The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-20-2015, 06:57 PM   #1
JPutnam

I always wanted a sweet old truck

Im Joshua. been checking out this forum for a few years. finally made an account. decided to post my slow projects.

1966 gmc 1000
vin on the title reads
VIN/HINI1002PD9073A
I cant find any info on the vin or truck. (I havent looked at the vin on the truck itself yet, keep forgetting)

anyway it had a "fresh rebuild" on it. and a valve job. but the guy never put the head back on. that"literally is the only thing that needs to be done to have a solid driver."
the guy picked it up from the original owner who daily drove it until 1989. I have the service reciepts and a small book of every fillup and maintenance its seen until then. story goes the guy I got it from picked it up in 2010 from the guy after he had the valve job and rebuild done. the head was in a nice new box in the bed and the engine had nice new tape on the top. So I didnt do much more looking. figured I could just swap a 350 or something into it if the engine didnt work.

well $700 later I was loading it up and taking it home. once I got it home I tore into the box to find the bottom was all wet and the head and valves all rusty. took the tape off the block and there was about 25 years of dust and grime on/in it. decided to take it out and to a machine shop to see if it was worth doing. they claimed a full build would be $1200. deal.
So I started buying cool new parts for it while they went through the head and block. 3 months later and $2900 later(long story) I had a fresh built block and head. everything new.

threw it into my truck and started it up. idled it for 2 minutes and saw steam coming out the breather. ugh. milkshake in radiator and milkshake in oilpan.

dropped the truck off to the machine shop and they tore into it.from underneath you could easily see a giant crack. nobody knew how the guy who did the work didnt see it. Anyway they ordered me a brand new factory assembled block. So I took out the engine again(since they wouldnt) and dropped it off.
so the block is new.
the heads is fully machined and rebuilt.
all new parts for the engine. i.e. alt, starter, hei dist, water pump, etc.
new heatercore and radiator.
new everything.

chrome side covers and valve cover that leak.

edlebrock dual carb setup that dumps way too much gas.(stock rochester carbs, each tuned to run the engine by itself.. I need to rejet but have no clue what to do)
ordered new balljoints and tierods and brakes but havent put them on yet.

plans to bag it.
custom triangulated 4 link rear. (has leaf springs.

tune it then drive it around.

I didnt take many pictures when I bought it. but have tried to capture the goods since.

sandblasted a bunch.

my computer is being super slow. I will try and get more pictures up later. I am hoping to pull the front subframe soon. then pancake it and install all the new stuff.
JPutnam is offline   Reply With Quote