The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-14-2012, 01:04 AM   #1
Billett

Some new audio ideas

So it's finally getting to me that I don't have a radio. I love the sound of my exhaust as much if not more than the next guy, but with a 4 speed on the highways doing 60 mph for an hour straight it gets a bit monotonous. I used to drive my s10 with a set of pioneer components, 2 12" JL subs, and a double DIN touchscreen radio I could watch DVDs on. Right now, I have an AM/FM radio that I assume has a bad connection between it and the antenna since the signal is terrible, a broken dash speaker, and two computer speakers that the PO screwed under the dash with wood screws. Needless to say it was a bit of an adjustment.

The problem:
I want to keep my gas tank in my cab. I like the way the cap looks sticking out of the side, I like how much fuel it holds, and even if I had the money and time right now, I'm not sure I'd move it anyway. I don't want anything to compete with, but I want to be able to hear my music loudly and more importantly CLEARLY.

The plan:
I measured under my seat and there appears to be about 7" between the floor and bottom of the seat, and roughly 12" front to back. Right now I'm trying to decide between some shallow mount subs or a set of fullsize 6 to 6.5" subs. I'm also doing a quick sketch right now to see if I can tilt them and fit 8s under there. Right now I'm leaning towards the 8" subs and putting a couple of regular speakers under there as well.

I did consider doing a bass tube subwoofer like this in that void behind the passenger side of the seat.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...ka-BT6014.html

They also come in 8" sizes, but I'm not convinced it would fit. I decided against this though since it would put all of the bass in my passengers ear, and while I don't roll down the road so loud that you can hear me over your TV, (there was a time...), I do enjoy a bit of bump in my music. For anyone else interested though. This tube would fit perfect in that space, but you would still need an amp for it though. Mounting it downward firing might make it a bit more balanced between driver and passenger side, but I'd rather not chance it.

I don't want speakers in my doors! Just needed to point that out haha. Nothing against those that do, but I think they look a bit odd in these trucks. I'm sure they sound fine, but I just don't want them.

As I said earlier I'm thinking of doing some components under the seat, but I still want some sound coming from up front, or at least not under my butt haha. If I can find a way to move my dimmer switch over a bit I'll get some kick panel speakers, but I don't want to make the dimmer a toggle switch on the dash so if I can't move it no kick panels.

I'm going to swap out the stock 4x10 dash speaker with a set of 4" speakers. I like the brothers plate and kit, but I want to pick my own speakers and I don't think that making a mounting plate will be all that tough.

My last thought was that there is an awful lot of wasted space right at the very top of the dash. The dash pad sticks up and right behind it the dash just drops a few inches and it's wasted space save for me putting things there that don't belong like trash or truck parts I haven't installed yet. Did a bit of measuring and I'm pretty sure I could make a fiberglass box for both sides and fit a pair of 3.5 or 4" speakers there.

Right now it's about 1 AM here and I have about 20 tabs open going through all my options so if this post doesn't make a whole lot of sense I'll revisit it again tomorrow. Just thought this might give you guys some different ideas and a view as to where this is going.
2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L
2024 Toyota Sienna
Billett is offline   Reply With Quote