The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-17-2012, 04:31 PM   #1
skorpioskorpio

Re: Definitions of words I only see in this site

I've actually been surprised how little specific lingo speak there is on this board. I also restore old bikes and on the AdvRider Forum they have some really strange ones, like "205" which means someone reposted something that has been posted before, apparently some picture from a post, post number 205, of some topic long ago, and nobody seems to even remember what post, was frequently reposted by new users, so that repeat picture posts became referred to as "205".

The other one that stumped me for the longest time was ATGATT which means "All The Gear All The Time" referring to people that ride wearing, or not wearing, head to toe safety gear (helmet, boots, some sort of leather or ballistic suit, etc..).

Anyway, "repop" is likely a term that came out of the Midwest as the word "pop" is used all the time for all kinds of things there. Pop can be a carbonated beverage (a can of pop), or it can be used to describe going somewhere, "Honey, I'm gonna pop over and see what Bob's up to", It can be used to describe the production of an item, "They are just popping those things out over there". Hmm, maybe it has something to do with corn growing regions.

NOS and OEM are common industry terms, NOS meaning a part a part that has discontinued production but is an unused surviving item, this is not the same as a part for an old vehicle that is still being produced. The seemingly overly complicated "Original Equipment Manufacture" has to do with a lot of parts being produced for the manufacturer by a supplier but not necessarily by the manufacturer, like Dana, Eaton, Hurst making original parts for GM cars to GM specifications but these parts were not produced by GM itself.

IMHO has been used in technical circles (as in computer people) for decades, at least 30 years, it was actually abbreviated to appear more "humble" and not really to save typing effort. Early on it was typically used mostly in calling someone out or defending yourself when the validity of facts were in question, or you were trying to state a personal opinion and not a verifiable fact. It absolutely meant "Humble" and not "Honest" for the first 20 years of it's usage.

IIRC is interesting in that it has somehow evolved into an acronym that is something completely different from where it started. At one time it was an acronym name of a software program for the implementation of Internet Relay Chat. It has no long term usage in tech circles that I am aware of.
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:39 PM   #2
slomotion
Old Duffer

Anyone that has been in the military, or associated with the government has been using acronyms since time began.
I saw something not too long ago where a mother was showing her daughter some flash cards with numbers on them. Everything went fine, ...7, 8, 9, 10, but when the mom showed the 11 card (eleven) the little girl thought it was "pause". In her mind, it went, "7,8,9,10, pause,12,13".....cute, but scary.

'81 G10 Shorty Van

"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." Will Rogers

"Under promise, then over achieve."
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:03 PM   #3
LEEVON

IMHO acronyms are fine as long as they aren't used on classified ads. Sheesh, people it's not 1980 and this isn't the black and white newspaper that charges $1 per word. You can write a dang novel if you want, in fact please do! I get a kick out of the Craigslist ads that read something like "ps, pb, a/c, must see to appreciate".
Old 12-17-2012, 06:30 PM   #4
skorpioskorpio

A couple of my favorites:

Why do medical dramas and cop shows say GSW for Gun Shot Wound? Why would you replace 3 spoken syllables for an acronym with 4? Writing it, maybe, saying it, why?

When I was in Charleston, South Carolina for a contract I was looking for a rental and in more than one ad it said FROG, apparently this is a Furnished Room Over Garage, really?
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:18 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

My truck has pdb,p/s,a/c,p/w,pdl,HD suspension,and is a 4wd SRW 1t with a 6.5TD and 5spd. It's a GMC (General Motors Corporation)

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:01 AM   #6
SS Tim

Too much sugar this morning Tim???
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:59 PM   #7
special-K
Special Order

Heh heh. No,just showing how common acronyms are in vehicle descriptions. I forgot to mention the AM/FM/Cassette,CC,and RWOL tires

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 12-18-2012, 09:42 PM   #8
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Heh heh. No,just showing how common acronyms are in vehicle descriptions. I forgot to mention the AM/FM/Cassette,CC,and RWOL tires
What no CB or CD? lol
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:11 PM   #9
slomotion
Old Duffer

Or "SPID"?

'81 G10 Shorty Van

"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." Will Rogers

"Under promise, then over achieve."
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:13 AM   #10
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=209107
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:12 AM   #11
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by motornut View Post
What no CB or CD? lol
No CB and it's a '92 and no CD was offered,yet. One problem with acronyms is they can mean more than one thing. Like,it also has a SRW (sliding rear window) and it's a 3500 SRW (single rear wheel)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slomotion View Post
Or "SPID"?
Oh yeah,that too. And of course a VIN tag. It's got MFI and manual transmission,so no computer control there.Yet,it still has an ECM,I think,or some sort of 'puter. The waste gate is controlled by the TBS. It's the HD version of the 6.5TD so no EGR. The ignition runs through the OPS so if that goes bad it won't crank.
Thar ya go! Hey,mind if I start calling you L?

Tim

Old 12-19-2012, 10:42 PM   #12
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Well T its better then many things I have been called before
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote