The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-17-2009, 06:55 PM   #26
dmartin1

Re: MAKE your truck surface rust?

[QUOTE=N2TRUX;3468803]What he is saying is you don't have to put the acid on the truck. The fumes from the acid will cause any exposed metal to rust.

If you want "the look" you need to try to emulate what the sun does to the paint. On the areas that are exposed most to the sun, such as the roof, hood, tops of fenders, lightly wet sand until you start to see metal exposed. This will quickly rust, and give the weathered or "patina" look.[/QUO

i dont think i would wana do the acid thing haha,all my tools would problly die.

i may try the scotch brite trick and do harder in some areas.im just going for a patina look
dmartin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:12 PM   #27
unclewatts
70 Chevrolet=Obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
What he is saying is you don't have to put the acid on the truck. The fumes from the acid will cause any exposed metal to rust.

If you want "the look" you need to try to emulate what the sun does to the paint. On the areas that are exposed most to the sun, such as the roof, hood, tops of fenders, lightly wet sand until you start to see metal exposed. This will quickly rust, and give the weathered or "patina" look.
Don't pour acid on your truck! N2TRUX has the most sensible way to do it and would probably look the most natural. Just my $.02

I'm Just like my truck. Old, Ugly and Grouchy. Except my truck starts easily in the morning and doesn't smoke!

IT'S NOT EASY BEING GREEN! -Kermit the frog

1970 Chevrolet C-10 Longbed Stepside :
350, Muncie M20, 3.08 GM corp. positraction Forest green exterior/light green interior(Where all my money goes)

1996 Toyota Corolla (Parts runner)
unclewatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:39 PM   #28
mbgmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev2809 View Post
really? and the actual truck doesnt rust, just the acid?
No the truck will rust. Its like the way they used to brown rifle barrels before they knew how to "blue" them The fumes from the acid will rust your steel. It will also rust any equipment tool or anything else to
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:44 PM   #29
mbgmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclewatts View Post
Don't pour acid on your truck! N2TRUX has the most sensible way to do it and would probably look the most natural. Just my $.02
Nope don't pour it on. No need to. Takes to long to do it naturally. If you want to do it naturally just keep it forever like the trucks your trying to mimmick.
I wouldn't even do it at all but he asked how
Old 08-18-2009, 05:51 PM   #30
70rs/ss

In mohave AZ you will have a heck of a time getting surface rust since it isn't humid here!! But a fine grit of sandpaper 1,000 or 2,000 grit w/water and you'll get through the primer and to the metal if you work on one spot long enough.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:52 PM   #31
mbgmike

This is a friend of mines daily driver. He can afford to drive just about any truck made but he drive this old ford.Been in the family for years. It looked like this ever since I have known him. Ain't changed a bit
Attached Images