The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-04-2003, 02:33 AM   #26
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

If anything head to Dallas area!! He could get paid to drive to Oklahoma and work on some guys (You know who you are!!!) trucks up there and the land is more available to build a custom shop here than in California.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 03:40 AM   #27
KIILew

Aw, Mike...

I am sorry to hear about that unsettling news. I really know what that is like. Anyway, sometimes these things work out for the best! Particularly in your case, I am betting. You have too many talents to let that news get you down!

Hang in there, my friend!

Ken
KIILew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 06:03 AM   #28
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Mike,

things around my parts are weird. The county I work in has the worst unemployment rate in the state. Mecklenburg county, the one Charlotte is located in is wide open. They are building stuff so fast it will make your head spin. But to me, it has it drawbacks, which I don't want to do. Such as driving 1 to 1-1/2 hours to work, one way. Unreal traffic jambs, etc. This may seem strange to some of you big city guys, but it's not something I'm going to do.

About the only thing going up around here is comercial stuff, something I absolutely hate. Steel and concrete sucks big time. I'm an old wood butcher at heart and working on comercial stuff don't cut it for me. The company I worked for was owned by one guy. Him and a couple other guys started another company where they build medical buildings for lease or sale, mostly for lease. They are making a killing at this stuff, and we, as usual, get short end of the stick. We used to build million dollar houses when I first started with him about 10 years ago. We haven't built a house in several years.

Thanks for the offer on moving, but I think I'll stay out here in the sticks for the duration.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 06:11 AM   #29
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Oh, one more thing I forgot to say.

I'm not worried in the least. As a matter of fact, he did me a favor. I hated the guy anyway. Always have. I went to school with the jerk, and you know what, he's still a jerk.

I used to own my own small construction company. I had 6 guys working for me at one time, with two crews going. We built a bunch of homes. I never contracted, just sub contracted. I worked by the foot. Made real good money too. All of a sudden damn mobile homes and modular homes kicked in and the type houses we built dried up. The only homes being built here now are ones that you couldn't do by the foot. It's hard to price by the foot on a million dollar house, you know.

For the time being, I'm going to lone it and do some remodeling. This is where the money is right now anyway. With so many people worried about their jobs, they keep what they have and fix it up. This is right up my alley.

Thanks for all the kind words folks. It is appreciated. Don't worry too much about me though. I've been through this stuff before. They ain't getting a cherry, you know?

1985 Chevy C-10
Old 03-04-2003, 06:16 AM   #30
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Mike,

for sure, you are right about Cali having cool cars and trucks. Everyone knows all the stuff is started out there and comes east anyway. But, by the time it gets here, they have worked out all the bugs, and we end up with the best stuff.

The TV thing. I've never heard anything else about it. I'll let everyone know if I do.

Mike
Old 03-04-2003, 07:15 AM   #31
CHaingKaiShek
I love goooooold!

Sorry to hear about the lay-off Mike. It seems to be happening all over the country to lots of good folks.

But like everyone said, we have faith things will turn out good for you in the end. So try not to worry about it too much, eh!

Jeff
There's whiskey in the jar-o."
CHaingKaiShek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 12:55 AM   #32
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

well, Mike, like i mentioned earlier in this post, i feel your pain. i got the axe tonight, after working one of the hardest shifts i've ever put in. i could tell the boss was not happy to do it. but, being the low man on the totem pole, you're always the first to go. oh well, im going to take it easy for a while, and not let it worry me too much. my mom, who works in order entry for the same company, tells me that the salesmen are still thinking good thoughts. hopefully, they can get out and sell some stuff, so i can get back to work soon.
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote