The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-05-2012, 12:17 PM   #26
Coley

Smile Re: Oh Man! I just can't believe what just happened!

Wow, nice truck and I'm sorry to see that happen to it.
Don't mean to be negative about the culprit but a 3 year old in the back of the truck is no reason for bad or unattentive driving...never has been...nothing new here in having kids or one kid in the car or truck while driving.
She had very little to worry about in that truck as far as safety is concerned.
Its best the driver has learned (hopefully) to pay attention after a low speed accident than a high speed 'lane changer'.
Now, that said...you did handle it with good composure, hats off to you and make sure you get that damage fixed up to your satisfaction.
Good luck with it.
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:08 PM   #27
Ole Greenie

Re: Oh Man! I just can't believe what just happened!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970 Bowtie View Post
Thats a lot of damage for a Library parking lot.Glad to hear that know one was hurt and the insurance company is going stand behind you to do their part and repair your truck.Thank You for your service to our Country.......Go Dawgs.

I was surprized too! Anyway, I just got word from the adjuster that they appraised the value of my truck before the accident at $20K so the $6000 repair bill is chump change.

They started on it today. funny thing though, it took almost 3 weeks to get the go ahead because there is no computer program for approximating the labor costs on our trucks. Bottom line?

If any of you all ever get hit, make sure you get a good adjuster who actually understands and appreciates the classics. Alternatively, make sure you have an attorney.

Yea, there is Hagerty's and all but most of those companies make you drive less than XXX miles per year. This is BS so I just make sure that USAA (my insurance Co.) understands the quality of my truck. I don't mind the extra.

Border Bash it going on today at the river in downtown!

Go Dawgs! Beat those Chickens! Sic Em!!!!
My Mistress
70 CST Short/Step
LS 5.3/4L65E
New motor install Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=667773
Ole Greenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:21 PM   #28
Ole Greenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy72pu View Post
Wow man, that hurts. Every time I drive one of my "old" trucks I think about things like this. But, why have them if you ain't gonna drive them? You were a true Southern Gentleman. Two thumbs up and keep us posted on the repairs.
Yep, I drive it every chance I get! It isn't a garage or trailer queen by all means.

Don't know if you get up to Augusta much but these folks here are just "Off-the-Chain" as far as driving goes. Simply amazing.

I could teel immediately after she got out of her Tahoe...albeit on the phone...she was shaking and tears coming from her eyes. Police came, wrote it all up and faulted her for improper backing. Through it all, I found myself continually reassuring her. Heck she even hugged me before she left!
My Mistress
70 CST Short/Step
LS 5.3/4L65E
Old 10-05-2012, 06:34 PM   #29
trac209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
Wow, nice truck and I'm sorry to see that happen to it.
Don't mean to be negative about the culprit but a 3 year old in the back of the truck is no reason for bad or unattentive driving...never has been...nothing new here in having kids or one kid in the car or truck while driving.
She had very little to worry about in that truck as far as safety is concerned.
Its best the driver has learned (hopefully) to pay attention after a low speed accident than a high speed 'lane changer'.
Now, that said...you did handle it with good composure, hats off to you and make sure you get that damage fixed up to your satisfaction.
Good luck with it.
Coley
I agree with that and I know If my truck was hit like that after all that work into it I would not have been so nice to somebody driving so irresponsibly in a parking lot where people and children could be walking and just as easily run into or over. I hope she learns her lesson this time and learns to pay attention to her surroundings in the future. Beautiful truck you have btw sry to see it damaged like that.
Posted via Mobile Device
trac209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:18 PM   #30
Dunenutt
Newbee

I would have to sit down on a curb, count to eleventy billion. Deep breaths until I was light headed. I'm still not sure that I could compose myself enough to carry on a conversation with the driver.

I know it's just metal and paint, but I would shed tears. I'm getting watery eyed right now, and I don't even know you!
Dunenutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:22 PM   #31
ole dollor

glad everyone is o k , hope you get the truck fixed back as good as it was, did you remember to drop the books off..
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:26 PM   #32
gdavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Greenie View Post
So I was strolling through the parking lot of the local library on my way to the drive-thru book drop box. You see, the wife had asked me to PLEASE take these books back because if they don't get dropped off today, we would incur a late fee!

Not wishing to deter such a simple request, and thinking this would be a perfect time to drive my "mistress" with clear, nice weather and all, I cranked her up and headed out on my latest mission.

Well, I pull into the parking lot, realizing that this long parking lot was half empty, save for those parked nearest the entrance. I made my way through the parking lot enroute to the drop box when out of the corner of my eye I see a big black SUV backing a bit too quickly out of their parking space to stop!

"Oh SH**" spewed from my mouth just as the new Tahoe's reese hitch slammed into the front right corner of Ole Greenie puncturing the radiator and making wrinkles of the grill, radiator support, and right fender. The fender impacted the door which impacted the cab behind the door.

I have NEVER displayed SO MUCH GRACE and understanding toward the driver of the Tahoe. Realizing that she had a 3 year old girl in the back seat, I began to pear inside the back rear window of her truck to see if she was OK (I'm a healthcare professional). It was then I realized that I could not see inside the Tahoe!

Anyway, things are working out due in large part to her insurance company (State Farm) who is exemplary. They have agreed to repair Ole Greenie so I should have her back in a few more weeks.

Here are a few pics:

you handler that a o k as I can see. she will go on thinking that you are a nice person. The truck can be fixed people can't. Thank you for being nice. it will pay you back in some way.
gdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:09 PM   #33
Southern Shaker
Account Suspended

Im sorry to hear about that man im glad to hear everyone is alright sad to see such a nice rig with damage like that im sorry !
Southern Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:13 PM   #34
jocko

Man I feel for ya. I bought a 2001 Chevy Z71 (new when I bought it). Hit a mail box the next day and took the entire bedside out. It was horrible. Hope it get sall fixed quickly and is done well.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:27 PM   #35
weever82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunenutt View Post
I know it's just metal and paint, but I would shed tears. I'm getting watery eyed right now, and I don't even know you!
Thats the best quote I've heard in a while. It's funny cause it's true! haha.

Weev-

Life's tough...... It's even tougher when your stupid - John Wayne
weever82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:37 PM   #36
Boog
laying low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Greenie View Post
Yep, I drive it every chance I get! It isn't a garage or trailer queen by all means.

Don't know if you get up to Augusta much but these folks here are just "Off-the-Chain" as far as driving goes. Simply amazing.

I could teel immediately after she got out of her Tahoe...albeit on the phone...she was shaking and tears coming from her eyes. Police came, wrote it all up and faulted her for improper backing. Through it all, I found myself continually reassuring her. Heck she even hugged me before she left!
John I have to think she will be a better driver after this incident. Good thing it was a slow speed accident and no personal injuries. No one wants to have their vehicle damaged whether it's a $20,000 show piece or a $2500 beater. You sir handled it very well and are a true gentleman.
Sounds like you are being taken care of better than many with insurance claims and older vehicles.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:20 PM   #37
Ole Greenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
John I have to think she will be a better driver after this incident. Good thing it was a slow speed accident and no personal injuries. No one wants to have their vehicle damaged whether it's a $20,000 show piece or a $2500 beater. You sir handled it very well and are a true gentleman.
Sounds like you are being taken care of better than many with insurance claims and older vehicles.
Thanks for your kind words, Sir. Still pretty frustrating although State Farm is taking care of it all. I got all these new parts just waiting to go in and I can't take my girls to go to the local Sonic to sit on the tailgate while eating an ice cream treat! I'll get it back her in a couple weeks and then it will all be over. Thanks again.
My Mistress
70 CST Short/Step
LS 5.3/4L65E