The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-11-2015, 05:29 PM   #501
pat english

Re: Meet Homer (the motor home)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350TacoZilla View Post
True you could cut on both sides of the M and then make two fill sections, but none of the tailgates have letters that are a match for the grille lettering so I plan to use a second set of them anyhow.
You could do that.but this is what i meant.I made the gate 6 inches wider.You also get a little mini gate for art or making a bench out of.
(Its not done.i just made the cuts today)

pat english is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:10 PM   #502
Advanced Design

Thats a good idea Pat. Slick.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 12:10 PM   #503
pat english

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Design View Post
Thats a good idea Pat. Slick.
Thanks!
Old 09-12-2015, 03:27 PM   #504
deejaaa1

truck looks like art with the color combo. dark is growing on me too. love the truck and you did a quick turn-around, in my opinion.
Originally Posted by gottattooz View Post
...68 Chevy Shortbed... guy clearcoated..and...threw glitter all over it...like he was feeding chickens!!!...
deejaaa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 12:30 AM   #505
350TacoZilla

That looks great like that! I wish they made one with the more rounded lettering the grille uses, I had even thought briefly of changing the grille letters to the block lettering (66 only right?) but really dont want to change the look it has.
350TacoZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 05:21 PM   #506
cooperhw

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat english View Post
You could do that.but this is what i meant.I made the gate 6 inches wider.You also get a little mini gate for art or making a bench out of.
(Its not done.i just made the cuts today)

That looks really good Pat. Wish mine didn't have so many letters I would have been able to do something similar. Or if I would have had two nice gates I could have got away with one cut as opposed to two.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 08:45 PM   #507
pat english

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhw View Post
That looks really good Pat. Wish mine didn't have so many letters I would have been able to do something similar. Or if I would have had two nice gates I could have got away with one cut as opposed to two.
Thanks bro.Itll need some hammer work before i can weld it up but im shooting for this weekend.

I was thinking about your gate.If you ever decide to redoo it,you could get a gmc and a chevy gate and make one thats 6 inches wider and stilll have the Chevrolet centered.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:51 PM   #508
cooperhw

Quote:
Thanks bro.Itll need some hammer work before i can weld it up but im shooting for this weekend.

I was thinking about your gate.If you ever decide to redoo it,you could get a gmc and a chevy gate and make one thats 6 inches wider and stilll have the Chevrolet centered.
Yeah, I thought about that. I have a lot of time into it already as is. If I ever re-did it I would put a flat piece over the letters section and drop a bowtie on it. Probably be the next owner who worries about that.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:01 PM   #509
pat english

Quote:
Yeah, I thought about that. I have a lot of time into it already as is. If I ever re-did it I would put a flat piece over the letters section and drop a bowtie on it. Probably be the next owner who worries about that.
Oh yeah That would look nice too.If your planning on selling it,im wondering whats next...
Old 09-16-2015, 06:04 PM   #510
cooperhw

Quote:
Oh yeah That would look nice too.If your planning on selling it,im wondering whats next...
Not really planning on it, but, I know myself too well. As to what's next. I was working on a 63 GMC shortbed fleetside when Homer came along. It's next in the Q along with finishing my Nova drag car.
Old 09-17-2015, 04:18 PM   #511
350TacoZilla

Homer would look great pulling a nova drag car around.
Old 09-18-2015, 01:35 AM   #512
cooperhw

Quote:
Homer would look great pulling a nova drag car around.
I agree with that. If I sell my Chevelle Pro-street car I will not be wanting to let old Homer go. At least not until I build a nicer truck.
Old 09-19-2015, 02:24 AM   #513
350TacoZilla

Ah what year chevelle do you have? I have a 69 SS I just got done putting a year correct 396 and a T5 in.
Old 09-19-2015, 09:32 AM   #514
cooperhw

Quote:
Ah what year chevelle do you have? I have a 69 SS I just got done putting a year correct 396 and a T5 in.
Very cool. Let's see a pic of that bad boy. I am currently on my 8th Chevelle. Last one was a really nice 70SS red, black vinyl top stripes, current Chevelle is a 67 black, LS-2 crate motor with a Tremic T56 6 speed and a nasty cam. I have a thread on the Chevelle and my Nova in the Alternate Tinkerings section.
Attached Images

Old 09-19-2015, 11:04 AM   #515
pat english

Quote:
Not really planning on it, but, I know myself too well. As to what's next. I was working on a 63 GMC shortbed fleetside when Homer came along. It's next in the Q along with finishing my Nova drag car.

I missed this post...Right on.The nova is too awesome.I would get into trouble in that..
Old 09-19-2015, 11:43 AM   #516
72longhornTX

Reading through the thread. Nice work and awesome project. In this picture, something caught my eye. I see you have some early 60's doors. What is the story on those and are you going to use them? I am trying to find a set but they are about impossible to find good quality ones.

If up to you, I would be interested in buying them and paying the freight to get them to Houston.

Former:
1979 C-20 2wd 350/TH400, 300+hp. Rattle can paint job
1982 K-30 454/700R4. 4in lift with 37" Goodyear MT/R's Lots of goodies - Trail clean up truck
72longhornTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 04:39 PM   #517
350TacoZilla

I think he said he has a 1963 waiting in the wings.

I dont know man, I like novas but thats I nice chevelle to be selling.

Here is the pic of my SS. The story on it is its my first car, my mom had it and when I was born my parents sold the original motor out of it to pay the hospital. Then they moth balled the car and told me if I graduated without repeating a grade it would be mine. So when I was 14 I used my allowance/lawn mowing etc money and fixed the car up with a 396/M-21/4.88 setup then drove it off and on through high school working on it here and there when I got some money. I ended up putting a 617hp drag boat 427 in it with 4.10 gears and a TH400, but 3mpg and 93 octane started killing me when the price of gas went up so I'm ashamed to say the car has been sitting covered in the garage for past 10 years almost. I decided to start getting car back road worthy last fall and put a near stock 396 with Q-jet back in it along with a firebird WC T5, I hope to get 13 mpg or so out of it and will be putting it back on the rd this spring.
Attached Images

Old 09-20-2015, 12:20 PM   #518
cooperhw

Well folks,
Not much new to report, but I was able to get my tailgate sprayed and the front bumper. Gonna see how I like it in body color. Didn't quite dig the dark color.
The gate came out pretty good for an old beat up tailgate. Once we paint the letters dark (or black) I think they will pop off the color. My bodyman did a good job getting this hacked up gate as good as it is. Don't know how well the pics will show, but here they are anyhow.
Like I have said before, I am really not trying to show off here. I am just wanting to build diary of sorts to be able to go back to and remember after it's on the road.
Attached Images

Old 09-20-2015, 12:23 PM   #519
flashed

I think they turned out great .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 12:29 PM   #520
cooperhw

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72longhornTX View Post
Reading through the thread. Nice work and awesome project. In this picture, something caught my eye. I see you have some early 60's doors. What is the story on those and are you going to use them? I am trying to find a set but they are about impossible to find good quality ones.

If up to you, I would be interested in buying them and paying the freight to get them to Houston.
Doors not for sale. I have a rust free 63 short bed fleet side truck waiting it's turn. I do have a couple guys near me that do sell parts. PM me if you want and I will give you their info.

Quote:
I think he said he has a 1963 waiting in the wings.

I dont know man, I like novas but thats I nice chevelle to be selling.

Here is the pic of my SS. The story on it is its my first car, my mom had it and when I was born my parents sold the original motor out of it to pay the hospital. Then they moth balled the car and told me if I graduated without repeating a grade it would be mine. So when I was 14 I used my allowance/lawn mowing etc money and fixed the car up with a 396/M-21/4.88 setup then drove it off and on through high school working on it here and there when I got some money. I ended up putting a 617hp drag boat 427 in it with 4.10 gears and a TH400, but 3mpg and 93 octane started killing me when the price of gas went up so I'm ashamed to say the car has been sitting covered in the garage for past 10 years almost. I decided to start getting car back road worthy last fall and put a near stock 396 with Q-jet back in it along with a firebird WC T5, I hope to get 13 mpg or so out of it and will be putting it back on the rd this spring.
Very cool story on the Chevelle. I love it. As to my Chevelle, I have had quite a few (8 to be exact) and I love em for a while, then not as much. I still love my 67 but kinda get bored especially when I want to roll onto something else. Kind of a flaw in my character I guess. Oh well, it is what it is.
Here's a couple at a local show a year or so ago.
Attached Images

Old 09-20-2015, 12:31 PM   #521
cooperhw

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
I think they turned out great .
Thanks Flashed. I am pretty happy with the outcome. Can't wait till next weekend when we mask off the gate and paint the letters.
Old 09-20-2015, 12:51 PM   #522
cooperhw

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejaaa1 View Post
truck looks like art with the color combo. dark is growing on me too. love the truck and you did a quick turn-around, in my opinion.
deejaaa1,

thanks man, I appreciate the feedback. the dark kinda grew on me, but not completely, so it's gone. Checking out the bumper painted body color now. If I don't like that I will have to buy a chrome one, but didn't really want to throw any bling onto Homer if I can help it. That's not what he's all about.
Old 09-20-2015, 07:59 PM   #523
pat english

Quote:
Well folks,
Not much new to report, but I was able to get my tailgate sprayed and the front bumper. Gonna see how I like it in body color. Didn't quite dig the dark color.
The gate came out pretty good for an old beat up tailgate. Once we paint the letters dark (or black) I think they will pop off the color. My bodyman did a good job getting this hacked up gate as good as it is. Don't know how well the pics will show, but here they are anyhow.
Like I have said before, I am really not trying to show off here. I am just wanting to build diary of sorts to be able to go back to and remember after it's on the road.
The gate looks really good.I kinda like it with the extra letter.It'll make people scratch there heads for sure..
Old 09-20-2015, 08:05 PM   #524
Advanced Design

I like the tail gate. And I had to read it 4 times to catch the extra letters even though I knew it was there. The old brain was glossing over them. Like that Chevelle too. Very nice!
Old 09-20-2015, 08:54 PM   #525
Advanced Design

If anyone wants to build a Homer 2 here is your chance.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/c...bb-auto&cat=12
Attached Images