The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-18-2010, 02:10 PM   #1
fryer1979
Redneck Hillbilly

Fryer1979 '65 C-10 Build

After a long month of waiting I finally took delivery of my new project Friday the 16th. She is a 1965 Chevy C-10, 2wd, longbed, small window. The plan for her is a complete tear down for a fairly simple frame off resto-mod build. I don't want to do anything too crazy with her as she will be my daily driver when she is complete. So for now I am looking at updating the brakes to discs at all four corners, converting to a 5 on 5 lug pattern, and adding power steering. I'd like to drop her somewhere in the 3-4 range, and use some Torque Thrust wheels. I've got a 327ci to rebuild (shown in pictures), that I will use some basic performanc parts on like; Intake, cam, aluminum heads, ignition, long tube headers etc. I want to use an aftermarket EFI system but haven't decided yet which one, although I am leaning towards the Holley Commander 950 TBI systems. I've got a 700R4 trans to rebuild for her, and would like to run a posi rear end with a gear ratio somewhere between the 3.23 and 3.73 range (not decided there either). Body will be largely stock, just replace a couple bad panels, straighten her up, and give her a nice paint job with some good metal flake.

The interior is where I am still not settled on yet. I don't want to do a whole lot of modification to the factory sheet metal, but it will need to be comfortable enough to drive long distance in addition to every day. My wife's only request in my taking on this project is that I put in some creature comforts for her since we will be using his for a road trip vehicle. AC is a must then, and I am looking into other goodies like; power window kits, seat warmers, and remote door locks. Of course there will be a good ammount of sound deadening material and insulation, as other trucks I have ridden in of this era tend to give that hollow tin can feel. Our biggest contingeny point right now is the color; I am a fan of black interiors, but my wife wants to see a combination of something like a turquiose blue mixed with a cream white (something like the factory offerings).

Sorry for a long post, but it is my introduction to my build project so I figured it was appropriate. I am open to suggestions to help make this project more time/cost efficient, so if you have something by all means fire away. It will be a month of two before I really tear into the truck, mostly because there is a title issue to work out, and I need to get a few more tools in my shop. It's going to be a long build as time and money are in short supply (as I know is very common), but I will do my best to keep updated with as many pictures as possible. I have to appologise for this first round of pics though, my digital camera died the morning of the big delivery, so all I had was my cell phone camera, and the old Razer is getting to be a bit worn out. I will post some crisper pics once I get a new camera. So at long last, here are the pics:

Arrival
Name:  delivery416201001.jpg
Views: 2412
Size:  61.6 KB

Name:  delivery416201002.jpg
Views: 2376
Size:  38.2 KB

Name:  delivery416201004.jpg
Views: 2359
Size:  35.8 KB

Name:  delivery416201005.jpg
Views: 2386
Size:  45.8 KB

Is there some rule about project trucks coming with a bed loaded with stuff?
Name:  delivery416201006.jpg
Views: 2380
Size:  39.4 KB

Last edited by fryer1979; 05-09-2010 at 02:42 PM.
fryer1979 is offline   Reply With Quote