The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-03-2008, 04:32 PM   #51
prg machine

Re: deer gets another one

that worked so here are the rest
Attached Images

Crane roller cam lifters and rockers ,1.6 intake ratio, Open chamber heads, 9.5-1 compression ratio, 2.02 intake valves , Edelbrock performer Air Gap manifold Carter AFB performer 750cfm, MSD ignition, SM465 NP205 4.10 gears:
prg machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 04:33 PM   #52
prg machine

and
Attached Images

Crane roller cam lifters and rockers ,1.6 intake ratio, Open chamber heads, 9.5-1 compression ratio, 2.02 intake valves , Edelbrock performer Air Gap manifold Carter AFB performer 750cfm, MSD ignition, SM465 NP205 4.10 gears:
Old 08-03-2008, 04:34 PM   #53
prg machine

one more
Attached Images

Old 08-03-2008, 04:39 PM   #54
prg machine

todays score: Man was luck with me.............these are great parts
Attached Images

Old 08-04-2008, 12:14 AM   #55
prg machine

this is probably turning into a build thread...............but anyway continuing on"::::: today I got the frame back pretty darn straight. I ended up bolting a 3 foot length of 3/8 thick 2 a 4 channel to the frame horn. hooking a chain to the end of it so now i had a 3 foot lever on it................I then hooked the chain to the reciever on the 3/4 ton Jeep and gave it a 6 foot running start and wanged the frame over about 1 1/2 inches..............almost perfect!!!

I pounded down on the same channel several heavy blows with a sledge hammer and got it level with the other side.

I pulled the truck up into the garage and leveled off the front and i am within a 1/4 of an inch of being perfect across the tops of the horns..............I put a level across the engine and it sets level side to side. The hole spacing is correct for thebumper mounts and i am done with that. Tommorow i am pulling the radiator and core support to straighten it and weld up it's cracks.
The steering wheel sets slightly off clocking when wheels are dead straight ahead..............not perfect but close. I had measured wheelbase before I started and the left front was pulled so far forward from being bent over to the right, that the wheel base was 2 inches longer on that side than the right side. It is now less than 3/4 of an inch different. The engine sets level between the frame rails and tommorow i will pull the radiator and straighten the core support.
I picked up a new Z bar clutch bell crank to instal if need be............my clutch pedal was extremely stiff before i started straightening and is considerably better now, but there is no freeplay . something is out of adjustment and iIwill replace the bell crank if need be.

More, as I get it done.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:15 AM   #56
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Sweet glad to see ya scored some parts to get her fixed....

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:28 AM   #57
'72_GMC

WoW, Looks like the Dear got mad and came back and kicked the Sh** out of your truck and then Jumped on the Roof! Hope U recover without Ill effects,

I have a spare cab if U need it, Needs Rocker panels but appears to have good floors, it is the 1 ton, so it has the Cool Nav lights in the Roof too :-) You will have to add your own slider. I am in SW Washington State.
'72_GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:55 AM   #58
prg machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by '72_GMC View Post
WoW, Looks like the Dear got mad and came back and kicked the Sh** out of your truck and then Jumped on the Roof! Hope U recover without Ill effects,

I have a spare cab if U need it, Needs Rocker panels but appears to have good floors, it is the 1 ton, so it has the Cool Nav lights in the Roof too :-) You will have to add your own slider. I am in SW Washington State.
Thanks................I'll keep it in mind..................if i can't fix this cab I might need another one. I just got done with the rust repairs to the cab on the floor and rockers, cab corners etc. completely finished with new glass seals etc. realy hope to save it.

Thanks to everyone for the helping hands...............even the applause! HA!
Old 08-04-2008, 02:18 PM   #59
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Maybe you can go to h.a.n. next year with us...
Attached Images

MEMBER #6377

Project "7DEUCE"

Old 08-04-2008, 04:56 PM   #60
prg machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRENCHBLUE72 View Post
Maybe you can go to h.a.n. next year with us...
tell me more about h.a.n. you have some nice trucks by the way!
Old 08-04-2008, 10:14 PM   #61
odog

Glad to see you are making progress, Hope all goes well.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:21 PM   #62
Arad68
Trucks N Tranzams

H.A.N = Hot August Nights in Reno Nevada

Quote:
Originally Posted by prg machine View Post
tell me more about h.a.n. you have some nice trucks by the way!

'68 Chevy LB 383 TH400/GV/373 posi
'56 Chevy 4WD SWB
'64 Chevy short stepside
'79 Trans Am 455/TH2004R/12blt/4whldisc
95 Kia (Wifes car)
2002 S-10 extended cab pickup
"God punishes small sins immediately"
Arad68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:23 PM   #63
prg machine

I worked on the quarter skirt today.............getting close
I tried the gate and then started calling around..............I might have found one for 50-100 dollars I will look Friday.
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2008, 08:41 AM   #64
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Yep h.a.n. in hot august nights I usually go every year but I needed funds to finish my 2wd project. BTW the 67 4wd on the back is board member ponts and the blazer is mine looks like we are gonna have to get a small board meet together. I have another cab id sell ya(very cheap) last time I looked at it it was pretty rust free I just need the vin tag off it but ya are gonna have to come and get it.

MEMBER #6377

Project "7DEUCE"

Last edited by FRENCHBLUE72; 08-05-2008 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:42 PM   #65
prg machine

I am going to seriously try saving this cab for now..................thanks for the offer.

I have found a lot of parts and have made some progress on the repairs.
I have a Uni-spot stud gun ordered and 500 studs to go after that cab. I hope it works. I was able to pound the doot frame back up straight with a block of wood and BF Hammer.
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2008, 10:48 PM   #66
justcuz

Did I miss the insurance part? Did you just have liability? Probably just as well, no hassle with the insurance company. Just keep and fix your truck as you are doing now. Looks like you are doing a great job of it. I would definately spend the money to have the frame checked and straightened by a reputable shop before you start the total rebuild. It will keep it from dog tracking and wearing tires and pulling and/or driving funny.
justcuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 11:51 AM   #67
prg machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcuz View Post
Did I miss the insurance part? Did you just have liability? Probably just as well, no hassle with the insurance company. Just keep and fix your truck as you are doing now. Looks like you are doing a great job of it. I would definately spend the money to have the frame checked and straightened by a reputable shop before you start the total rebuild. It will keep it from dog tracking and wearing tires and pulling and/or driving funny.
No collision/comprehensive....................just liability.
You're right, the hastles just with the liability are enough to bear!

The truck came out of this wreck pretty much just a parts case......................I built the truck for a fun projectm and occasional hauler...............cruise the back country..explore the woods and have fun. I guess I could have the frame checked, but more than likely they will start the "wow! you got some real problems here" routine and i would be right back where i started.

I plan on spending very little money and just spare time to get it somewhat straight and driveable and if it does behave funny.................it will become parts.

On another note..................if you only have lap belts, which i did in this accident, go to the yard and get some houlder /lap sets from a later GM truck and bolt em in. I just got a set for 40 bucks.

If I would have had them in this accident i would have prevented this 2 inch long gash that I have on my forehead and being knocked out on the collision.The best i can figure i hit the wing window handle or wing frame with my head.

get shoulder belts
Old 08-09-2008, 02:32 PM   #68
justcuz

Thats why I said reputable frame shop. Ask around. I see that you have a few 4x4's so maybe it's not that big a deal to you. However just a 60 mile trip on the highway to go to an off road spot, or that dirt road to the favorite fishing spot along the river, can really play hell with your tires. If I spent money on anything, it would be a frame straightening or replacement.
At the very least you go online or e-bay you can buy crash sheets that will give you datim measurements for the frame. Last set I bought was less than 10 bucks.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:37 PM   #69
Arad68
Trucks N Tranzams

Quote:
Originally Posted by prg machine View Post
No collision/comprehensive....................just liability.
You're right, the hastles just with the liability are enough to bear!

