The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-25-2009, 06:27 PM   #26
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Re: Cab Support Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol Curt View Post
I think you are right about that part!! As I look at Alans pic it makes a little more sense. Where he has extended the inner rocker piece from the floor pan....does the top of that inner rocker just get ground down level with the floor and then welded to the floor? I think the inner rocker I have would stick up above the floor. You can't really tell it in this pic, but the inner most vertical part of the rocker sticks up about 1/8" above the floor. I keep hearing people refer to the door seal fastening to that part and I'm confused about that.
Attachment 424365
I ground mine off even with the floor when everything was lined up. The door seal goes over the outer rocker lip.
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 03:57 PM   #27
TimE
Hey Y'all!!

Have you made any headway on this olcurt?
Old 02-01-2009, 10:20 AM   #28
ol Curt

No progress for awhile. We had a bad ice storm and I am without power since Wednesday. I'm using a small generator to do a few small tasks such as my first online experience this week!! I was using a small electric heater off the generator and living in one room till last night. A former neighbor came over and we wired the generator to my furnace...that helped a bunch. Problem is, it is a small generator and has a small tank. I have been getting up every three hours thru the night since Wednesday to fuel the darn thing!!

I had a couple 20 hour workdays as I am a grounds superintendent at a local University and they hate to cancel classes and 85% of our students live on campus. They did cancel and close the university one day, but all that meant for me was that most others got a day off paid while my crew was there hard at work.
ol Curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:51 AM   #29
65sublime

Ol Curt,
I had replaced both on side the front and back floor pieces. They were a very close butt fit, maybe 1/8" off. My sequence was to trim away enough of the outside rocker to let the patches sit on the bottom flange or curl of the outer rocker, then fit up the floor joint. The pictues are not in any order but I think you can see what I did. At the toe board and tunnel, I lap welded the joint, the rest are butt welded. The recessed mount holes were off 1/2-3/4", both sides. The pieces were from different manufacturers. I wonder if the panels were made for the 67-72 version which may be slightly different at the mount and seat rib shape. I hope this helps.
Tom

65sublime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 12:37 PM   #30
TimE
Hey Y'all!!

Wow! Sorry to hear about your troubles. Hopefully things will get back to some semblance of normalcy for you soon.

On a side note, I sure am glad I live in the south. I don't know if I could deal with ice storms. You guys that live in these type environments are or either .

Nice work/pics 65sublime. These pics really help to visualize the assembly of these parts.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:56 PM   #31
ol Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimE View Post
Wow! Sorry to hear about your troubles. Hopefully things will get back to some semblance of normalcy for you soon.

On a side note, I sure am glad I live in the south. I don't know if I could deal with ice storms. You guys that live in these type environments are or either .

Nice work/pics 65sublime. These pics really help to visualize the assembly of these parts.
Pretty sure it is the
Old 02-02-2009, 11:26 PM   #32
TimE
Hey Y'all!!

Old 02-08-2009, 10:56 AM   #33
ol Curt

Well, I'm finally back in the garage with power. Some pics later today. Seems like it is a mangled mess, but i guess it all gets covered. The hardest part seems to be what portions of the patch parts to leave and what parts are duplicated of another adjacent patch. Hopefully it will resemble a truck when I'm done!
It didn't seem like much of the cab support is touching the main brace underneath, but I got a couple good tack welds on it, and I suppose the weight of the cab on it will help hold it down.

Last edited by ol Curt; 02-08-2009 at 10:56 AM.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:09 AM   #34
joe231

glad to hear it Curt!
Old 02-08-2009, 12:25 PM   #35
TimE
Hey Y'all!!

Quote:
Well, I'm finally back in the garage with power.
Glad to hear that you're back in business!

Quote:
Seems like it is a mangled mess, but i guess it all gets covered. The hardest part seems to be what portions of the patch parts to leave and what parts are duplicated of another adjacent patch. Hopefully it will resemble a truck when I'm done!
I know EXACTLY what you mean...
You're doing great though. Keep it up!
Old 02-08-2009, 02:53 PM   #36
ol Curt

For those who were just doing a rebuild and not a full bore frame off restore, what did you do with your frame parts that are exposed when portions of floor are being replaced? Just clean up as much loose stuff as possible and then POR 15 or similar stuff?
Old 02-28-2009, 11:09 AM   #37
Alan's Classic

Any progress? How's the floor coming?
Old 02-28-2009, 08:12 PM   #38
ol Curt

I hav ebeen back on it this weekend. I ran into the same problem you did with the mount hole being out of alignment. I also find it REALLY hard to get all three pieces lined up to bolt up....i.e. floor, floor support and a-Pillar support. The A-Pillar was not the same as original but I think it will work. I got the pan tacked in place today, but sill doing a LOT of head scratching!!

I came inside for awhile to regain my sanity.

