The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-25-2006, 11:34 AM   #1
Rokcrln

Re: Is that illegal?

I know my 70 2wd blazer, 71 SWB, 67 chevelle and my 64 Nova all came with them. In the Nova I found a owners manual explaining how to use them!

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Attached Images

Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 11:49 AM   #2
Boog
laying low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
That statement probably had more to do with you getting the ticket than the truck not actually having them. Cops are funny like that and usually don't take NO for an answer very well.
I've only been stopped a few times but I have found when I get a cop who has his mind already made up it is often better just to agree with him and go on. I had one once tell me I had to mount my taillamps and license tag higher up on the bed of my truck so he could see them better. Of course I told him they were in the factory location but saw he was set on this. I said ok and went on my way. Never did get around to moving those taillamps, like I really intended to!
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 03:24 PM   #3
powell72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
That statement probably had more to do with you getting the ticket than the truck not actually having them. Cops are funny like that and usually don't take NO for an answer very well.
I couldn't agree more, you usually don't have an upper hand when it comes to getting pulled over. Best thing to do is swallow the pride and say yes sir, no sir.

http://www.classictrucks.com/feature...short_bed.html
powell72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 11:39 AM   #4
timcos
Chief Honcho In Charge

www.ticketslayer.com

1992 1500 4x4 Shortbed
1984 Ford F250 Supercab Longbed 6.9L Diesel
1972 K10 Cheyenne Super Fleetside Short Bed - 350 - A/C
1971 VW SuperBeetle
1960 Wife
1984 Son
1986 Son
1989 Son

Previous Trucks
1967 C10 SWB (1980-1981)
1971 C10 LWB (1998-2004)
timcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 02:14 PM   #5
Sgt.Booya

You have to remember that the majority of police officers today, especially after 2008 (when a large group retire) were not even born when are 67-72 trucks were. Most are not into old trucks/cars like we are and have only known vehicles to be equipped with lap/shoulder belts. Therefore if the officer did not see a shoulder belt you could see why he/she might conclude that you didn't have your seat belt on.

The best advice I can offer if you get pulled over is NOT to be confrontational, that gets anyones back up. Explain to the officer that your model of vehicle was only equipped with LAP belts not shoulder belts and that you are wearing all the safety equipment available from the factory. After expalining that and if you really don't want to get a ticket (and project yourself to be a decent guy or gal) .....and this is going to sound crazy to some. Thank the officer for stopping you and that you're glad to see he/she is concerned about traffic safety.

If you still get a ticket...fight it. Afterall, you're right. That's the beauty about your judicial system.

Slammed 70...I don't know your State law but I know in Ontario operating a vehicle without a seatbelt on or the factory equipped seat belts removed (lap or whatever) is illegal.

1970 Chev C10 SWB, "250 turbo thrift"

Last edited by Sgt.Booya; 11-25-2006 at 02:16 PM.
Sgt.Booya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 11:36 PM   #6
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

The problem with the 4 and 5 point harnesses, and the reason they are illegal on the street, is that they are not DOT approved, and 99.9% of the cops... and state inspectors, don't know how to install them, so they can't verify that YOU know what you are doing.
And, another argument, even though you are safer (if installed properly) in an accident, the added restraint could possibly cause an accident being that your movement (looking over your shoulder for example) might be obstructed.
Of course, what you can do, is leave the stock restraints in, and when some one busts your balls about the wiz bang 5 point harness, take it off, and slip on the stock lap belt.
For your own safety, make sure you have those things installed correctly. If they are not right, they will compress your spine in a collision, making you wish you were dead.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 12:31 AM   #7
C10 Club Tennessee

In Tennessee passenger cars after 62 all had seatbelts in them and trucks after 64 had them. As a former police officer I would never pull anybody over for the seatbelt law if they were driving an older vehicle because they could have their lap belt on. It's just a problem with the seatbelt law that not all officers are taught what vehicles have shoulder belts and which ones don't. I just knew because of my love of old cars.

I would think each jurisdiction and local court would have to have a policy on being pulled over for a seatbelt violation when all you have is lap belts. How did the officer know you didn't have your seatbelt on? Each court would have to deal with that situation and the judge would have to decide it there was enough probable cause/reasonable suspicion to stop that particular vehicle. The judge can't say "well, you still weren't wearing your seatbelt". That's like me stopping a car for no reason and getting lucky that they had 5 pounds of dope in the trunk!!! Then saying well they still had dope in the car.

www.gmtruckshow.com

Project "Andes"-Halen's First Truck

Project: Patina Burb

for he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer. Romans 13:4

Last edited by 5150; 11-26-2006 at 12:34 AM.
5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 05:24 PM   #8
TP from Cntl PA

FWIW, I know of acouple locals who were running '67-'72 GM pickups and were pulled over, although the initial stop the township cop said it was for speeding(Said he was doing 38 in a 35 mph zone ) he only gave him a warning for it though, but the real cause in the owners opinion(And mine) was he wanted to see if he could nail him with the new seat belt law, because he didn't see the shoulder belt, and being a young guy, he thought the driver didn't have it on. Of-course he had the stock lap belt on and was left go on that as well after explaining the truck came new without them(Shoulder belt).

I still have two with lap belts only, and I bet it won't be long before I see lights in my mirror for essentially the same reason(Although they have to use another reason to pull you over).

Inlines Rule! 6 soldiers standing is better than 8 laying down!!!!!!!!
TP from Cntl PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 05:36 PM   #9
SCOTI

My 74 only has lap belts but there are 3 for all available seating positions. Both of my earlier 67 & 68 have 2 lap-belts only.

That's the one thing about lap belts & getting pulled over for a traffic violation: The police won't have indisputable proof of whether you were or weren't wearing unless there are none in the truck @ all.

I require all under-age passengers to buckle-up. Over 18 & it's your decision.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 05:11 PM   #10
alblogg

Seat belts in my opinion should be left alone to the year of the car or truck just like it was built especially ones being restored to factory originals. I mean who wants to see a '50 Merc with air bags and shoulder harnesses. But to answer any of the questions more I went to the shop and did an inventory on what cars and trucks I have there now working on to see what they had. A '68 Camaro SS lap and shoulder. A '70 GTX lap and shoulder. A '68 GMC C 10 lap belt and my '69 Chevy C10.
Tuner,Viper
'88 K1500 Cheyenne, 5.0, stock, bought new
'86 Nissan 720 Trash Truck
'69 C/10 step side, 307, all original, second owner, in process of restore.

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrurt the person doing it.
Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality.

Allen- Paintman
Wrenchtwister
Broompusher
alblogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 02:51 PM   #11
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Next time drive faster, maybe he won't be able to get you then. Oh and by the way, there were 67 Chevy trucks with seatbelts in them.

Last edited by piecesparts; 11-27-2006 at 02:51 PM.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 02:54 AM   #12
Americanrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesparts View Post
Next time drive faster, maybe he won't be able to get you then. Oh and by the way, there were 67 Chevy trucks with seatbelts in them.
Yea, I only have 4 1967's in my front yard. The shoulder belts is what I was refering to:

(b) Every passenger car manufactured or assembled after January 1, 1968, shall be equipped with a lap-type safety belt assembly for each permanent passenger seating position. This requirement shall not apply to police vehicles.
Americanrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 05:16 PM   #13
Crummy
Are fishermen all liars?

NC Stautes-Exemptions:
» Vehicles not required to have belts. In general, these are cars made before 1968 and light trucks and vans made before 1972. ***I had a printed copy of this in the dash for those "young" cops. My '69 had no seatbelts. Seems you would have to be a truck fan to know a '69 from a '72 which was required to have a seatbelt.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:10 PM   #14
Longhorn Man

I find it hard to believe that NC is able to remove federal safety guidlines from the law. I find it vary hard to believe.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:45 AM   #15
Crummy
Are fishermen all liars?

http://www.buckleupnc.org/laws_belts.cfm
Old 11-28-2006, 04:31 PM   #16
Longhorn Man

oh I don't doubt thry have it on the books... but federal law prevents states from requireing you to add safety equipment that was not required in the first place.
and after reading that one, it implies that you are not required to have them in 72 and older truck..which again, conflicts with federal law.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:38 PM   #17
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

I realize that "Jacking" with the police is an art, but to make my day easier, I pulled the shoulder belt mounting brackets out of the cab of another and later model truck. I am going to fit them ito the chopped cab of my 68 and make sure that the belt cops leaave me alone. "Speeding" is another story all together.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote