The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-05-2007, 02:21 PM   #51
prg machine

Re: vacume advance question

See if I have it right. My engine guy says no more than 32* total timing on the 383 roller cam engine I am installing with a MSD Billet Dist. and 6AL box. If I understand correctly I set the dist. timing with vac plugged at idle speed to like maybe 12*.. Then with vac hooked back up to vac advance I run engine up to say 1200 with light on timing mark and damper tape and romp the throttle hard. I should see no more than 32 on that timing tape.
Do I have it correct????
prg machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:11 PM   #52
76bonanza

Re: vacume advance question

Quote:
Originally Posted by prg machine View Post
See if I have it right. My engine guy says no more than 32* total timing on the 383 roller cam engine I am installing with a MSD Billet Dist. and 6AL box. If I understand correctly I set the dist. timing with vac plugged at idle speed to like maybe 12*.. Then with vac hooked back up to vac advance I run engine up to say 1200 with light on timing mark and damper tape and romp the throttle hard. I should see no more than 32 on that timing tape.
Do I have it correct????
Not exactly You need to know how much mech advance your dizzy has, pay no mind to the vaccum advance at this point.

So my MSD is set with the blue bushing witch gives me 21 deg mech advance plus my intial so if you wanted 32 you would set intial to 11. Then hook up you vaccum and set up you idle on your carb.
76bonanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:37 PM   #53
prg machine

Re: vacumm advance question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billla View Post
This gets into a discussion about overall timing - initial, mechanical, vacuum...and the build level of the engine.

Here's the best explanation I've ever seen from a VERY HIGHLY respected tuner.
even more confused now after reading this. It says that I get a total timing without the vaccuum hooked up and then the centrifigual should be about 36 and then when vaccuum is hooked back up it will add 14 or so degrees and give me 50 at cruise????
So how do we get there from here???
Old 09-05-2007, 06:19 PM   #54
Billla
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by prg machine View Post
even more confused now after reading this. It says that I get a total timing without the vaccuum hooked up and then the centrifigual should be about 36 and then when vaccuum is hooked back up it will add 14 or so degrees and give me 50 at cruise????
So how do we get there from here???
Take a look at the timing FAQ in my .signature all of your questions are answered there
Billla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 08:46 AM   #55
prg machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billla View Post
Take a look at the timing FAQ in my .signature all of your questions are answered there
Thanks a bunch. This clears it all up! I see now why the MSD comes with all of the extra stuff.
Thanks