I'll try to post some pics later or tomorrow. Thanks for checking in though!
Old 02-28-2009, 08:16 PM   #39
ol Curt

I think I will be having to make a few relief cuts on the rocker when I get ready to put it on. It fits fine at the rear but around the new a-pillar patch...not so good. I think I saw Alan do this. I'll have to go back and check his textbook to see what i can do!
Old 02-28-2009, 08:29 PM   #40
Alan's Classic

Quote:
I think I will be having to make a few relief cuts on the rocker when I get ready to put it on. It fits fine at the rear but around the new a-pillar patch...not so good. I think I saw Alan do this. I'll have to go back and check his textbook to see what i can do!
I don't recall making any relief cuts on the outer rocker if that is what your talking about. The only relief cuts I made if I remember right was on the floor along the fire wall so it would contour the floor brace. It's been a while ago, my memory might be fuzzy.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:14 PM   #41
ol Curt

You're right, it wasn't you...your memory is ok!
I know I saw one. I'll have to keep looking.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:19 PM   #42
Alan's Classic

I did have to cut on my a pillar patch cause they didn't offer one for a 64-66 at the time I bought mine. I bought a 67-72 and made it work. My outer rocker would not go on cause it was hitting a high spot on the pillar patch. I've got a pic of the cut I made somewhere. I cut the high spot area out and flipped it over and welded back in.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:18 PM   #43
TimE
Hey Y'all!!

Quote:
I also find it REALLY hard to get all three pieces lined up to bolt up....i.e. floor, floor support and a-Pillar support. The A-Pillar was not the same as original but I think it will work. I got the pan tacked in place today, but sill doing a LOT of head scratching!!
Sounds like we're in the same boat. The fitment seems to be the biggest time consuming part of all. Getting the 3 pieces lined up is where I am at on mine. Hope to get it mocked up next time I work on it.

BTW, I wanted to thank you for the questions and pics of this process that you have posted. It has really helped me out in my build.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:37 PM   #44
ol Curt

Unfortunately many of us are in the same boat.But, we have some great members here to guide us. Sometimes it feels like the boat is taking in water. I'm not a great swimmer, so I have become an expert baler!

Last edited by ol Curt; 02-28-2009 at 11:37 PM.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:39 PM   #45
TimE
Hey Y'all!!

Truer words could not be spoken.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:43 PM   #46
Alan's Classic

Hang in there guys. I walk away for a while and come back to it when I feel like I'm not making progress. Sometimes when you come back you might see something you didn't see before. It's like tunnel vision.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:53 AM   #47
ol Curt

TimE, thought I might get to meet you and have a beer and/or pizza as I will be coaching in a soccer tournament in AL end of next week, but it is in Birmingham. You are WAY down in AL!

Guys, Let me ask a question regarding trying to line up the holes in all these different aftermarket parts. Wouldn't it make sense to line them all up from the outermost, say the a-pillar patch, weld the holes shut on the other two and re-drill them? If that sounds goofy, you can say so. I have thick skin, although my wife says it is the skull that is most thick on me!
Old 03-01-2009, 10:25 AM   #48
jason65
Registerd User

I beat you'll get er done soon. This board is like a living how to book wrighten in a language we all can understand. Can't wait to see what your up to. When ya gonna come coach in Ok?
jason65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:04 AM   #49
TimE
Hey Y'all!!

Quote:
TimE, thought I might get to meet you and have a beer and/or pizza as I will be coaching in a soccer tournament in AL end of next week, but it is in Birmingham. You are WAY down in AL!
I'm only about 45 miles from the coast so you can't get much further south! PM me the days you're gonna be in Birmingham.

Quote:
Guys, Let me ask a question regarding trying to line up the holes in all these different aftermarket parts. Wouldn't it make sense to line them all up from the outermost, say the a-pillar patch, weld the holes shut on the other two and re-drill them? If that sounds goofy, you can say so. I have thick skin, although my wife says it is the skull that is most thick on me!
Well, what I plan to do is try to get everything lined up visually with the holes(just tacked together), remount the door, check the door gaps and make adjustments as necessary to get it right. THEN I'll actually start the real welding. Don't know if this is the right way or not but it sounded like a good idea to me.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:11 AM   #50
ol Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimE View Post
I'm only about 45 miles from the coast so you can't get much further south! PM me the days you're gonna be in Birmingham.

Well, what I plan to do is try to get everything lined up visually with the holes(just tacked together), remount the door, check the door gaps and make adjustments as necessary to get it right. THEN I'll actually start the real welding. Don't know if this is the right way or not but it sounded like a good idea to me.
Yeah, I am doing somewhat the same. I have been using a couple pieces of allthread thru the holes to keep them aligned while I tack, but some just don't line up ....period.

Last edited by ol Curt; 03-01-2009 at 11:11 AM.