The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-25-2018, 10:19 PM   #26
bcfishon

Re: What's your oil change routine & methods?

If you are running a older flat tappet cam design motor make sure your oil has zddp in it as newer oils are low in this and could cause you issues,or at least you cam and lifters.
bcfishon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 12:08 AM   #27
mike16

mobile ! every 5k miles
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 12:56 AM   #28
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

If you don't drive your truck much, make sure it gets up to operating temperature and under load long (idling doesn't count- it doesn't get the trans and diff up to temp, either) enough to get the fuel that may have gone by the rings during warmup, and all the condensate evaporated from the crankcase as well. If you just drive it short distances, especially in cold weather, the oil change interval will be much shorter. I've seen all kinds of trash talk about oil filters, but in the 100s of thousands of miles I've driven, I've never had an oil-related failure in an engine. I see a lot of posts about zinc additives for flat tappet cams, but I've not seen a cam failure in any of my flat tappet vehicles, even though I've not used said additives. I'm sure that there are people who have had cam failure, but even before the oils changed, we have seen cam failure. Can't blame the oil, in 1970.

ETA- I fill the filter before installing it. Oil starvation isn't really an issue, if it's all oiled up from running until properly warmed up before draining. Being warmed up also removes the most contaminants, which are in solution and haven't had a chance to settle out.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA

Last edited by Steeveedee; 01-26-2018 at 01:02 AM.
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote