The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-25-2014, 08:55 PM   #26
litew8

Re: Buying first truck - guidance on price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
http://eastnc.craigslist.org/bar/4537439001.html
Wow. $4500 for what appears to be a Black/White C10 Cheyenne Super with BLUE interior. That would be gorgeous restored, or as is. Would love to see the SPID to see if 1) it's a real Cheyenne Super (it's missing the correct door panels and I don't think the tailgate handle has the shiny sleeve, but it APPEARs original, hmmmm......) and 2) if it originally came with a blue custom cloth interior...
I agree. Even if it isn't, still looks like a good starter. You can tell it has been painted before, the top of the doors aren't painted correctly. If you check this one out, look for signs of bad body work/filler. Other than the bed floor appearing to rust through, it looks OK/straight to me on the outside, considering the limited amount of pics. The rusty floor possibly an indication that the frame/underbody is also rusty (like most are, but check and see to what extreme).

Last edited by litew8; 07-25-2014 at 09:03 PM.
litew8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:02 PM   #27
Meagent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattPSU View Post
I have a buddy who looked at this truck. I didn't get much feedback other than "There's a reason the pictures were taken so far away."

He was looking for a truck that was less of a project than you, so take that for what it's worth.
Matt - do you know if your buddy has checked out the primered one also around Columbia? Maybe he didn't even look if he saw the primer and is not looking for a project.
Meagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:58 PM   #28
MattPSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meagent View Post
Matt - do you know if your buddy has checked out the primered one also around Columbia? Maybe he didn't even look if he saw the primer and is not looking for a project.
I'm pretty sure he looked at the green one and just one other truck which he ended up buying.

1972 Chevy Cheyenne SWB - Build: Porterbuilt State 1 Front & Rear, Bolt in Notch, McGaughys 2.5 Drop Spindles, Boyd Welding Fuel Tank

UPSTATE SC GM TRUCK CLUB: FACEBOOK WEBSITE
MattPSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:26 PM   #29
rdgt67

Left off the k. 116k original miles.
rdgt67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 12:17 AM   #30
67swb72klb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
Buy the most rust free truck you can find that fits in your budget. If you spend more for a truck with a sound body you can always get the mechanicals to come around, but good mechanicals on a rusted hulk is just a bear to fix! There are times when buying a shell is a very good idea!
that is the bottom line!
good original metal is the hardest thing to find
Old 07-26-2014, 09:52 AM   #31
Meagent

Matt told me about the ease of swapping beds and just saw this one list. Motor is not original nor is hood but body looks very nice in the pics. I will be in that area today so will try to go look.
http://greensboro.craigslist.org/cto/4588116131.html
Old 07-26-2014, 03:05 PM   #32
wesmigletz

Quote:
Matt told me about the ease of swapping beds and just saw this one list. Motor is not original nor is hood but body looks very nice in the pics. I will be in that area today so will try to go look.
This one looks pretty clean. You won't fin a SWB like that in the L.A. area for that price.
1964 Malibu SS
1957 Corvette
Pics
www.picturetrail.com/wesmigletz
wesmigletz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 03:17 PM   #33
jocko

has a 455. prefer a gm, even if not original, engine in mine. always makes troubleshooting much easier, other than the basics, of course. There's nothing wrong with a 455 in a chev, however, as your thread title highlights, you're buying your first truck, so might be worth your while to buy something with a gm engine in it so that the wiring, all that stuff makes sense. If I'm misreading your thread title and you've got tons of experience with cars, in general, then please disregard. If just starting out, the small block chev is a great engine to learn on. and folks will be able to more easily answer your questions on here as well. it does look pretty nice though!
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 04:08 PM   #34
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
Now that looks like a cool old truck. Price seems reasonable as well, but it's craigslist, he's probably expecting 4500. Check it over really well for hidden rust and bondo, bring a soft magnet with you (like the flexible ones RockAuto sends with all their orders).

Like mentioned above, if you don't like having a "buick" motor... and want to ever swap to a Chevrolet, you won't be able to use anything off of that motor, and chances are the trans has the Buick, OLDs, Pontiac bolt pattern (referred to as the "BOP" pattern), which means you'll need a "Chevrolet" trans or bell housing.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 05:23 PM   #35
JHT67

I found that it's not a bad thing to look at one in the pouring rain, my dad and were checking one out and if it weren't for the rain he probably would have bought it. The rain was leaking through a seam in the roof somewhere around the windows and dripping inside the cab. There seems to be a replacement panel for every part of these trucks so I guess anything is repairable, but for me rust holes (or bubbling) anywhere around the windshield inside or out; I'm walking. So anyway if you've got plans to look at one and it starts raining, I'd say go look anyway.
Good luck.
Going through life's daily grind, I can feel the effects of this physical body's fleeting days, But with a young spirit I look toward a brighter day, knowing that in the eyes of eternity, I am but a babe in the arms of my Lord.........
JHT67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:04 PM   #36
Meagent

Very good point about the engine and I do not want to take on having to deal with alien wiring to the Chevy for my first time. Ask realized that truck did not have the small back window so even with the bed swap it would still be missing a feature I want. Back to waiting
Old 07-26-2014, 09:00 PM   #37
litew8

So... what was wrong with this one you posted? http://eastnc.craigslist.org/bar/4537439001.html
Old 07-26-2014, 09:05 PM   #38
Turbo1dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by litew8 View Post
So... what was wrong with this one you posted? http://eastnc.craigslist.org/bar/4537439001.html
It didn't have A/C and it wasn't a big block.
1988 LeSabre T-Type - Supercharged
Turbo1dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:29 PM   #39
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
Very good point about the engine and I do not want to take on having to deal with alien wiring to the Chevy for my first time. Ask realized that truck did not have the small back window so even with the bed swap it would still be missing a feature I want. Back to waiting
Wait, so you only want a small window stepside? That's going to put a huge limit on your pool of potential trucks. The small window was the standard window for 1967 Trucks ONLY. The big back window was an option in 67. From 1968 on all trucks had big back windows.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:34 PM   #40
litew8

^+ apparently it needs to be a big block. Reading the first few posts, I thought it would primarily be a truck for "I need a truck as we have a garden and orchard and are constantly working on things at my house", I don't see why a big block/more gas is needed for that type of hauling. That's just me though. I can somewhat understand the need for A/C, but typically could bare the heat if I've been working in it all day also. So idk
Old 07-27-2014, 10:26 AM   #41
JHT67

Quote:
This wasn't posted by OP, and all he said was it wasn't a step side
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo1dr View Post
It didn't have A/C and it wasn't a big block.
Quote:
^+ apparently it needs to be a big block. Reading the first few posts, I thought it would primarily be a truck for "I need a truck as we have a garden and orchard and are constantly working on things at my house", I don't see why a big block/more gas is needed for that type of hauling. That's just me though. I can somewhat understand the need for A/C, but typically could bare the heat if I've been working in it all day also. So idk
I didn't see where he said he needed a big block and A/C.
Going through life's daily grind, I can feel the effects of this physical body's fleeting days, But with a young spirit I look toward a brighter day, knowing that in the eyes of eternity, I am but a babe in the arms of my Lord.........
JHT67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:33 PM   #42
litew8

I think there are two conversations going on. Good luck in whichever you decide.