The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-09-2003, 09:55 PM   #26
toytruck
5-7 dropped 87 CC Dually

Trust me, change the temp sensor first. It's on the front of the intake by the water neck. Two wires to it ( green & black I think) Change when the motor is cold, unplug it, unsrew it, put new one in. This sensor tells the computer if the motor is cold or warm so it can send the right mixture of fuel to the tbi. When it goes bad the computer thinks the motor is warm and will not richin the mixture up(like not having a choke) thats why it keeps stalling. Bad O2 will make your motor run ruff. ( like its not firing on all eight cyln) If you feel a miss its the O2. Good luck. TBI are great when you get to know them. P.S. Electric fuel pumps either work or they don't.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:07 PM   #27
toytruck
5-7 dropped 87 CC Dually

To keep this simple just think of the temp sensor as your choke and the O2 sensor as your idle mixture srews.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:30 PM   #28
86SILVERADO

two things that cost absolutely nothing. Blip throttle and get out and make sure choke is closed. start truck with air intake off and hood up and head out window and make sure choke opens about 1/8 of an inch and then slowly opens as truck warms up. I pretty much gaurantee this will not be the case so you can then proceed to trying to adjust the choke or buy a new one ($$, I know) but if all is well in choke dept. you can try loosening the dist clamp nut and giving dist a little tweak to right or left your choice and see if she runs any better. fiddle with timing a bit for a few days and see if it makes any difference. I loosen the nut just enough so I can turn the dist with two hands and some effort this way you can adjust and drive without worry and adjust again until you get it right and you will not have to drive yourself nuts with getting at the clamp nut. Good luck

Wow it is obviously too late I just realized that you are a tbi with an 87 sorry man I avoid tbi's like the plague, just kidding but I can only offer the timing advice, sorry man,

Norris

67 C30 Dually Dump, with 350 transplant, Rockhauler

05 Duramax 3500

"If at first you don't succeed, try a bigger hammer"

Member of the 1-Ton club!

Last edited by 86SILVERADO; 10-09-2003 at 10:32 PM.
86SILVERADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 11:07 PM   #29
Low87
been here longer than Liz

Thanks for the advice guys, toy, that temp sensor sounds like you might have it right on the money. I'll pick up a new one tomorrow and see how we do, as well as an O2 sensor.

'87 SWB 6/8 drop "Piso"
'08 CCSB Silverado DD
the departed
'89 GMC K5 Jimmy 4x4 "Rusty Nuts"
'77 Chevy K5 Blazer 2wd
'83 Chevy stepside

"You get what you pay for" - Mike 'swervin ervin' Ervin
Low87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 04:47 AM   #30
TIMSPEED

Quote:
Originally posted by Low87
Thanks for the advice guys, toy, that temp sensor sounds like you might have it right on the money. I'll pick up a new one tomorrow and see how we do, as well as an O2 sensor.
Good luck! It's been so long since I've been around my TPI car that I've almost forgotten all my Fuel Injected knowledge! I never even thought of those two things...but now that they're mentioned I got my money riding on them...but the #6 spark plug fouling situation has me wondering still...
Old 10-10-2003, 04:51 AM   #31
TIMSPEED

Re: help me keep my piso running!

Quote:
Originally posted by Low87
I have to warm it up for at least 20 minutes each morning (even when it was 100+).
Right there tells me that your computer doesn't know when the truck is warm or cold...temp sender, right off the bat. As for it not wanting to idle, it may also be causing the problem because it DOES set fuel mixture according to temp of the truck. Maybe your idle air control valve is shot or dirty?
Old 10-10-2003, 08:22 AM   #32
Low87
been here longer than Liz

Re: Re: help me keep my piso running!

Quote:
Originally posted by TIMSPEED

Right there tells me that your computer doesn't know when the truck is warm or cold...temp sender, right off the bat. As for it not wanting to idle, it may also be causing the problem because it DOES set fuel mixture according to temp of the truck. Maybe your idle air control valve is shot or dirty?
If the idle air control valve being shot or dirty would make the engine act anything like when the idle air control valve is unplugged, I'd have to say no. I forgot to plug it back in after one of my many TBI rebuilding experiences, took me a while to figure out why the engine was idling at 3000 (no tach, but that's what it felt like).

'87 SWB 6/8 drop "Piso"
'08 CCSB Silverado DD
the departed
'89 GMC K5 Jimmy 4x4 "Rusty Nuts"
'77 Chevy K5 Blazer 2wd
'83 Chevy stepside

"You get what you pay for" - Mike 'swervin ervin' Ervin
Low87 is offline   Reply With Quote