The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-30-2008, 12:37 PM   #26
lyrikz
PITbut

Re: Starting the beast. Any tips i should know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnookmaster View Post
NOTE: I always prime the oil pump in a new motor every time! I take an old points type distributor,remove the cam gear,and take all the advance weights and stuff off,then I weld a nut on top of the shaft.Drop it in the motor and spin the nut with a drill. You need hold the distributor while doing this.This will fill the oil filter and pressurize the oil in the motor.When you crank and fire the motor,you will have instant oil pressure,and no dry cranking with no oil pressure.I know they make a tool for this,but this works well for me.Good luck,you'll be fine.
Ya, probably just going to pick a primer up at the store today. Its 830 on sunday, and im doing some final touch ups before we start. I got my spark plug wires ran under the headers.. I made some neat little holders that keep the wires off the headers. I will have pics of those in my build. I still need to drain the gas tank and add some more gas, coolant, oil, PS fluid. Thats about it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlid View Post
Call your cam manufacture to ask what oil they recommend for start up. The oil sold now has changed a lot over the last few years and may not protect a new cam. It is not unusual these days to wipe out the cam bearings because of the oil. Check out the below link from Hot Rod. Good advice.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...ech/index.html
The best break in oil out there is Joe Gibbs break in oil. Im using that for the first 300 miles, then switching over to Shell rotella T. That has lead in it still. Delo 400 had lead in it, but has now removed it recently..... The only place in washington that carries joe gibbs is the place that built my motor...

I will update as the gay goes on....
lyrikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 12:55 PM   #27
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyrikz View Post
Ya, probably just going to pick a primer up at the store today. Its 830 on sunday, and im doing some final touch ups before we start. I got my spark plug wires ran under the headers.. I made some neat little holders that keep the wires off the headers. I will have pics of those in my build. I still need to drain the gas tank and add some more gas, coolant, oil, PS fluid. Thats about it....

The best break in oil out there is Joe Gibbs break in oil. Im using that for the first 300 miles, then switching over to Shell rotella T. That has lead in it still. Delo 400 had lead in it, but has now removed it recently..... The only place in washington that carries joe gibbs is the place that built my motor...

I will update as the gay goes on....

Wrong element^ you meant Zinc! But I think they removed it from Rotella T also. You may want to double check.

s/t
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.

Last edited by Sport/Truck; 11-30-2008 at 12:57 PM.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:08 PM   #28
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport/Truck View Post
Wrong element^ you meant Zinc! But I think they removed it from Rotella T also. You may want to double check.

s/t
zinc, what did i say? Lead? ahahah... Thinking of unleaded gas for some reason. ahah. I have to drain my gas tank...
Old 11-30-2008, 01:12 PM   #29
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyrikz View Post
zinc, what did i say? Lead? ahahah... Thinking of unleaded gas for some reason. ahah. I have to drain my gas tank...
I knew what you meant, I would be going crazy about now getting ready for the big day.
s/t
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:53 PM   #30
Jayss109

I hope you have some gauges connected.... Water temp, Oil pressure MINIMUM!!! Got your timing light? cant have too many fans cooling. Fresh battery, fresh gas.

I think youve got everythign else covered!

Fire it up!
Old 11-30-2008, 09:13 PM   #31
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
I knew what you meant, I would be going crazy about now getting ready for the big day.
s/t
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayss109 View Post
I hope you have some gauges connected.... Water temp, Oil pressure MINIMUM!!! Got your timing light? cant have too many fans cooling. Fresh battery, fresh gas.

I think youve got everythign else covered!

Fire it up!
Welp, it fired up.. Sounded great. THEN THE MOTHER ****ER CAUGHT ON FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!! YES< ON FIRE.... im not kidding.. im not joking. Im sick....

I will come back on here in a few hours or tomorrow and give the rest of the story.. it only ran for 5 minutes....
Old 11-30-2008, 10:03 PM   #32
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Whhhhhhhhhaaaaatttttttttttttttt no way...

