The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-25-2010, 12:59 PM   #26
67cheby
67cheby

Re: Has this forum saved you money on a purchase of a 67-72 truck or related parts?

i had never heard of Porterbuilt, and i was never going to lay my truck on the ground......So NO it has not saved me money but, cost me a FORTUNE.... Dont get me wrong i do love this site but it has cost me a fortune
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 01:17 PM   #27
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Re: Has this forum saved you money on a purchase of a 67-72 truck or related parts?

I do not think I saved any cash by being on this board but the knowledge I learned, ideas I have found and learning about the various vendors to buy parts has been priceless for me. I have ordered from board vendors and sold some used parts from this site.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 01:31 PM   #28
Leviticus
Shake and Bake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesburb View Post
Oh hell yeah!! If it were not for this site, I would not have found tkorinek with his awesome deals and almost endless inventory. Or Randy (I'll part out anything) teeitup, who helped me out with some items years back.

Whether money is saved or not, this site is worth every dime when it comes to making what we do almost simple. I know many of us can really appreciate what building cars and trucks prior to the advent of the internet was like. When you needed the long discontinued part for, say, an a/c control head in something to get it functioning. Armed only with the part number (maybe), you called that list of old GM dealers that you had written on the back of an old business card. When all of those failed you, you went to the store and bought a copy of Hemmings Motor News and searched through the thousands of pages looking for a NOS supplier of a/c parts. After compiling a list of all that you could find, you sat down and started calling them on a phone that had a cord. After getting to speak with some super-nice people and some that you would rather forget, you have assumed the position and accepted that this little part that would fit in a Sucrets tin is actually worth the ninety bones that the guy on the other end is asking. You give him your credit card number, he scans through his little book of bad cc numbers, decides that you are ok, and sends it out.

These days it is so much easier. Think of all the different places (geographically) that you have bought parts from. How easy it is to place a WTB ad. How many responses you get to your ad within 24hrs. The fact that one or two of the resposes are actually what you need and one is very reasonably priced. I can go on and on, but you get the picture.

The luxury of a site like this makes it seems like I am cheating compared to the old way.

Money saved?? Yes, but time saved and sanity retained far outweigh the money in my book. Many thanks go out to the owners/creators of the site as you have done a fine job!!
This cracked me up, I totally remember waiting for a Summit Racing catalog so I could order stuff. And the phone with a cord thing we were at the swap meet a couple months back and my nephew looks at something and asks my dad, hey Grandpa, what is that? It was a Rotary Phone

Ah, you definitely put it in perspective for me Moses! This site rocks.

"You are remembered for the rules you break."
General Douglas MacArthur

"Support Our Troops And The NRA"
Leviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:29 PM   #29
Legolas894
Chemist under the hood...

I never really did any work on a car and certainly never a truck. I saw my '67 on Kijiji for $1500 and then did google searches and found this forum. I saw it was probably worth the $1500 and bought it the next day.

Without this forum, I would never have known:
-how to remove the headlight switch (damn that tab)!
-the difference between a temperature switch and temperature sensor
-how to find a key-off battery drain (short behind the fusebox grrr)
-how to find a key-on drain (messed up trailer light wiriing-thanks LonghornMan)
-how to do replace the wheel bearing and wheel cylinders on the front drums
-why there's no mounting holes in the head for the alternator!
-that a 283, 305 and 350 SBC have many interchangeable parts
-that I had the spark plug wires on the wrong cylinder (oops)
-what NOS, NIB, SBC, and WTF means

Also I appreciate the down-right helpfulness of the people on the sight. I've never had anything but helpful advice and patience when asking a newbie question.

So, I guess I would say that I would have paid thousands to get the truck fixed professionally and with this forum I was able to do most of the work myself or with little help.

Current fleet:
2013 GMC Sierra, 5.3L, 4x4
1988 GMC Sierra, 305, Auto
1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, 360 V8
1997 VW Cabrio, 2.0L
2017 Toyota Rav4, 2.5L

Stuff I wish I still had:
2013 Toyota Matrix [RIP]
1967 GMC 910 Fleetside, 283 V8 [1st Love-SOLD]
1987 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4X4, 4.0 I-6 [SOLD}
1994 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 5.7LV8 [SOLD]
1995 Chevrolet Astro AWD, 4.3L V6 (RIP)