The truck came out of this wreck pretty much just a parts case......................I built the truck for a fun projectm and occasional hauler...............cruise the back country..explore the woods and have fun. I guess I could have the frame checked, but more than likely they will start the "wow! you got some real problems here" routine and i would be right back where i started.

I plan on spending very little money and just spare time to get it somewhat straight and driveable and if it does behave funny.................it will become parts.

On another note..................if you only have lap belts, which i did in this accident, go to the yard and get some houlder /lap sets from a later GM truck and bolt em in. I just got a set for 40 bucks.

If I would have had them in this accident i would have prevented this 2 inch long gash that I have on my forehead and being knocked out on the collision.The best i can figure i hit the wing window handle or wing frame with my head.

get shoulder belts
Just make sure you don't get the seatbelts out of a truck that has been in a crash. Seatbelts that pass the visual test may not pass the crash test.

'68 Chevy LB 383 TH400/GV/373 posi
'56 Chevy 4WD SWB
'64 Chevy short stepside
'79 Trans Am 455/TH2004R/12blt/4whldisc
95 Kia (Wifes car)
2002 S-10 extended cab pickup
"God punishes small sins immediately"
Arad68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 04:44 PM   #70
prg machine

justcuz....................you are right on with the advice. I drove the truck up to a close by weigh station that has the perfect level pad for getting down with the tape measure. The truck isn't bad...............definitely still off on the front frame horns but only from just ahead of the front motor mount bolt that goes through the frame and it is a gradual bend.
The truck handled as good as before the crash and if I let go of the wheel it stayed reasonably straight for some time and definitely did not pull to one side or the other. It also stayed in a straight line with a couple of hard brake applications. I definitely did not lock it up since that is what caused the mess to begin with. The rear end will come around .
If you watch the most recent version of Vanishing Point there is a road block scene and a white K truck locks em up and starts to go around to one side. Typical of an empty pick up from my experience.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:03 PM   #71
justcuz

If you install an adjustable proportioning valve on the rear brake system you can adjust that out. This gives you the advantage of adjusting in more rear brake bias as your load changes. It works great in wet weather too! If you were so inclined to convert to disc brakes, a 14 bolt set of brackets work on the Eaton rear axle.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:44 AM   #72
prg machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcuz View Post
If you install an adjustable proportioning valve on the rear brake system you can adjust that out. This gives you the advantage of adjusting in more rear brake bias as your load changes. It works great in wet weather too! If you were so inclined to convert to disc brakes, a 14 bolt set of brackets work on the Eaton rear axle.
please explain the "adjusting more rear brake bias" This is all new to me.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:45 AM   #73
prg machine

started fitting up some parts and checking some allignment.
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2008, 01:17 AM   #74
Richard8971
Still livin the "dream" in '54

Just FYI. I have a body shop in Sutherlin. If you need help with anything, even questions, drop me a line!

Don

My '67 stepper "Tangerine Dream"

"Anything worth doing is worth doing right" James Dean

“When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Sherlock Holmes

"There is no spoon." Neo
Richard8971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 01:37 PM   #75
justcuz

The valve has a knurled knob that turns in and out. As you turn the knob it opens up or restricts the flow of brake fluid to the rear brakes. With an adjustible one as opposed the the factory one, you can fit it to the weight in the rear of the truck. Some trucks have a weight regulating brake proportioning valve in the rear of the truck. It is mounted to the frame above the rear axle. There is an arm that is attached to the axle from the valve, as you load the truck the arm moves upward allowing more brake pressure to be applied to the rear brakes. I have seen adjustable ones mounted on the driver side floorboard, or under the dash, so you can adjust it from inside the cab. Most of the time they are under the hood. The point is you can adjust the brake bias to the rear and minimize or eliminate rear brake lockup.