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 11:00 PM   #33
hotrodhomi

Crap, I think we forgot to say fire extinguisher. I hope the damage was minimum.
hotrodhomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 11:09 PM   #34
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Fire extinguisher now on top of my list......and not a kitchen sized unit!
I hope it's not that bad....
(worried sick)
s/t

Last edited by Sport/Truck; 11-30-2008 at 11:09 PM.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:42 PM   #35
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRENCHBLUE72 View Post
Whhhhhhhhhaaaaatttttttttttttttt no way...
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodhomi View Post
Crap, I think we forgot to say fire extinguisher. I hope the damage was minimum.
Quote:
Fire extinguisher now on top of my list......and not a kitchen sized unit!
I hope it's not that bad....
(worried sick)
s/t
ok, im here. Damage was minimal. But when you see the passenger side of your baby ON FIRE it does something to you.... I used my old guage cluster and hooked up the oil pressure line to check oil. It was about 2 inches away from the header. After 1 or 3 attempts at getting it fired, it roared to life. Smoke everywhere from the headers/paint, and exhaust/ paint. No leaks of any kind anywhere, sounded really good. Then the smoke got thicker and as i was going to grab a screw driver so the guy could adjust the idle to hold it at 2gs, BBOOOOOOOFFFFFF up in flames.

Luckily i had a towel to distinguish the flames that come from the carb every once in awhile, and my buddy had the extinguisher...... So, it went up, i freaked, he put it out, it came back, he put it out, it came back. So on and so on about 5 times. ahaha... What happened was the line running to the guage cluster melted and poored oil on the headers....... ALSO, i had a plastic, (not glass) filter that i guess got a bit hot and MELTED and was leaking gas. We found this LATER after we checked the damage. Im glad the oil side went up and not the gas side. Since then i have repositioned the filter, rewrapped all wires and im good to go i think.

Sooo, about 2 hours later, everything is clean, everything is rerouted, and tomorrow im going to fire it up again and do the full break in... Needless to say, everyone else acted like it was no big deal. I actually SAT and didnt say anything for 15 minutes because it felt like a TOTAL failure to me..... I guess when i think about it now, its not uncommon for small things.. Glad i was prepared. One thing that did concern me is that my mufflers go through the center crossmember. Those mufflers are DAAAMMMN hot.... Anyone running mufflers high, do you have heat shields on the bottom of the cab????

I have pics of the damage, and what i did to fix any future problems, but i will post them later.. Im just a bit down at the moment....
Old 11-30-2008, 11:43 PM   #36
lyrikz
PITbut

also, what i have learned.
1) always have an extinguisher
2) run electical guages
3)always have an extinguisher.
4) take your time.

thats all..
Old 11-30-2008, 11:50 PM   #37
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Glad to hear the damage was minimum......
I'd remove anything plastic or rubber after the fuel pump. Its a bad combo.
s/t
Old 12-01-2008, 12:51 AM   #38
Boog
laying low

And I suppose you were doing this IN your shop? If so it could have been worse. It could have caught the ceiling on fire and burned the house.
Sounds like your helper stayed calm though. Gas and oil fires can get out of hand real fast.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:54 AM   #39
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
And I suppose you were doing this IN your shop? If so it could have been worse. It could have caught the ceiling on fire and burned the house.
Sounds like your helper stayed calm though. Gas and oil fires can get out of hand real fast.
No, outside. everyone stayed calm. Everyone thought it was fine except me. i just sat there stunned. I spent months getting this thing pretty. ahaha.. And 10 seconds of flame made it not so pretty. ahah..

I have a video uploading right now, along with some pictures of some stuff. Burnt fuel filter, burnt plug wires, (just discolored, they are in great shape after i cleaned em)..... pics and vid on the way.. I dont have the vid of the fire cause i told the wife to grab the car to hook the battery up to the charger and thats were the fire started. You can see the smoke getting worse...
Old 12-01-2008, 01:15 AM   #40
Boog
laying low

Ah outside, good. I know you were excited, to say the least. Sounds like a little clean up and moving the oil and gas lines are in order and it should be ready to run.
Hey this reminds me of the last one I fired off. I had the timing too retarded so it heated up pretty quick and I had a short piece of plugged heater hose pushed down onto the pipe nipple at the intake manifold but never had put a clamp on it. I had it rev'd up there real good when all of a sudden that short piece of hose shot off and bounced off the shop door and a hot stream of water followed it. Water and steam went everywhere. Had to clean up my mess and put a clamp on it this time and got back to the breakin. It's a lot funnier now than it was then.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:15 AM   #41
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Glad to hear the damage was minimum......
I'd remove anything plastic or rubber after the fuel pump. Its a bad combo.
s/t
here is the video of the start up. When i was priming the motor with the thing you put on a drill and stick in the dist. hole, oil came out of the oil pressure hole. Thats where i hooked the guage up to, ThATS what melted. As you see the video you will see the smoke, most of that was from all the ceramic paint on the headers and exhaust, but it starts to get worse on the drivers side. What was happening was oil was dripping on the exhaust. ahah...

Old 12-01-2008, 01:24 AM   #42
hotrodhomi

no vid of the flames?
Old 12-01-2008, 01:25 AM   #43
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
Ah outside, good. I know you were excited, to say the least. Sounds like a little clean up and moving the oil and gas lines are in order and it should be ready to run.
Hey this reminds me of the last one I fired off. I had the timing too retarded so it heated up pretty quick and I had a short piece of plugged heater hose pushed down onto the pipe nipple at the intake manifold but never had put a clamp on it. I had it rev'd up there real good when all of a sudden that short piece of hose shot off and bounced off the shop door and a hot stream of water followed it. Water and steam went everywhere. Had to clean up my mess and put a clamp on it this time and got back to the breakin. It's a lot funnier now than it was then.
Holy chit. I have two hose nipples on the radiator and the intake manifold with no clamps. AHAHA you saved me a HUUUGEE mess. I will take the time and go get the clamps for those.

Here are the pics of the mess and my plug wires.

This is the other side of the motor. THe fuel filter was probably 4 inches away from the header, maybe less... if that caught fire, i dont know what would of happened.

Heres my burnt wires.. Its just soot... I got em all cleaned up, i wrapped a few of em with some heat tape.

This is where i screwed in the stock plastic oil line and thats what opened up and dumped oil on the header. The picture is of the autometer oil pressure guage that i had SITTING IN A BOX THAT I FORGOT about ahahaha.....

This is my wife. BOOZER
Old 12-01-2008, 01:27 AM   #44
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Glad the fire was minimal sounded pretty good though gotta love the b.b. chevys. Love those front daisey wheels too..

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:44 AM   #45
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Wondered what all that smoke over the Frylands was today. Glad you got it all sorted out.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:22 PM   #46
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRENCHBLUE72 View Post
Glad the fire was minimal sounded pretty good though gotta love the b.b. chevys. Love those front daisey wheels too..
i guess it was very minimal now that i have slept on it.... The rims are not going to be on this truck, they will be for sale soon... The guy below me is this topic is getting them. ahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Wondered what all that smoke over the Frylands was today. Glad you got it all sorted out.

ya ya. It was ALMOST that bad... SOOOO glad i had a fire extinguisher...

I moved my fuel filter and got everything else set where it should be. I decided im going to replace the rubber piece of the fuel line with some braided hose. Im also going to throw on the stock clutch fan for break in so i can guaruntee that it will stay cool. I dont think that little fan i had will work at all...

PT 2 of the video will be up later today...
Old 12-01-2008, 01:57 PM   #47
WorkinLonghorn

Ditch that little see-through gas filter! There's a reason the factory doesn't have plastic parts on a PRESSURIZED FUEL LINE!!!
I'd say you dodged a bullet,no,a meteorite.
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, stereo speakers, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 02:16 PM   #48
hotrodhomi

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkinLonghorn View Post
Ditch that little see-through gas filter! There's a reason the factory doesn't have plastic parts on a PRESSURIZED FUEL LINE!!!
I'd say you dodged a bullet,no,a meteorite.
You are only going to see 5 to 6 PSI unless you have a special pump, plastic fuel filters are fine. FI is another story.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:25 PM   #49
Spray-Bomb
Texas Big Wig

I like your wife

Glad it didnt burn to a crisp, I know that any lil fire woulda freaked me out too
I hate it when they back fire & you cant keep it running...

Killer
Spray-Bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:50 PM   #50
WorkinLonghorn

Quote:
You are only going to see 5 to 6 PSI unless you have a special pump, plastic fuel filters are fine. FI is another story.
He'll be fine until a belt breaks and hits the gas line,or there is another fire, or it gets near the header again,or until it just gives out. I personallly don't need to see the gas in the line. Even if the risk is small,I don't understand the advantage that justifies that risk.
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, stereo speakers, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote