The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-28-2019, 06:57 PM   #51
SoCoC10

Re: Sad where the hobby is headed

It seems almost weekly I’m coming across someone selling their fathers car collection or a vehicle that has been sitting for decades. The 70 C10 sat from 1986 to late September(33 years)!when the 82 year old hoarder finally decided to part with it. The 57’ was part of a an older gentleman’s collection from New Mexico. His son was misinformed on most of the details of it. Claiming the engine was an original 283ci when it is in fact a 65’ 327ci with Camel hump heads.
Attached Images

SoCoC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:03 PM   #52
Grumpy old man

What's sad is this thread , There aren't enough classic cars and trucks left for all the guys who still want to build one , The hobby isn't going anywhere ........We are .....

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 09:19 AM   #53
VWNate1

Post Re: Sad where the hobby is headed

That's the end truth : the people who supported this hobby for decades are dying off and most of the newer member only have a passing interest .

I remember when the roaring 20's cars were still very popular and driven a lot .

Now they're unwanted apart from static displays, Hot Rodders and the occasional movie rental .

Have fun now while you still can peeps ~ I'm hard up against physical limitations now although I still want to spin wrenches daily, it's just not easy anymore so away will go my old vehicles and crap soon .
'69 C/10 shortbed sidemount survivor 250 L6 W/ 350TH
VWNate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 10:22 AM   #54
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWNate1 View Post
That's the end truth : the people who supported this hobby for decades are dying off and most of the newer member only have a passing interest .

I remember when the roaring 20's cars were still very popular and driven a lot .

Now they're unwanted apart from static displays, Hot Rodders and the occasional movie rental .

Have fun now while you still can peeps ~ I'm hard up against physical limitations now although I still want to spin wrenches daily, it's just not easy anymore so away will go my old vehicles and crap soon .

You hit the nail on the head.... I'm in this same situation. I'll soon be 77 and I still go out to the shop every day and wrench on my old junk, but it is getting harder all the time. I am in relatively good shape and still have all of my original parts, which makes it a little easier, but I am considering slowing down some. Be ready to give most of your tools and stuff away because they're not worth much any more.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 06:05 AM   #55
special-K
Special Order

I see the hobby as just getting going. I am 64, born in '55, and have grown up with older car love. It was the antiquey pre-war cars that were 'collector cars' when I was young. The reason those are less popular now may be the generation that loved them most are either gone or very old. But the main reason you don't see them being bought and driven is where ya gonna drive it? I see people here who feel they can't drive their 67-72 in daily traffic w/o overdrive and 300 hp. Unless you have a network of old 2-lane roads to drive them on, they aren't all that roadworthy in this hyped out people running over each other world.

I see the hobby as just getting going. The hobby was never so widespread as it is today. New restoration parts continue to be produced, new companies coming out, The exposure to these trucks is still on the incline and desire to own is spreading like wildfire. That's why they cost what they do. The cheap ones aren't cheap and the expensive ones are through the roof. I never saw so many huge steel buildings in backyards for hobby interests. I never saw so many with lifts and professional level tools and shop equipment. I see people's backyard shops better outfitted than the shops I used to have my cars repaired at. Mig & tig welders, plasma cutters, sandblast cabinets... I see shops better equipped than body shops when I was growing up. Look on YouTube or anywhere else at all the custom fabrication being done like never before. This hobby isn't going anywhere, it's evolving. Evolving into LS-swaps, pro-touring style builds, autocross, full custom builds, retro gassers, all the things you see younger generations doing.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 10-30-2019 at 08:54 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 08:25 PM   #56
flashed

Check out United By Trucks on YouTube and you will see me learning about bagging a 2 wheel drive K5 Blazer , we do LS Swaps , static lower trucks , drag trucks out of barns , Im learning to evolve with the younger guys I hang out with playing with these trucks . We have quite a few builds ahead of us and it aint slowing down a bit .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 08:36 PM   #57
LakeAnna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
What's sad is this thread , There aren't enough classic cars and trucks left for all the guys who still want to build one , The hobby isn't going anywhere ........We are .....
LOL! True.

72 RESTO

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=501870
LakeAnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 12:33 PM   #58
Low Elco

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
Check out United By Trucks on YouTube and you will see me learning about bagging a 2 wheel drive K5 Blazer , we do LS Swaps , static lower trucks , drag trucks out of barns , Im learning to evolve with the younger guys I hang out with playing with these trucks . We have quite a few builds ahead of us and it aint slowing down a bit .

I love that channel! Who are you in the show? I gotta remember to order some stickers.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 01:15 PM   #59
flashed

I'm John , the short fat guy , Lol.
Old 10-31-2019, 03:33 PM   #60
67C10Step

I’ve watched a ton of the United by trucks videos! Great stuff and I’ve been jealous numerous times.

The sad part of this hobby is not someone selling their fathers or grandfathers truck to another loving owner. The sad part is seeing those trucks sold to folks that will blow them apart and sell it a piece at a time. Sure, it lets a lot of folks get what they need for their projects but just feels wrong to me and tells me how hot the market is for these trucks right now.
2024 Toyota Tundra
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 05:46 PM   #61
VWNate1

Unhappy Re: Sad where the hobby is headed

I wish I knew an honest shop to finish the re assembly of my 1969 C/10 stepper in Southern California , the body & paint works are all done and assembled, just the final assembly o the wiring and HVAC etc. needs doing, I'm just too dang old & broken down to do it anymore .

'69 C/10 shortbed sidemount survivor 250 L6 W/ 350TH
VWNate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 09:17 AM   #62
Low Elco

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWNate1 View Post
I wish I knew an honest shop to finish the re assembly of my 1969 C/10 stepper in Southern California , the body & paint works are all done and assembled, just the final assembly o the wiring and HVAC etc. needs doing, I'm just too dang old & broken down to do it anymore .

Lucky Costa. Mobiletechlucky on instagram. Yes he's famous, but he still does a lot of work out of his own shop. He's in the Torrance/Carson/Gardena area. Give him a shout.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 12:13 PM   #63
2 Stovebolts

Values....Ha...reasonably priced cars & trucks are selling....Not the moon shots....There's a GTO on ebay that started out as $25k with the seller saying Quote: ONLY SERIOUS BUYERS, I DON'T HAVE THE TIME TO WASTE
NOR DO I NEED TO SELL IT
now its down to 22K..... People drinking too much Barrett Jackson Kool aid.....
2 Stovebolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 12:26 PM   #64
rowdy11

Nice work John getting younger folks interested! I'm in my mid 40's and realize that what I like (67-72) is hot now but may not be hot in 20-30 years. I think about that and my kids interest (or lack thereof) every time I invest time and $$ into my ride.
But at the end of the day, it's something that brings me joy, my kids a bit more knowledge and appreciation. That's all I can ask for.
rowdy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 06:03 AM   #65
richards72chevy

Most people under the age of 50 post their builds on instagram or Facebook anymore.I noticed young people don't cruise a local main strip like they used to.
richards72chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 09:52 AM   #66
c60clf

I feel as though the 67 72 trucks are some of the strongest collectables going. My trucks being medium duty 72 c50 and 66 lcf may not be as
universally loved as 10 series, but get attention from all age groups. Attending truck nationals at Carlisle would be proof of strong desire for these trucks,they just finish them a little different than maybe I would,but I still love them enjoying their truck the way they like. Slammed or raised up it's all good ��. When young people look at my truck I tell them to get in, if have time I give a ride,this makes memories and strengthens our hobby,Pat
c60clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 08:51 PM   #67
Spartan

I can relate. I love living out in the country and putting down the backroads. I like to get a sub sandwich and head up some of the logging roads for the day. That’s what makes me content.
My son wants to live in an apartment in the city and take public transit. Instead of going for a drive he works weekends and plans a vacation every six months. He’s content.
My youngest just wants to be a ninja. He likes trucks but by the time he’s working for a living rural jobs a person can support a family on will be all but gone. He helps out with the restoration stuff and at 6 years old can weld ok. However he also likes computer stuff and it seems like that’s when he’s most content.
I guess my point is these days when you factor in work, space, and how little a dollar stretches these days and cars that plug into a wall... well...the cool old iron just doesn’t factor in to the equation.
Different strokes I guess.
Posted via Mobile Device
Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 01:04 AM   #68
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stovebolts View Post
Values....Ha...reasonably priced cars & trucks are selling....Not the moon shots...People drinking too much Barrett Jackson Kool aid.....
Agree 100%. Askin’ and gettin’ are two different things. People get all worked up over what they see and hear on the internet. I’ve gone to the last 6 Pomona swap meets (one of the largest and most prolific in the country). Same trucks, same sellers, NONE of them have sold. That’s reality, no guesswork there. You can only flip something so many times before people realize there’s no more value to be had.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 07:27 AM   #69
special-K
Special Order

Not all over the top crazy priced stuff sells, but some does and that's what we have for reference. Like people have said, look at completed Ebay sales, not listings. Auctions I have always taken with a grain of salt. But people do go by them, unfortunately. I see crazy high dollar vehicles at Carlisle get sold from the car corral every event. I have always done well with looking at it as "what the vehicle is worth to me". Years ago, I was the guy paying too much for an old truck. The way they have shot up, it's hard for me to find one I'd be willing to pay the price for.

On the topic of the thread. What I come away from this thread with is you can't judge the future of our hobby by one case of the kids selling off Dad's truck once he's gone. We don't know how they came to the decision to sell. For all we know he might have said "Sell that junk and split the money when I die". He might have been planning to sell it at the time of his death. Or, it could be each kid wanted it so bad they were fighting over it and the only solution was to sell it

Heck, my dad sold off his own Land Rover collection when he was live and kickin'. Just decided it was time for them to go. He had four and had been into them since 1969.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:44 AM   #70
flashed

The way I see it as long as they are selling they are still relevant , the hobby continues . There are still a lot of young gearheads out there that love these trucks and fixing up a beater into a cool driver .
Old 11-03-2019, 09:53 AM   #71
72c20customcamper

Like Tim said there are some crazy prices at Hershey and Carlisle. But many of the ones sold go overseas where one would be twice the price. Sold plenty of cars over the years at both . We sold 2 caddie convertibles a 61 the other a 62 to the same guy from Austria.
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 11:23 AM   #72
leddzepp

Oh the hobby isn’t going anywhere, it’s just changing and evolving as many have stated above.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:25 PM   #73
2 Stovebolts

To MY point.....A righteous 67 C10 fairly priced.....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-Chevro...9277%7Ciid%3A1

But the seller has to add his closing disclosure :Please, please,please - I can’t believe I even have to mention it.

But for repeatedrecent reasons here I go again :

Bidding on eBayis not a game, a joke or child play.

If you win thisauction I expect you to complete the transaction.

So please, beforeyou bid, check with your wife, girlfriend, bank, landlord, parole officer,parents

or whoever mayhave an effect on your purchasing decision.

Seems to me that despite all this free flowing cash with a hot & active interest in the hobby, this guy has been down the road of 'buyers remorse'

Not here to dispute the changing trends, desirability among survivors, restored, or retro rods...This is proof that 'toys' aren't an easy sell despite if the hobby is on the up or down swing........Its on my watch list.....
2 Stovebolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:04 PM   #74
davischevy

I think the hobby is solid. At C10's on the park, I noticed how many young people were there. All my kids and grandkids were there with their rigs.

The Goodguys shows draw a younger crowd too.

I sat by and watched my dad sell his near perfect 71. It wasn't in the cards for me to have it at the time. I would like to have it back now, but, oh well.
Attached Images

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote