The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-21-2013, 11:02 PM   #26
JCampbell
Account Suspended

Re: Craigslist Vent...

Quote:
Originally Posted by broey View Post
it seems like the more you sell on craigslist, the more you start to learn how specific to be, when to post your number and what emails are scams. i have sold so much now that I have a "go to" list of things I will not do that I post with every item
I NEVER list my phone number in the ad. 99% of the time, I can tell if the guy is a jackass or not via his email response.

I don't make a habit of giving my number to just anyone.
JCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:04 PM   #27
AntiGov

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.FENS View Post
Don't really know. I was the one standing there with $1,000 cash in my pocket. Maybe instead of *****ing about the guy being such a flake I should be glad I didn't get shanked and robbed.
very true.....could have been a different story....
AntiGov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:11 PM   #28
AntiGov

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCampbell View Post
I NEVER list my phone number in the ad. 99% of the time, I can tell if the guy is a jackass or not via his email response.

I don't make a habit of giving my number to just anyone.
i guess im too old school....remember back in the day when you listed something in the classifieds ? if you didnt list your number, well....

also being a contractor my number is on everything.......sometimes it does suck
Old 02-21-2013, 11:12 PM   #29
JCampbell
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.FENS View Post
Maybe instead of *****ing about the guy being such a flake I should be glad I didn't get shanked and robbed.
No joke. I went to look at an engine and trans in Barstow one night. For those who don't know, Barstow is pretty shady during the daytime, let alone at 9PM. The guy seemed a little sketchy on the phone, so I brought a buddy w/ me in case things got squirrely. Glad I did. They guy was a total tweeker and had another tweeker buddy w/ him. He had me meet him at some dark ass tow yard and the engine and trans was stuffed in the back of a 20' shipping container. Who the hell knows what could have gone down if I was alone. I mean, I can handle myself, but two tweekers on a meth rage is a tall order.

You never know what's gonna happen when you meet a stranger who knows you're carrying a roll of cash. My buddy an I both carry concealed (and we were that night, too), but still...

Last edited by JCampbell; 02-21-2013 at 11:38 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:21 PM   #30
JCampbell
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiGov View Post
jason, sounds like you only need two more half wits needing one wheel and you will have the set sold....

then again only one would show and you would be back to screwed...
Yeah...one or more would undoubtedly flake out of the deal.

I got a Kat coming over right now to take a look-see. Hopefully they're what he's looking for.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:23 PM   #31
JCampbell
Account Suspended

Quote:
i guess im too old school....remember back in the day when you listed something in the classifieds ? if you didnt list your number, well....

also being a contractor my number is on everything.......sometimes it does suck
Most of the time, I don't even let them come to my house. There are a few exceptions, but usually, I'll meet them in a public place nearby.

Lots of freaks out there.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:26 PM   #32
AntiGov

good idea JC on the concealed heat....I got a buddy who owns a gas station and a few yrs ago a tweaker shot him seven times...the gun jammed or number eight would have prolly killed him.....he packs religiously now but had he then maybe he would not have spent so much time in the hospital.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:31 PM   #33
AntiGov

Quote:
Most of the time, I don't even let them come to my house. There are a few exceptions, but usually, I'll meet them in a public place nearby.

Lots of freaks out there.
Im on the same page ....I dont want them coming to my house...I also have a sign at start of driveway that reads TRESPASSERS WILL BE VIOLATED...
Old 02-21-2013, 11:39 PM   #34
JCampbell
Account Suspended

Never leave home without it.

BTW, I'm stealing your sig.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:46 PM   #35
AntiGov

Quote:
Never leave home without it.

BTW, I'm stealing your sig.
HA thats killing me....how many non-members can we get ?..........
Old 02-22-2013, 02:47 AM   #36
JAMESCHURCH13
JamesChurch13

Jason I am so glad you were honest and normal. Unlike the guy I bought my truck from. Thanks.

Current vehicle collection:
1968 Chevy C-10 SWB Fleet Side, 327ci, TH350 (MD)
1987 Chevy Dually Quad Cab, 427ci, TH400
2008 Buell XB12SS, 1203cc
2006 YZ450F Wheelie Machine!
1997 Suzuki Bandit 600cc
And the Wife has some cars I pay insurance on and use to transport the kids!(01' Grand Cherokee and 06' Pontiac Grand Prix)
JAMESCHURCH13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:45 AM   #37
andrewmp6

What gets me is some will take a picture of a picture,I mean you own it why not walk outside and take a picture of two real fast its not hard every cell phone has a camera on it now.Or they take a picture 50 feet away and you can't tell what it is.I laugh at some adds misspelling the cars name or calling a inline 6 a v6 is common now.My fav ones to laugh at are the mechanic specials you see will be like a car with a broke timing belt they still ask the max book value on something that needs 2k in work to fix.Or the it ran when parked and say its been parked for years why so long if it ran.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:24 AM   #38
SSC's76
No No

well i think most of the people on there either think the stufff your selling is stolen or you need to sell it so you will take next to nothing. i sold a subaru a few years ago on there figured out after that need to ask double of what you want or there going to try and go for half of what your asking. i dont bother anymore i will look for the wanted adds if i have something i will let them know my price and depending on the initial conversation adda little bit to let them feel good about talking me down or just say out right if you want to pay this then this is where you can find me. great thing about colorado you can open carry makes weirdos easyer to deal with when they see a shinny handle of a glock sticking out of a holster
Gen VI 454, Muncie HD 3 speed With Modified OE Hurst Shifter, 3.73 12 bolt, GMPP HO roller cam, Hooker headers, Performer intake with modified Q-jet, Accel distributor. Best 1/4 12.3 @108. Funnest run 19.84 @88 full 1/4 mile burn out.
1997 K1500 ext cab 5.7 stock except muffler
SSC's76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:00 AM   #39
zook

I always like it when there is all kind of crap in view. drinks cups etc.. one guy had 2 quarts of oil in his drink holder on the floor and another has a gallon of antifreeze what are they thinkin?. good selling points. there are nuts and there are nuts just darn good funny stuff. cl does have some good deals you just have to watch.
Posted via Mobile Device
zook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:47 AM   #40
D.FENS

Quote:
very true.....could have been a different story....
Buddy Roe probably didn't want to tangle with me (I'm a big guy), but his words and actions were so confusing I just had to walk away. A real big WTF moment.

On the way home I was mad at myself more than him, because I didn't have the people skills to defuse the situation enough to actually buy that POS for the price I wanted to pay.

My C30 is straight enough and not rusty, maybe I should just build that instead of getting jerked around by losers and crack heads on CL.
D.FENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:41 AM   #41
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
I was trying to sell my 97 GTI on CL because it was getting to much for me to want to fix, but it did have a few great things about it.

I listed it at $1000 which is what I wanted, and I got a ton of calls from people offering less then what pick a part would give me. It ran great but had electrical issues, and likely needed a new harness. Nothing to hard, but I feel out of love with it. Pick a Part gave me $550 for it, and I kept all the things out of the car I wanted. Which would of been included for the $1000.

So this one idiot shows up, and starts saying $300 cash. I told him pick a part would pay $550, and they won't get the new tires, stereo, and newer front seats. So he lays into the car, and how its not perfect. To which I tell him what car is perfect for $1000.

So his abortion of a dad try's 1/2 way getting in my face, and saying I need to negotiate. So I bring up the fact your offering less then pick a part, and gtfo. They leave , and call the cops. So the cops come to my house, and ruin my dinner time. Pizza getting cold is never fun. So the abortion try's telling the cops he's offering me top dollar, and I am being a a$$ because I won't sell it to him. I told the cops that hes offing almost 1/2 of what pick a part would. I am pretty sure after the cop got through yelling at him he got some form of a ticket.
I would have told the cop,"I'd like to hang around,dinners already cold and this is entertaining."
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:34 AM   #42
JCampbell
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMESCHURCH13 View Post
Jason I am so glad you were honest and normal. Unlike the guy I bought my truck from. Thanks.
Yeah, 10-4. Glad your buddy liked 'em.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:43 AM   #43
JCampbell
Account Suspended

How about the guys who email you and the first thing they ask is "what's the lowest you'll take?" How about the asking price, Douchebag?

I can understand a "big" item like a truck, where you have room to negotiate a little, but on small, inexpensive stuff, just pay the asking price or move along.

I have a tall, metal storage cabinet listed for $60. Guy emails me last night: "what's the lowest you'll take?" 0.o Really, Dude? It's only $60 bucks. You want me to just give it to you for free?

I didn't respond.

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/tls/3624595401.html
Old 02-22-2013, 12:26 PM   #44
nate_g_2003

Quote:
How about the guys who email you and the first thing they ask is "what's the lowest you'll take?" How about the asking price, Douchebag?

I can understand a "big" item like a truck, where you have room to negotiate a little, but on small, inexpensive stuff, just pay the asking price or move along.

I have a tall, metal storage cabinet listed for $60. Guy emails me last night: "what's the lowest you'll take?" 0.o Really, Dude? It's only $60 bucks. You want me to just give it to you for free?

I didn't respond.

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/tls/3624595401.html
haha "Store all the things!" I would give you $75 just because of that line right there!

I NEVER put my phone number on the ad. Too many wierdos out there, and I get enough phone calls as it is. If you really want it, email me through the ad, like I ask in the ad.
2005 Ford F150 Lariat SCrew 2WD "The Daily Driver" SOLD
1995 GMC Sierra C1500 SLE "The Daily Driver"SOLD
2003 Ford Ranger Edge 2DSC 2WD Flareside "The Daily Driver/Project"SOLD
nate_g_2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:18 PM   #45
bighaas79

It always blows my mind when the sellers will have the price in the title, say $1000, then when reading thru it, it will say that they want $1000 for it but they would take $600! You think by doing that you are actually going to get any offer close to $1000 if you say in the add you will take $600? The zombie apocolypse can't hit soon enough, we need to weed out some of these geniuses!
bighaas79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:51 PM   #46
JCampbell
Account Suspended

I know, right? Freakin' people...
Old 02-22-2013, 02:17 PM   #47
zook

Talking Re: Craigslist Vent...

I always get emails offering about half of the asking price? come show me the money then we can dicker. hard to make a deal on the phone no matter what. those always want to pay less once they show up. like most anything else you gotta take the good with the bad.
Posted via Mobile Device
zook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:36 PM   #48
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Hey Jason, I would be interested in one of those valve stems if you are willing to separate it from one of the wheels.

Anybody that has bought and sold stuff on CL will find humor in this website.

Funny, I have used winch cable on CL right now for $40. I get an email this morning from some guy offering $20 but I also need to deliver it to him in Colorado Springs. The audacity of some people! I would rather just chuck in the iron pile before I did that. I chose not to reply.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:38 PM   #49
JCampbell
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by zook View Post
those always want to pay less once they show up.
Unless I'm sick of tripping over the item and I just want it gone, I usually don't budge on my price. I list what I want and if you come over with less, I'll let you go home empty handed.

*Most* people don't want to waste a trip, and I've found that if you stick to your guns, nine times out of ten, they'll cave.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:45 PM   #50
JCampbell
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyLarry View Post
Hey Jason, I would be interested in one of those valve stems if you are willing to separate it from one of the wheels.
Sorry, I sold 'em last night.

Quote:
Anybody that has bought and sold stuff on CL will find humor in this website.
I LOVE that site. Reading through all the archives is a great way to waste an afternoon.

Quote:
Funny, I have used winch cable on CL right now for $40. I get an email this morning from some guy offering $20 but I also need to deliver it to him in Colorado Springs. The audacity of some people! I would rather just chuck in the iron pile before I did that. I chose not to reply.
I get that way sometimes. That's how I feel about that cabinet. I don't need it and it's really just in the way, but I'd rather haul it off to the scrap bin at work before I gave in to a pushy CL Creep.