The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-06-2012, 09:33 PM   #26
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Re: split rims

I'm gonna agree with getting rid of them.If they are so good and actually safe,wouldn't we still be using them on new trucks?
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:45 PM   #27
factorystock

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
If they are so good and actually safe,wouldn't we still be using them on new trucks?
They still do on large trucks in certain vocations. Even when tubeless tires and one piece wheels came out on large trucks in 1956, there was still a market for multi piece wheels and still sold as new equipment on certain large trucks even 30 years after 1956. Why? Certain vocations in extreme operating conditions need heavy duty tires with tubes. When a heavily loaded vehicle with tubeless tires hits a sharp rock or curb, there is a slight moment in time when the bead is broken and air escapes, causing a loss in air pressure. Hitting large rocks or curbs all day long, like in off road construction work, your tires will always be low on air. Tubes do not loose air in these conditions. As for being dangerous, they were designed by engineers smarter than us. IF parts are not damaged or mismatched and properly mounted by trained personnel, there would not be any problems. If parts are damaged, or mismatched and not mounted by properly trained personnel, of course there will be problems.There is a difference between split rim wheels and lock ring wheels. Split rims, not a good design, come together at the center( not used on pickups) they were used on C 50 and C 60 series trucks, and the more common lock ring type (used on pickups).
factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:40 PM   #28
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by factorystock View Post
There is a difference between split rim wheels and lock ring wheels. Split rims, not a good design, come together at the center( not used on pickups) they were used on C 50 and C 60 series trucks, and the more common lock ring type (used on pickups).
Thanks for the clarification. Seems like I knew that years ago but lost it from my gray matter.

So what some of our trucks used to have were in fact lock ring wheels, but are commonly (and incorrectly) referred to as split rims.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:46 PM   #29
vectorit
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
So what some of our trucks used to have were in fact lock ring wheels, but are commonly (and incorrectly) referred to as split rims.
Yes
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:23 AM   #30
haminator

I'll take all the "2" peice wheels I can get. I get 175 per ton for them, easy money. I don't beleive 16.5's ever came in a 2 peice design but I beleive that was covered. The ol "splits" are heavy causing your allready overworked drum brakes more distress. They are, by now generally bent and rusty and shouldn't used...except for maybe a grinder stand or something. I think the next time I get some with tires still mounted on them I'll release the air right away. The thought of one letting go just out of the blue is not a pleasant thought.
haminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:10 AM   #31
skorpioskorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post

Also, I think splits were 16" and the all steel wheels were 16.5"ers. Never have seen 16" split rims (doesn't mean they don't exist). There are tires available for 16.5" non-split rims if you're concerned about tire selection.
Nah, the local Gas company used to have piles of 16.5 splits, they put 8 ply and 12 ply rated bias ply tires on the back of their Suburbans so they could load them up with meters and not sway all over the road. They used splits because it's a ***** to try and pull a heavy sidewall tire over a fixed rim, especially in the winter. They did have their purposes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHGuyettejr View Post
Last I checked they where illegal in the us for use on commercial vehicles anyway. I have 16.5 inch steel wheels on my truck and there are plenty of tire options for them. Just my 2 cents.
Look on heavy equipment trailers, they're everywhere still, see above. also common on, of all things, school buses, particularly ones with Dayton hubs, you when you see those wheels that are basically just latched onto the brake drum, no center. also very common on heavy equipment, mostly it's for the same reason, heavy sidewall ratings that make pulling the tire over a lip next to impossible.

That said the most dangerous job at the Caterpillar factory was the guy who mounted tires.
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:02 PM   #32
MusicMan70

Lockring 16" Steelies from my 73; original to the truck and on the Spid...I have these stored and have some 16.5's on now. Some ford 16x7 steelies are on standby.
Attached Images

Old 11-18-2012, 05:32 PM   #33
factorystock

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post

Split rims are one of those relics from the past that really don't have any value to modern drivers. Kind of like a hand crank coming out below the grill.
No hand crank, but Chevy still used these wheels on large trucks as late as 1985 (1986 sales brochure photo shown). Must be a good reason why the trucking industry still accepted the disadvantages and advantages of these type of rims. However, I do believe they are an overkill on a pickup not used in extreme commericial work.
Attached Images

factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:59 PM   #34
KrazyRay

I hear about the dangers of the lock ring rims when inflating. Are they unsafe to dismount as well? I have some good tires mounted on the lock ring rims that I want to keep and then haul the lock rings for scrap metal.
Thanks,
Ray
KrazyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:21 PM   #35
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyRay View Post
Are they unsafe to dismount as well?
YES!! Take 'em to a qualified truck tire shop.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is online now   Reply With Quote