The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-17-2008, 02:57 AM   #26
redhead69
fugedaboutit

Re: valve adjustment confusion

Man now Im worried!! lol, hey if this motor goes its only getting a bigger one!!
Old 04-17-2008, 04:35 AM   #27
crm318
Alright Alright Alright

well. i thought i would take the most fundamental approach. i got it to TDC and i just adjusted the valves according to the firing order. it bumped right of and seems to run great. thanks so much for all the replies. yall have no idea how much i have learned on this website.
GM Performance high rise intake,
Comp 268H .454/.454 218/218 110 LSA
Quadrajet carb, Flowtech headers, 2.25 40 series
HEI, Curve kit, TH 350, 3.07 gears
275/60/15s on 15x8 rallies
crm318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 05:42 AM   #28
Billla
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by crm318 View Post
well. i thought i would take the most fundamental approach. i got it to TDC and i just adjusted the valves according to the firing order.
Can you explain more of what you did - I'm not sure I understand...
Billla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 06:29 AM   #29
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billla View Post
There's no reason to adjust the valves with the engine running IMHO.
I agree 1000% when talking about a new or rebuilt engine (meaning at least new cam and lifters).
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:15 AM   #30
1tigers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billla View Post
The valves should be adjusted warm just because the clearances change, but there is no "pump up" of the lifters. If you take a hydraulic lifter apart you'll see how that just isn't possible. With a spring pushing the cup up to the limit of it's travel, what exactly is going to "pump up"?

Look at what the race shops do - how many of those do you see adjusted running? Zero.

It's always a charged discussion
race engines use solid lifters not hydraulic
1tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 10:15 PM   #31
Steelawork'n
Just hang'n around

No charge here, just an open discussion. Some engines come assemble with the valves so tight the engine won't even run so adjusting them before start up is a good idea. I wish I had a set-up that allowed for me to tune the engine before installation, but my garage is too small for something fancy like that.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:33 AM   #32
crm318
Alright Alright Alright

i meant that i had a buddy crank the motor over with a breaker bar while i put my finger over the spark plug hole to feel for each cylinders compression stroke. i went from each cylinder according to the firing order so i know that the valves were seated. it bumped of perfectly.
GM Performance high rise intake,
Comp 268H .454/.454 218/218 110 LSA
Quadrajet carb, Flowtech headers, 2.25 40 series
HEI, Curve kit, TH 350, 3.07 gears
275/60/15s on 15x8 rallies
crm318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:51 AM   #33
Billla
Account Suspended

Hmmm...that's a new one on me, but it works!
Billla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 09:35 PM   #34
Steelawork'n
Just hang'n around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
Red brings up another important item. If you are replacing the cam and lifters the lifters will need to be pumped up to get your proper valve adjustment. Running engine pumps them up. With the running adjusting method you near bouts can't get it wrong. Zero the lash and turn slowly up to one turn more. That's it, it's done, put the valve covers on it and wipe it down cause it's ready to roll out the door!
Actually, a good way to get it "pumped up" is to take an old distributor chaft, insert it and secure it down as if it were a functioning unit, then attach a cordless drill and spin it until your oil pressure reaches the proper level for your new engine. Then, start it up and adjust the valves.

This method is safely prelubes the engine w/o the need to fire it up. This method can be done with the engine in the truck or on the stand, you pick.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:41 PM   #35
spoon
Registered Penetrator

Topic revival.

I adjusted my valves in my new motor while it was on the stand, "dry adjust", per the shop manual. The engine is now installed and running, but my valvetrain is noisy. This is the first time I've ever adjusted valves "by feel" and then "1/2 to 1 turn" down. It's hard to believe there's absolutely no tool/instrument out there that will assure a positively accurate valve adjustment on these engines, which frustrates me.

It is what it is though, and it's quite possible that I do not have the "touch" or the "feel" required to adjust valves in a SBC. Any tips?
spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 02:10 AM   #36
redhead69
fugedaboutit

I just installed some new lifters, pushrods, and rocker arms and followed these instructions
http://www.compcams.com/Technical/In.../COMP4-116.pdf

I previously used the method where you adjust half the valves on the 1 and the other half on the 6 position, as well as the running method. I always had clatter on the top end and just assumed it "is what it is". I am VERY pleased with the way the motor sounds now.. much quieter.

Last edited by redhead69; 09-07-2008 at 02:10 AM.
redhead69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:47 AM   #37
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

That's the way I did mine, but the directions were on the scorpion roller rocker site.
That makes the most sense to me and eliminates any valve overlap due to cam grinds.
s/t
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 10:40 AM   #38
spoon
Registered Penetrator

Let me ask you fellas this then. With the motor running for about ten minutes, there are two or three pushrods that have yet to spit out oil. If I have a valve that's not oiling, could this be causing some valvetrain "ticking"?
Old 09-13-2008, 01:40 PM   #39
WIDESIDE72

I have an all steel street legal 79 Malibu with a 383, balanced, forged Eagle crank, Keith Black forged pistons, Brodix aluminum heads that has run 12.80 in the 1/4 mile. I bracket race with it and have defeated quite a few cars that were faster due to my consistency at the line. It has a hydraulic flat tappet cam (soon to be solid roller), but since it has hydraulic lifters, does that mean that it is not a "race engine" ?
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 03:35 PM   #40
spoon
Registered Penetrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIDESIDE72 View Post
blah blah blah
Hmm, I give your hijack attempt a 6.5. Okay, a 7 since you added all the smileys!
Old 09-13-2008, 11:36 PM   #41
old Chevy guy

I never had any race engines but I had more than a few fast cars with sbc moters and we always adjusted the valves running ,by ear as was learned from old school teachers and never had a problem or a cam failure or anything else. BUT my opinion is do what works best for you and what your comfy with no matter what anybody else thinks. Oh and I think the headers over heating is a timing issue too.
old Chevy guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 11:47 PM   #42
Jtrux
I'm a poor spectator

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Chevy guy View Post
I never had any race engines but I had more than a few fast cars with sbc moters and we always adjusted the valves running ,by ear as was learned from old school teachers and never had a problem or a cam failure or anything else. BUT my opinion is do what works best for you and what your comfy with no matter what anybody else thinks. Oh and I think the headers over heating is a timing issue too.
Headers over heating IS a timing issue, it's too far retarded, advance it and the glowing red headers go away.

1993 Chevy 2500 4x4 ExCab LWB 454/NV4500 Tow rig

1977 Ford F100 2x4 LWB 1st truck I owned, still have it!!!

1979 Ford F150 4x4 SWB Built Ford Tough!!!

1971 Chevy Blazer 350 / SM465 / NP205 UNDER CONSTRUCTION Soon to have a LQ4 6.0!!!
Jtrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 12:55 AM   #43
bob1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelawork'n View Post
It's really not that hard. I did mine while it was idling. First you need to get some spray deflectors from NAPA to control oil spray from your lifters. Next, you loosen them carefully until they begin to rattle. Then, you tighten them slowly intil they stop being noisy. Then tighten them no more than one full turn. I do one side and put the valve cover on and then do the other side. There is no order, just one by one. Sometimes when you get a new engine, the first start is with the valves loose.

You more experienced guys might have special tools for this, but I've always done it and seen it done with the engine running. I have over 200k on my engine with no problems.
My friends dad tought me this one on my camaro, except we cut the top of valve covers out. Works great, he has been doing it this way for years. It's alot faster and works good.
bob1967 is offline   Reply With Quote