The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-16-2012, 12:48 PM   #26
mavdog32

Re: Rear Air Bags for Dummies

5.3 is a 325, its bored .020 over and running forged internals. Turbo is a precision 7675 pushing 12-15 lbs of boost on pump gas. Heads are advanced induction 317 226CC cnc ported and polished, stock truck intake, FUEL rails, 80 lb injectors, etc.... blah blah blah blah. It wont be hard to make 650
mavdog32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:37 PM   #27
66-PMD-GMC
The 60-66 GMC/Pontiac guy....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavdog32 View Post
5.3 is a 325, its bored .020 over and running forged internals. Turbo is a precision 7675 pushing 12-15 lbs of boost on pump gas. Heads are advanced induction 317 226CC cnc ported and polished, stock truck intake, FUEL rails, 80 lb injectors, etc.... blah blah blah blah. It wont be hard to make 650
I would be interested in seeing a dyno read out on that.
Not saying you don't have what you say you have but knowing where and how it makes that type of power and torque ratings and still be streetable, yes I would find that very interesting information.
I don't do Chevy but I still have a curiosity for what others are doing with different motors.

Building Genuine Pontiac Firepowered cars and trucks for several decades.

Why Pontiac?? That's just me daring to be different.

Projects..

63 C10 Short Wheel Base fleetside (The Pro-Street) currently under reconstruction.
440CID 2X4 Pontiac
66-PMD-GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:51 PM   #28
mavdog32

Will do, Im gonna start a build thread here eventually and Ill keep everything posted in there. The tuning will take a bunch of runs as I am not running the stock ECM and they will have to make a couple maps for me.

Until then, whats up with the bags. Will they handle the higher HP engines reliably? I know the lack of weight in the rear end will be an issue, but I am talking outside of that
Old 04-16-2012, 02:46 PM   #29
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-PMD-GMC View Post
I see that there will definitely be clearance issues using that sway bar.
I am at a loss of why the emphasis on the longer pan-hard bar.
Once the springs are out of the way I will have a good 1 3/4" - 2" minimum clearance between the sidewalls and anything else that moves independently of the axle and tires.
Also, I think i might reiterate that I am not building this to go up and down like a lowrider. Once the ride height is set, thats it.
I drove a 10 wheel dump truck with airbags.... inflated was the ride height on that truck and no air to dump.
I was thinking kind of on the same line with the wifes 63, setting the pressure to get the correct ride height and keep it there. Always. There should be no lateral movement except normal putting around especially if I make sure the pan-hard bar is parallel to the diff. at ride height.
Is my thinking wrong? As I said, I know nothing about air-ride systems...
You're correct in your thinking. But.... you're trying to stuff a bunch of tire under the bed & KNOW clearance is going to be tight. If clearances are tight, you need to make sure you're minimizing side to side shift that occurs during normal susspension travel (2" extension, 2" compression = 4" travel).

The longer the bar is, the less side shift for the same amount of suspension travel vs what a short Panhard bar might allow.

The schrader system will work fine if done correctly. Ensuring the fittings are sealed properly & the DOT airline is cut square/90° @ the ends w/a razor or suitable tool (no wire cutters here). I had my 68 Beater set up w/schraders in back for almost 2yrs of daily driving. The only issues I had were bending the needle valve when trying to add air early in the am (in the dark) if I was going to pull my trailer around.

As far as 'handling horsepower'? The suspension is doing the work, the spring just supports the weight. An air bag is an air-SPRING so it's similar to a coil w/the benefit of easier tuning.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:06 PM   #30
66-PMD-GMC

I measured the pan-hard bar, it's 24" and I cant see how it could be much longer.

Projects..

63 C10 Short Wheel Base fleetside (The Pro-Street) currently under reconstruction.
440CID 2X4 Pontiac
Old 04-16-2012, 08:59 PM   #31
Pro Performance

Slam Specialties have a 5" diameter bag that has minimal ballooning when inflated. Maybe measure the coil diameter, and then go from there to see what bags are smaller and would work. Typically, the smaller diameter bags take more pressure to lift. I would also suggest carrying a small 150 PSI portable compressor in the truck, just in case you need to adjust. Hopefully something never goes wrong, but if it did, the portable compressor would come in handy.... also carry a push to connect union so if you have to cut and remove a punctured line for some reason.
Pro Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:14 PM   #32
66-PMD-GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street3285 View Post
Slam Specialties have a 5" diameter bag that has minimal ballooning when inflated. Maybe measure the coil diameter, and then go from there to see what bags are smaller and would work. Typically, the smaller diameter bags take more pressure to lift. I would also suggest carrying a small 150 PSI portable compressor in the truck, just in case you need to adjust. Hopefully something never goes wrong, but if it did, the portable compressor would come in handy.... also carry a push to connect union so if you have to cut and remove a punctured line for some reason.
My problem is, I go somewhere and the shop/store wants to sell me some system that drops the truck to it's frame when it shuts off and they don't listen when I say I am not looking for adjustable switched system that goes up and down like a lowrider.
I don't need all that or want front bags etc...
It would be fine if the truck dropped to its bump stops when it shuts off and then went back up to ride height when started. Thats what my old 10 wheeler did.
Yeah, the biggest problem is they aren't listening.
I will have my ride height tomorrow if I have time to pull the springs, then I will know what bag height I will need.

Projects..

440CID 2X4 Pontiac
Old 04-16-2012, 09:40 PM   #33
SCOTI

Quote:
I measured the pan-hard bar, it's 24" and I cant see how it could be much longer.
Driver side frame mount to pass side truck arm = 34-36"....
http://www.porterbuiltfabrication.co...e-Trac-Bar-149
http://www.nolimitparts.com/prodinfo...3GC%2DRR%2D500
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Last edited by SCOTI; 04-16-2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:08 AM   #34
66-PMD-GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
I appreciate the links.
I see no problem with what I have now.
Once have a ride height that I and my wife can agree on, I will make the existing pan-hard bar adjustable and while doing that, parallel with the differential.
The pan-hard bar, along with the sway bar I have chosen will keep lateral movement to a minimum.
My main issue is choosing the correct bags and coming up with a system that will work for what I am doing, providing the correct ride height and keeping vertical movement to a minimum.
5 inch diameter bags is the maximum I can go with so I think all I need at this point all I need is height.

Projects..

440CID 2X4 Pontiac
Old 04-17-2012, 10:13 AM   #35
Pro Performance

Here is a link to the actual spec sheet on that Slam Specialties SS5 bag I mentioned.

http://www.slamspecialties.com/air_springs/SS-5.pdf
Old 04-17-2012, 11:06 AM   #36
66-PMD-GMC

Quote:
Here is a link to the actual spec sheet on that Slam Specialties SS5 bag I mentioned.

http://www.slamspecialties.com/air_springs/SS-5.pdf
Cool Link,
Where can I find load rating specifications on that bag? Firestone?

Projects..

440CID 2X4 Pontiac
Old 04-17-2012, 11:23 AM   #37
66-PMD-GMC

OK so now that I have done some research and with the advise from members on this site, I think I would like to set up this system in a similar way that some of the big trucks I have driven are set up.
I am guessing I will need a small compressor off a vehicle with "air ride" OR make something up myself, a pressure regulator to actuate at a given low pressure and to shut off at a given pressure.
Anyone know of a shop of adults near my area that speak English, don't constantly end a sentence with "know what I'm saying?" that can show me the basic parts I will need??
(Just so the moderators know, I speak fluent Spanish and I am not being racist, kids today, anyone 30 or younger, speak in acronyms and I don't understand most kids.)

Projects..

440CID 2X4 Pontiac
Old 04-17-2012, 01:11 PM   #38
SCOTI

Quote:
OK so now that I have done some research and with the advise from members on this site, I think I would like to set up this system in a similar way that some of the big trucks I have driven are set up.
I am guessing I will need a small compressor off a vehicle with "air ride" OR make something up myself, a pressure regulator to actuate at a given low pressure and to shut off at a given pressure.
Anyone know of a shop of adults near my area that speak English, don't constantly end a sentence with "know what I'm saying?" that can show me the basic parts I will need??
(Just so the moderators know, I speak fluent Spanish and I am not being racist, kids today, anyone 30 or younger, speak in acronyms and I don't understand most kids.)
How far are you from Porterbuilt?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 04-17-2012, 03:40 PM   #39
66-PMD-GMC

Quote:
How far are you from Porterbuilt?
where is porterbuilt?
I am in far East Mesa AZ about 45-50 minutes from down town Phoenix.

Projects..

440CID 2X4 Pontiac
Old 04-17-2012, 03:52 PM   #40
Cole Trickle
C-10 Club Member

Quote:
Isn't a 5.3 a 305?
I don't really speak liters.. <--- read old dude
If it is a 305, how in the world are you getting a streetable 675hp average/2.2 hp per sq/inch from a sbc ???
5.3 is a 327

400-450 to the wheels is pretty easy and reliable with boost on the newer generation FI motors.

675 is pretty close to the ragged edge unless were talking about forged internals/head studs,etc.
Cole Trickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:53 PM   #41
mavdog32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole Trickle View Post
5.3 is a 327

400-450 to the wheels is pretty easy and reliable with boost on the newer generation FI motors.

675 is pretty close to the ragged edge unless were talking about forged internals/head studs,etc.

Its a 325, he and I were talking through PM's so as not to clutter the thread! I am running all forged internals and studs instead of bolts. I showed him this article where they made almost 650 with a 5.3 running low boost and stock internals, and a carb.
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...d/viewall.html

Last edited by mavdog32; 04-17-2012 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Wrong displacement
Old 04-17-2012, 04:58 PM   #42
Pro Performance

Quote:
where is porterbuilt?
I am in far East Mesa AZ about 45-50 minutes from down town Phoenix.
Porterbuilt is in Apache Junction.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:04 PM   #43
66-PMD-GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavdog32 View Post
Its a 327, he and I were talking through PM's so as not to clutter the thread! I am running all forged internals and studs instead of bolts. I showed him this article where they made almost 650 with a 5.3 running low boost and stock internals, and a carb.
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...d/viewall.html
Yes I did some looking on the internet and found some different builds using the late model Chevy LS stuff. Pretty impressive possibilities. Nothing like the old 1st gen small block stuff at all.
As nice as all that might be I won't be turned to the bowtie side just yet...
I am a die hard BOP guy and I will die driving a Pontiac powered vehicle

Projects..

440CID 2X4 Pontiac
Old 04-17-2012, 05:35 PM   #44
66-PMD-GMC

Quote:
Porterbuilt is in Apache Junction.
Yes, I found them.
Thanks.
They are 2 miles from me in the desert.

Projects..

440CID 2X4 Pontiac
Old 04-18-2012, 05:08 PM   #45
66-PMD-GMC

OK, went for a visit to Porterbuilt. The two guys I talked with, Dave and sorry, can't remember the name of the other guy, well, very accomidating guys over there.
There stuff is well thought out and they have bolt on simple goodies to the agressive crazy stuff too.
I am trying to get a head start on my wifes truck. Really not getting into it until I am done with current projects in about 5-6 weeks.
If I got everything that caught my eye I would end up spending 5-6K on their stuff.
I realized after coming home that all I wanted to do in the first place was build a go-fun truck for my wife and like usual, I am going overboard.
I think what I need is a 5" air spring that extends to 8 inches, more or less.
The knowledgable guys at Porterbuilt had me relocating shocks, long pan-hard bars, moving this and that. All good stuff but maybe on a truck I am building for me. The wife is just not going to get into it like that.
So for now, still planning on the 63 Chebby.. learned lots so far on the air springs!

Projects..

440CID 2X4 Pontiac
Old 04-20-2012, 08:58 AM   #46
66-PMD-GMC

Gave up on the monster tires in the rear and I am going to talk my wife into a different tire/wheel combination.
After doing the research I think I am going to go with "air springs" both front and rear.
I want to drop the suspension but it won't be anything too dramatic. Just enough to get that 70's street rod look but with the body tucked neatly around the tires.
Basically, I want the suspension to stay in one place, much like my wifes Lincoln Navigator, so I am looking into how to do that, what controllers I need if any and how to plumb it etc...
Now that I know how to set that ride height and choose the bags, thanks to the guys at Porterbuilt, I can move on to the next step of completing the system.
Of course, any suggestions or directions are appreciated.

Projects..

440CID 2X4 Pontiac
Old 04-20-2012, 01:18 PM   #47
SCOTI

Quote:
Gave up on the monster tires in the rear and I am going to talk my wife into a different tire/wheel combination.After doing the research I think I am going to go with "air springs" both front and rear.
I want to drop the suspension but it won't be anything too dramatic. Just enough to get that 70's street rod look but with the body tucked neatly around the tires.
Basically, I want the suspension to stay in one place, much like my wifes Lincoln Navigator, so I am looking into how to do that, what controllers I need if any and how to plumb it etc...
Now that I know how to set that ride height and choose the bags, thanks to the guys at Porterbuilt, I can move on to the next step of completing the system.
Of course, any suggestions or directions are appreciated.
Are you planning for some just a little smaller or something @ the complete opposite end of the spectrum?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 04-21-2012, 09:45 AM   #48
66-PMD-GMC

Quote:
Are you planning for some just a little smaller or something @ the complete opposite end of the spectrum?
Found a set of US indy slotted mags, 6 lug 15X12 rear which I never knew they made and a set of 15X8 fronts.
I am going for the 70's street "peanut pusher" look. (thats what we called the hot rod look back then with a rake, higher in the back front bumper heading toward the ground)
I am not going to have a real drastic angle on this truck front to rear and I want to tuck the truck down around the tires.
I am thinking 14" wide in the rear and 8" in the front.
I am so tempted to go nuts on this and I really need to keep it simple. Well as simple as I can except for the suspension. Oh and the motor and trans will be a little over the top but not much. oh and I am converting the wiring system so I can use a 120 amp charging system. And I also need to add A/C...
Awwww forget the keep it simple thing...

Projects..

440CID 2X4 Pontiac
Old 04-21-2012, 08:01 PM   #49
66-PMD-GMC

This is the ride height "look" I am going for with the fat and sort of skinny look using the "old school" slotted wheels.
The back tires could be N50 15's. If you know what those are... you may be as old as I am... LOL
Attached Images

Projects..

440CID 2X4 Pontiac
Old 04-21-2012, 08:52 PM   #50
SCOTI

Quote:
This is the ride height "look" I am going for with the fat and sort of skinny look using the "old school" slotted wheels.
The back tires could be N50 15's. If you know what those are... you may be as old as I am... LOL
My buddy used to run ProTrac N50-15's on his 69 back in our day .
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG