The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-03-2008, 07:04 PM   #26
corn

Re: i broke a tap in my block!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57sailplane View Post
lol, i got so caught up in the heat thing that i skipped the obvious when everything is cool use wrench to unscrew the nut and hopefully the tap. lol
Here is a tech article on removing a broken tap, exactly like you described. Ill try this on my next tap removing session. Thanks for the tip...

http://www.engineeringhobbyist.com/p...val/index.html
corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 07:05 PM   #27
corn

Here is another method I just found...

http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?tid=9562
Old 01-03-2008, 07:16 PM   #28
usernamessuck

I have a great trick I learned from an old timer, and then I learned why it worked when I was in school. All you need is a oxy/acetylene torch. Cast iron (engine block material) cannot be cut with a torch, but the bolt or tap that you may have stuck in the block can be. All you have to do is heat the tap up to red with a torch, and then feather in the cutting oxygen, and it will blow out the tap or bolt and leave the threads in the block. Then all you need is to clean it up a little with a tap (carefully so you don't have to do it again), and your block will be as good as new. Hope this helps.
usernamessuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 07:26 PM   #29
68K20 x Drill

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60Ratrod
i think that i might try the heating route. cause i know that metal expands when hot. so should i take the block to the point of being red or just barely red?? can i use a pluming torch for this??
A plumbing torch is kinda futile against such a big hunk of steel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57sailplane View Post
man i just could not resist.

first i think that freezing it shattering it is your best bet if you cant find the proper tool to extract it.
if you cant get it out this is what i would do as a last resort.
i am not sure if it will work for a tap but it has worked many, many times for me on rusted or over torqued bolts that have broken off down in the hole or flush. i don't think a tap should be any different maybe more stubborn.

get a nut of the right size as what the bolt hole is. use a set of needle nose to hold it over the hole then place a MIG welder nozzle over hole make sure welder is set to burn at least 1/8 inch steel so you get good enough penetration. key is to burn into the tap at the beginning moving around in a circular motion fill hole all the way to top of knot so it is flush or a little crown. let it cool this is key. its what gets the tap or bolt out.
Works great for me, especially if the break is less than about 1/4" below deck.

FWIW.I never let it cool. For me the nut gets real hot, and welds well, but the broken part, being threaded into a giant heat sink can dissipate the heat pretty fast, may have oil on it, and often doesn't weld well, so the new nut just snaps off.

Not to worry, just grab another nut, and weld it on there. a few tries, ant the bolt bottom is hot enough to get a good bond, and comes right out

Most times I go for this method before trying any easy out, drill, or similar tool.

A portable 110 MIG makes this a nice field repair that people are happy to pay for, but you can also do for a beer or two without loosing your shirt.

I don't claim my way is the right way, just something a crazy old man showed me.

Any fastener which is hot enough to glow a nice red will unthread easily, and it is now flexible enough to conform to the messed up threads around it.

84 Chevrolet Suburban K20 6.2 Banks turbo TH400/NP208 Now with G80

68 GMC C20 Parts? Truck

And a few cars
68K20 x Drill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:47 PM   #30
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

I honestly dunno if this will work for a broken tap, or not. But if I had $1 for everybody I told it to for extracting a broken bolt; I'd be retired.
If you can get a good bite on the tap, i.e. it's not broken flush with, or below the block, try this.
Get your vice grips set. Get out your propane torch & some wax. Bee's wax is most bestest, but candle wax will do just fine.
Heat your tap (or bolt) with the torch.
When you have it good and hot, hit it with the wax. The wax will be sucked into the threads.
Grab it real quick like with the vice grips, & back it outta the hole.

If it won't, or doesn't work with the tap, put this in the back of your head for your next busted bolt.

I surely hope this is a help to you.
Good luck.

El Jay
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 12:10 AM   #31
60ratrod
yes, i do

ok so i want to heat the tap and not the block then?? i'm just trying to figure this out. unfortunately it is broke slightly below the deck and i do not have a mig welder at my disposal or i would have taken a bolt and weld it to the broken tap. so if i heat the tap/block could i grab the tap with a pair of pliers and attempt to unscrew the tap??

as a second thought, i may have a torch at my disposal and while reading the second link seems to me as a more viable option. i shall let you guys know how this turns out.

-60 Chevy C10, dead 350/good th350 combo, sitting on a 76 c10 blazer frame, built from 11 different vehicles "the abomination"
-07 gmt900 silverado 1500 lt xcab z71, granite blue
-81 suzuki gs650g "shelah"- current project
-81 kz1000m1 csr "sarge" -next project (just beautification)
-07 kawasaki vulcan classic vn900

Last edited by 60ratrod; 01-04-2008 at 12:14 AM.
60ratrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 06:00 PM   #32
60ratrod
yes, i do

ok so i decided to roll my truck into the weld booth at the auto hobby shop on base today(that's where she's been sitting). one of the guys who works at the auto hobby helped me with the welding a nut on the tap method, and low and behold 6 nuts later the tap is removed!! she's still apart and will go back together tomorrow. time for the happy dance!!

-60 Chevy C10, dead 350/good th350 combo, sitting on a 76 c10 blazer frame, built from 11 different vehicles "the abomination"
-07 gmt900 silverado 1500 lt xcab z71, granite blue
-81 suzuki gs650g "shelah"- current project
-81 kz1000m1 csr "sarge" -next project (just beautification)
-07 kawasaki vulcan classic vn900
60ratrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 06:10 PM   #33
corn

Way to go!
Old 01-05-2008, 06:12 PM   #34
low'n slow
Too Dumb To Know Better

Congrats!!
low'n slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 06:24 PM   #35
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

GREAT!!!
I'm gonna remember that little trick, fo' sho'!
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 06:31 PM   #36
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

The Auto hobby shops are nice, I do some work at ours here at Kirtland AFB
s/t
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 06:37 PM   #37
57sailplane

thats good to here!
57sailplane is offline   Reply With Quote