The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-14-2012, 07:30 PM   #26
DetroitDan

Re: Dual tires of a C&C will NOT fit under a regular bed!!!

sorry, havent been on for awhile. V30 is right, those are the only options I'm aware of. My truck came with a bed that had been tubbed, looked like a very simple job, they just cut out the inners and added 4 inches to it. I tried to cut them out when I swapped the bed, but they were welded to every bedrail and I got frustrated and gave up. That said, if I needed to I could easily do the same thing to my new bed. I didn't, because I knew I was going to lift it and there was no way it would come anywhere near the tires. It has a big springpack in the rear, and even after upsizing from 215/85s to 235/85s, and before installing the lift, the truck was driveable. Just wouldn't want to work it hard. I hauled 2000lbs of wood pellets in the back and had about 3/4" of clearance, it rubbed a little when I made turns and the body swayed at all. You could conceivably just clearance it enough to give the tire room, but I'd think tubbing the whole inner well would look more professional. Like I said, cut out the well, move it inboard 3 or 4 inches and bend up a strip of sheetmetal to put toward the outside. Wish I had pics but I junked that bed years ago.
I now have four inch blocks in the rear and it never even gets close to the tires.

Hey Mopar346, I didn't catch it anywhere, but do you have a crewcab? Because if you don't, you've got some more measuring to do. Crewcab pickups and crewcab cab & chassis' have the same frame lengths and configuration, but regular cab pickups and regular cab cab & chassis' are drastically different. A regular cab C&C is about four inches longer than a regular cab pickup, so when you set the bed on you'll find you have a big ugly 4 inch gap between the cab and bed. Have to then shorten the frame or lengthen the bed.
Attached Images

Old 09-14-2012, 07:38 PM   #27
DetroitDan

wow that's an ugly picture. That ugly step & tow bumper is gone, now has a chrome Blazer/Suburban style non step bumper, that homemade farmer hitch is gone replaced with a real receiver hitch, and I have a real one ton tailgate with silver overlay and 5 factory one ton marker lights. Trying to finish painting it now, if I get it done I'll throw some pics up.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:38 PM   #28
mopar346

Thank you Dan, great looking truck. It is a regular cab I pulled my inner fenders, removed my inner tire and set the bed on. It is a 161 WB so I have a 29.25 inch gap between the bed and the frame. It fitted it in order to widen the inner fender and will be extended the bed. Here were it was when I left the house Monday. And one photo shopped.

Here is the link to the fitting.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=541824
Attached Images

mopar346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:51 PM   #29
JAA

Woah, that thing is going to look crazy if you extend the bed like that.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:53 PM   #30
mopar346

Freaky aint it!
Old 09-14-2012, 10:13 PM   #31
manimal

I have thought about building a square "Longhorn" out of my C & C std cab.
1999 Suburban K2500, 7.4, 4L80e
1980 Camaro..son's car...PROJECT
manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:39 AM   #32
DetroitDan

Whoa that's crazy long! Longer than a regular cab C&C. Must be an 84CA or something. What's it measure from the cab corner to the rear hub? I think it would be a good candidate for an extended cab conversion. There is a truck just like that near me, maybe I can get a pic sometime
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-15-2012, 12:48 PM   #33
mopar346

I'm not sure of that measurement. It is 160.5 WB I think and it had almost 11 ft of frame from the cab to the tip, I had to cut 3.5 inches off to set the bed on it properly.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:58 PM   #34
oldwagon

Like the ride v30!!!!!!!!!!!!
oldwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:50 PM   #35
mopar346

Yesterday I drilled the rest of the bed bolt, mounted the rear bumper, wired the rear lights and put the tailgate on. I got a little more done today, pushed the wheel well in 3 inches. First thing I did was mount the inside tires for measurements.
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2012, 08:54 PM   #36
mopar346

I contemplated a number of ways to do move it and in the end I decided to just cut it back to where I wanted it and then trim the flange back to where only about 1/2 inch of the bed was still attached and I slipped it under the ridge. I put the wheel well back in and fitted it, screwed the flange down and tacked it in place. Now I need to get another set of wells to splice to the bed side. And of course I have to do the other side.
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2012, 09:02 PM   #37
mopar346

Here is the where it is now.
Attached Images

Old 09-24-2012, 12:36 PM   #38
manimal

lookin good!
1999 Suburban K2500, 7.4, 4L80e
1980 Camaro..son's car...PROJECT
manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:22 PM   #39
mopar346

And the other side. Man I need an extra bed, things are moving along to my liken so far.
Attached Images

Old 09-28-2012, 06:28 PM   #40
DetroitDan

thats exactly what I meant. My old bed looked just like that, done the same way. Pretty sure they didnt use an extra set of wheel houses to make that strip, they just bent up a long piece of sheetmetal and tacked it in. Looking good!
Old 09-28-2012, 07:30 PM   #41
mopar346

I could easily bend a piece of sheet metal to make up the gap but I wont more of a clean factory look. My intention are for you to look at it and know something is wrong but cant put your finger on it.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:14 PM   #42
BigBlocksRule

With as little as you're adding, it's going to hide it much better than big honkin' tubs. Looks good!
I'm going to have to do the same thing to an '88 - '98 bed but don't have the luxury of removable tubs. I'll figure it out somehow, you've already started the wheels turning, thanks!
BigBlocksRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:38 PM   #43
mopar346

Yea with the bolt in wells it is pretty much plug and play. I first ran across this thought in the 80s when a friend of mine had a 454 drag square, he had narrowed the frame, 4 linked and doubled the wells. Worked very well to tuck fat boys under. He had one other neat trick seldom seen, he had 3 4 inch PVC tubes under the bed with inlets on the top in the bed and an outlet on the bottom. He would fill them half way up with water and on a launch the water would shift back, plant like a big dawg and tote the tires. After the hole shot the water would settle back ot the front of the tubes (due to the rake of the truck) and become high speed stabilizing weight. Awesome idea and took a lot of people thicking a truck wouldn't hook.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:05 PM   #44
DetroitDan

I remembered the other reason I didn't want to move my wheel wells inward; I use the truck to haul pallets of wood pellets in the winter, and occasionally 4x8 plywood, etc. pallets are 4x5, and standard bed width between the wheel wells is 4 feet. So if I'd narrowed that 4 feet, I couldn't fit pallets in it anymore. Not much sense having a dually that I couldn't carry anything in.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-28-2012, 09:18 PM   #45
mopar346

I could see that, mine is a designed hauler so the bed is secondary. I was intending to do a goose neck but I heard the other day that next year it will require a CDL to pull a goose neck. This truck can handle bumper pull with no issue so I can stay that way if needed.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:51 PM   #46
mopar346

Been laying low not doing much of anything on anything for a few months. Picked up the donor bed today for $100 it has a little damage but nothing that will effect the project. I fly out Monday morning so nothing for a few weeks but hopefully I can get the bed extended next time I'm home. Lots of thinking and measuring before I break out a blade. I will try to document what I end up doing for others.
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2013, 11:24 PM   #47
meatwagon83

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8axle55 View Post
Do you need the whole bed floor between the tubs? Couldn`t you just widen the tubs a few inches, I think that`s what most guys do.
this, its not hard at all!!

edit: so maybe i didnt read the whole thread before i opened my yap, carry on.
meatwagon83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:28 PM   #48
meatwagon83

toolbox or a welder would fill that gap nicely btw
meatwagon83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:43 PM   #49
mopar346

Got a little more done over the week end. Removed the wheelwells out of the donor bed and cut them just before they started to curve down, just beyond the third from outside divit if you look at the ends of them. I then removed the wells that I had moved in, mounted the cut wells and then reinstalled the originals, so essentially the donor wells overlay the original wells. At this point I ran out of day time and went in the house.

The next move is to cut the original well so I can weld them up. Not sure whether I am gonna do a butt joint or a lap with the original being on top and the donors being flanged under. I wanted to get these in place to better hold the bed sides in the right position once I remove the front for the extension. I will probably still weld a bar from bed rail to bed rail to hold the front in correct alignment.

I think you can see the results in the pictures the originals are creme colors and the donors are brown.
Attached Images

Old 01-30-2013, 10:17 AM   #50
mopar346

In order to provide a better search for the bed extension I have strted another thread for that process and posted this link for the research and tubbing process. Here is the link to the bed extension.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post5855578