The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-07-2015, 08:00 AM   #26
kberger

Re: Vintage Air--Mechanical or Electric Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixysixss View Post
I'm still not sure how changing the fan, or changing from mechanical to electric fan, is going to solve your problem if it is not belt related. I recommend you call VA and explain what is going on and see if they can help.
I'm hoping it will solve my problem by keeping the condenser cooler, reducing the head pressure of the compressor. If the clutch, fan and electric condenser fan I ordered don't fix it, I plan on calling VA.
kberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:14 AM   #27
corvettejim1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by kberger View Post
I'm hoping it will solve my problem by keeping the condenser cooler, reducing the head pressure of the compressor. If the clutch, fan and electric condenser fan I ordered don't fix it, I plan on calling VA.
I was told by an A/C technician the R-134 system works best at 80% charged. It keeps the pressure down too.
https://coolc10.com/
corvettejim1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 10:12 AM   #28
AcampoDave

I cured my airflow problems by sealing the gap between the condenser and the radiator. I also improved the seal of the radiator to the core support. This forced my clutch fan to draw more air thru the condeser as other routes were closed. Worked like a charm. No more short cycling in town.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 04:14 PM   #29
kberger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcampoDave View Post
I cured my airflow problems by sealing the gap between the condenser and the radiator. I also improved the seal of the radiator to the core support. This forced my clutch fan to draw more air thru the condeser as other routes were closed. Worked like a charm. No more short cycling in town.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-08-2015, 04:15 PM   #30
kberger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kberger View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
What did you seal the gap with?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-08-2015, 08:32 PM   #31
AcampoDave

I sealed it underneath with a piece of aluminum flashing bolted to the existing holes in the core support. Next, I sealed the top of the radiator with some rear window gasket that I had laying around. And lastly, I blocked off just a couple of tubes on the radiator which weren't already covered by the condenser. The motor is a 283 and the radiator is more than adequate so it doesn't miss the extra 2 or 3 tubes I blocked off. (right hand side in the pic)
Edit: My A/C Is a Vintage Air "Sure Fit Kit" and the radiator came from Engineered Cooling Products
Attached Images

Last edited by AcampoDave; 08-08-2015 at 08:47 PM.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:52 PM   #32
kberger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcampoDave View Post
I sealed it underneath with a piece of aluminum flashing bolted to the existing holes in the core support. Next, I sealed the top of the radiator with some rear window gasket that I had laying around. And lastly, I blocked off just a couple of tubes on the radiator which weren't already covered by the condenser. The motor is a 283 and the radiator is more than adequate so it doesn't miss the extra 2 or 3 tubes I blocked off. (right hand side in the pic)
Edit: My A/C Is a Vintage Air "Sure Fit Kit" and the radiator came from Engineered Cooling Products
Thanks, I think I'll try that!
Old 08-09-2015, 11:49 PM   #33
AcampoDave

Glad to help., I guess I should clarify that the 2 or 3 tubes on the right are not technically blocked from ALL air flow. They are only blocked from DIRECT airflow because the flashing just seals between the side of the condenser and the core support. Therefore, the air is still free to pass thru the entire radiator surface but only after first passing thru the condenser. Also the lower flashing is technically bolted to the front frame cross member.... but you know what I mean anyhow. Good luck!