The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-02-2017, 09:52 PM   #26
raggedjim

Re: Anyone else doing Ram Air?

Keith, I just realized your dad is Van Sizemore. I remember reading about his lightweight GTO in High Performance Pontiac back in 2003 or 2004. It's a great car with a heck of a story behind it.

I've had a few Pontiacs in my life, all I have left is a '79 Trans Am 400 4-speed and a 73 Firebird, but I dig the old Poncho's.

Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
'73 Firebird - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=853203
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:00 AM   #27
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
Keith, what would you recommend for intake plumbing? I'm running a mildly built Vortec 5.7 with a Quadrajet, and your opinion is greatly appreciated.
Can you post some pics, either on this thread or start a separate thread? We'll take a look -

If you are asking about the ductwork itself I like what WilliamFd55 and Andy are using as shown in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639
That's a cool car.
I wished my dad had been able to keep some of his company cars when he was with GM. 7 kids though made that tough I guess. Here is my cold air setup in my 71 C10 with 2004 6.0 installed. Yea I need to get the bend out of it but as of yet I haven't found anything that works.
Looks good; I agree with your comment about the bend but don't have a suggestion that falls within what you likely have available. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjim View Post
Keith, I just realized your dad is Van Sizemore. I remember reading about his lightweight GTO in High Performance Pontiac back in 2003 or 2004. It's a great car with a heck of a story behind it.
Thank you; "Seymore" - but yes. Most recently featured in Muscle Car Review:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/clas...NnY?li=BBnb4R5

Reminds me of a story he used to tell, about when he was older and met someone from his youth. The guy asked "...did you used to be Van Seymore?"

(lol)
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 08-03-2017 at 08:11 AM.
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:22 AM   #28
tsetsaf

Looks great. I have a 5.3 and made a cold airbox like Andy's red truck. Prior to the box incoming air temp was 160-200 degrees from under hood. After the air temp is now ambiant. I get no ram air effect.

If you take care to insulate or route the air tube you can further reduce temps. I elbowed mine up out of the wake of the radiator.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:31 AM   #29
harpo231

I believe for every 20% you reduce air temp you can gain up to 6% hp if you do the carb/ injector mods/adjustments to match.
harpo231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:20 AM   #30
Heavymetl

Science it up! Use a multi tester and a cheap thermocouple to measure air temp under the hood vs in the intake system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG8pjoe061k

I'm a believer in cold air intakes, especially at the track. It's not uncommon to see underhood temps in the 130 degree range before a run and that's a power killer. I mainly fool with EFI and all that sort of data is available within the software.
Moser 9" 3.25/4 wheel discs
11.16@121.07
Heavymetl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:47 AM   #31
CG
BlahBlahBlah

To me I dont care about the semantics of whats going on with it. I think you did a great job and no matter what you call it you made something cool that helps not hinders your engine performance.

But after reading this thread if it was mine Id make a cool sticker to put on the wide black edge, something that is factory looking that says ... Ram Air for 67' or insert whatever your truck is.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:05 PM   #32
StingRay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
You are correct. Cool air offsets any increase in restriction caused by the added plumbing.

What I am saying is that there is a high pressure area at the front of the truck (or the base of the windshield) that helps the air along the flow path. That's what would be considered ram air.

I would agree with this summary:

By way of background:

a) I designed the air induction system for the GMT800 version trucks, portions of which are still in use today.

b) The car pictured below is the '65 GTO that Pontiac engineering developed the '65/66/67 "ram air" package on. That car, and the prototype air pan, are sitting in my back garage, as they belonged to my father. In that application the car draws boundary air off the surface of the hood, so there is not much ram effect, but the resulting cool air was worth a .2 sec reduction in ET in the quarter mile.

As a result, I do have some fairly strong opinions (and objective data) on aftermarket "cold air" systems and engine air induction systems in general.

K
Interesting that you did the GMT 800 stuff. We see some of the guys swapping LS engines into these trucks that use the stock intake air box and plumbing. What is your opinion on the stock air box and plumbing vs aftermarket tubing and an open cone type filter stuffed behind the rad support?
Old 08-04-2017, 07:54 AM   #33
yuccales

Well done!
yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:03 AM   #34
haysonj

This is what I did with mine and it dropped the air temp by an average of 20 degrees when the outside temp is around 100. I think it helped with throttle response but did not notice any better gas mileage. The engine is computer controlled fuel injection.
Attached Images

Old 08-04-2017, 08:26 AM   #35
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamFd55 View Post
Ram air set up I made from a gas can. Not sure how I feel about it? Thoughts? Does it look out of place?
I think it look kewl, . My only suggestion would be to screen it to help reduce the amount of trash and debris you get in the engine compartment. Also, be wary of driving it in heavy rain, you will water down you filter.....

I built this setup for the Farm Truck. I'm not sure how much HP I gained, but I know it reduced my IAT's by 15 to 20 degrees. I need to do something similar to my Suburban, but I've pretty much run out of real estate under the hood...
Attached Images

Last edited by Hart_Rod; 08-04-2017 at 08:33 AM.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote