bl after putting a fresh single catalytic-converter (C.C.), into a dual exhaust system. This was factory untouched hardware that barely passed the requirements for the 75 ~ 78 year models.... but it passed. I wanted more power, less blow-by smoke from the poor seal of the stock rings/cylinders, & I still wanted to be 'air-friendly' so I removed the 305 for a built 355.

I paid attention to the details & had a motor built using a 'system' of parts that worked well together. It had ported 882 heads w/flat-top pistons; all the other parts were emissions-legal for a 78 vehicle: Crane L82-spec cam; Edelbock intake; L82-spec Holley 650 carb; MSD ign; 1 5/8 headers w/hot air fitting for a 305HO/Camaro thermostatic air cleaner housing.

Where it went wrong? I was restricted to putting a single, restrictive, C.C. equipped exhaust on it again because that's what it came with from GM. I wanted to install true duals & didn't mind paying for 2 high-flow converters to accomplish the task because ultimately I wanted it to be air-friendly.

If I wanted duals w/2 converters, I was breaking the law & was not emissions legal. Since I wanted the engine to breathe, I became a criminal. Since I was a criminal, I figured I might as well leave the converters off altogether (there was no sense spending the money if there's no benefit). I had a 2.5" dual exhaust built & then had it tested. It passed the standards of late-eighties vehicles!

I met my goal of more power, less polution, & much better air quality even though I was now breaking the law. I thought about going ahead & installing the converters. But, since it was polluting on the equivalent to later-model, fuel injected vehicles, I left things as they were.

We should all make sure our vehicles are air friendly. If we're smarter than the average Joe to accomplish the goal.... good for us. As long as it passes the emissions standards, it shouldn't matter what the parts combination is.
Falls off box shaking fists in the air . . ....

Most 67~74's don't have to worry much about emissions regulations, 75's & later do. But, w/each passing year, rules are changing & creeping into more areas that weren't previously affected.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 05-20-2006 at 01:37 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 07:12 PM   #42
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

I would just like to say that my truck is fricken loud (before it died), and that instead of complaining, one of my neighbors actually made the comment that because I left about 10 minutes before him, he now knew if he was running late or not just by listening for my truck. And that on one occasion, my truck actually kept him from being late when it woke him up, and he realized that he had accidently turned his alarm off in his sleep.
It wasn't a word for word "thank you", but it was close enough for me to consider it as one.
"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters." Ghengis Khan

IIOY???
toddtheodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 08:20 PM   #43
Old Yeller 1970
DON'T TREAD ON ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI
I politely disagree.
Hmm, not really sure what we disagree on. I said our trucks (67-72) won't pass by today's standards and as you said, your El Camino could only pass by late '80's early '90's standards not today's.
Yes, people can and do put in LS based engines but my remarks about "our trucks" were meant in the context of the engines they came with, which is what is in cstanley's truck.
Maybe instead of saying our trucks will pour out massive amounts of unburned hydrocarbons I should have said no matter what you do to a SBC it will emit more unburned hydrocarbons than allowed under current standards.
Old 09-09-2006, 01:55 AM   #44
mtm_seven

I got one of those letters also. I'm pretty darn proud of it...it's getting framed for the bathroom at the shop - one more thing to help you coax a turd out - or maybe Hippies with too much time on their hands make my a** sweat.

I'm not promoting pollution, but the fact remains that producing a new car makes for more damage to the environment than driving an old one.

Possibly if I put a "Powered by Bio-Diesel" sticker on my Blazer then it'll all be OK.
‘71 GMC K20
'72 K5 1-ton gear 468BB
‘86 K30 GMC High Sierra C&C Single Cab
'96 SWB Single Cab 5.7
‘99 SWB Z71 Single Cab
'00 SWB Single Cab 5.3
'01 K2500 Yukon Safari 6.0
‘06 2500HD Single Cab C&C Duramax 4x4
'08 1500 crew
'11 2500HD Single Cab Duramax 4x4
mtm_seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 07:24 AM   #45
hotrod 80
mini truck racer

The state has been running a radio campaign about excessive auto pollution pretty heavily. They even have a few billboards . they give a # to call and report "over polluters" , not that you are or anything.
hotrod 80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 07:40 AM   #46
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

I read EVERY single post in this thread and still see NO smoke
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 08:35 AM   #47
hotrod 80
mini truck racer

There you go.
hotrod 80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 08:35 AM   #48
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 11:21 AM   #49
RSRXION

FOIA is your friend ! FOIA = Freedom Of Information Act . As a publicly funded entity ALL of the Texas DOT offices are required to comply with properly submitted FOIA requests. You know when the letter was sent and with just a little legwork you should be able to estimate the approximate date of the complaint. Under the FOIA act request any and all documents connected with your case. Be very specific to include computer files, handwritten notes, recorded phone conversations ( yes they are normally on tape ) , applicable statutes etc... They may try to give you a line of BS about takes too long or 25 cents per page. They have only 3 business days to deliver the info and at a maximum charge of 5 cents per page.

You'll find that this should yield a wealth of information and probably identify the caller. Then you can contact the water department , gas department , phone company , sewer department , trash company etc... and let them know you'll be moving Friday and you'd like your utilities shut off on Friday between 1 and 4 p.m. Your name will be Mr. or Mrs. Busybody with an address that you'll find on the info you get from your FOIA request.

Nothing like having your utilities shut off on a weekend !

I'm a vindictive bastard aren't I ? Dean

Last edited by RSRXION; 09-09-2006 at 11:45 AM.
RSRXION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 02:05 PM   #50
tnblazerk5
User #12137

hehehehe i see RSRXION thinks kinda like i do
tnblazerk5 is offline   Reply With Quote