The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-20-2012, 08:24 PM   #801
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Junkyard Jimmy Super Low Buck Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Jimmy4JP View Post
subscribing...just read this all the way through before work....wow

I will continue to use this for inspiration on my build...First new part...starter rebuild.....17.00 for the kit..9.00 in shipping....total spent so far....26.00

sound familiar?

thanks for keeping this thread going...its awesome!

JP
Thanks for following along and for the feedback. Good luck with yours.

I started the day with mounting up my freshly painted parts.

Now that thats out of the way I can get to the fun stuff.

I've had this idea in my head for at least a couple years. Even thought about doing it to my C-10, but got scared and backed off. This time I decided to go for it. I happen to have a 67 hood and and extra 72 hood to play with. They are too hard to sell, so why not experiment. What I did today was not that unusual, but this is only half the mod I have planned.

So far I have cut the skins off both hoods. Modified the front support of the 72 hood to shorten it about an inch in height and cut out some in the corners to clear the scallops of the 67 skin. I added a cross brace in the middle using a brace from yet another hood. I have the rear edge of the 67 hood skin hammered over to meet the rear flange of the 72 hood frame. I'll have to do some relief cuts and other work to improve the fit, but its getting there. Once I get the 67 skin to fit well enough, I'll be gluing it down to the 72 frame work and using countersunk rivits to hold it in place. After that comes stage 2.

Pics...

hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:27 PM   #802
RatRod68

What a read! I am loving this build!
D-Ranged Ford Ranger on steroids

Semper Fi
RatRod68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:18 PM   #803
Dale99

I like the idea on the hood. Ive always liked the more slopped look of the 67. Never knew why they were different and couldnt be swapped. Now I kinda see.
Dale99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:13 PM   #804
Maddoxdb

This build is turning out far better than I ever thought when ya started. Looking very nice!!!! My first 72 I bought had a 67 hood on it. All they did was shave some off the front and weld some sheetmetel back in to tie it back together. Whoever did the bodywork was terrible!!! But the hood mod actually looked pretty decent. I've always been partial to the 67-68 trucks. Wish I had some pics of the work done.... Here's the only pic I have of the truck
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Maddoxdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:59 PM   #805
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatRod68 View Post
What a read! I am loving this build!
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale99 View Post
I like the idea on the hood. Ive always liked the more slopped look of the 67. Never knew why they were different and couldnt be swapped. Now I kinda see.
The 67 style is about 1.5" longer. Unfortunately for me, the reproduction 67 hood has a different shape to it also. They put more crown in the middle. The braces in the middle going front to back actually have about 1/2" of a arc in it from end to end. The OEM braces are straight. I think this is actually messing up my fitment of the skin to the OEM frame work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddoxdb View Post
This build is turning out far better than I ever thought when ya started. Looking very nice!!!! My first 72 I bought had a 67 hood on it. All they did was shave some off the front and weld some sheetmetel back in to tie it back together. Whoever did the bodywork was terrible!!! But the hood mod actually looked pretty decent. I've always been partial to the 67-68 trucks. Wish I had some pics of the work done.... Here's the only pic I have of the truck
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah, this build did not go in the direction I originally intended. Probably a good thing. You see, my wife was all kinds of pissed when I brought the first one home from the junkyard. She didn't want to see it, hear about it, acknowledge it existed, etc. She has slowly come around. She has always loved my C-10 though. Anyway, this morning before she left for work she came into the garage and I was able to show off my progress. She actually said that now we have his and hers trucks. I seriously did a double take and asked "what are you talking about?" She said, "Well you can drive your truck to the shows and I'll drive this." Blew me away.

Maybe I'll regret having done the hood my way rather than just cutting off the front and filling it in. We'll see how it goes. If I can get this part to look good, the next part should be a piece of cake.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:28 PM   #806
NTR72GMC
2wd FTW!!!!

Love the hood idea! But if your not going to use the trim on your fenders you can just switch out the trim piece on the top of your grill with one from a 67-68 GMC grill and you can just bolt on a 67-68 hood without any cutting or welding on the hood.
Attached Images

NTR72GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:09 PM   #807
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTR72GMC View Post
Love the hood idea! But if your not going to use the trim on your fenders you can just switch out the trim piece on the top of your grill with one from a 67-68 GMC grill and you can just bolt on a 67-68 hood without any cutting or welding on the hood.
I knew that, and its another good way to do this. I planned on using the eyebrow trim though. Thanks for sharing though because I'm sure others would like to know.

I really could not have asked for better weather this week. Day before Thanksgiving and I worked in the garage with the doors open in a t-shirt. Supposed to cool off this weekend, but I'll take every day like this I can get.

As for the Jimmy, I have doors that latch now. Bonus!

And I worked on the hood some more. Here's the beginning of stage 2. The smooth look.

I made some relief cuts on the front sides, which helped it lay down better.

Upside down...

Lets see if it fits...

So this mod may be anti-climatic for some (many?), but its something I wanted to try and I can't recall seeing it done before. It will give it a smoother sleeker look and most people won't even notice the ridgeline is gone. I still have a long ways to go before I'm spraying paint on it. Its held together with self tapping screws right now. For those wondering why I didn't just cut the ridge out and fill it in, this was at the advice of a few different body professionals. They said the seams would show up in the sun when it gets hot. I figured if my edges were at the natural body lines I will eliminate most of that.

All this mod cost me was 2 hoods I couldn't sell (believe me I tried), about 6 cutoff wheels, $34 for the new sheet of steel, and a bunch of my time. Hopefully I don't have any major issues getting everything bonded/welded together and the finish body work goes well.

This toy is where my inspiration came from...
Old 11-21-2012, 08:43 PM   #808
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I haven't updated costs or my punch list since 9/8/12.

I was at $4309. Epoxy primer $65 I think. Sheetmetal $34. I don't think I've bought anything else since then. I did sell a fender piece ($20), and a section of a bedside ($60), Body lift pucks ($29) top hold down strips ($100). So that brought my total spent to $4199. Excellent!

Punch list (in no particular order, * for priority items):
*finish body work on the outside
*Finish roll bar install
*finish body work on fenders
*tranny o-rings and kickdown cable
*change fluid in both differentials
*install windshield
*finish and install gauge cluster
*make sure wire for gas gauge is hooked up to sender
*lights, lights and more lights
*tranny cooler lines
*seat belts (have them)
seat covers (got 'em, not installed)
Al's liner inside of tub
mark/drill holes for single wall top in bed rails
Fab front and rear bumpers
electric fan install (got it, ordered controller)
heater install
wiper washer pump
manual throttle
glove box (need to buy)
door panels, dash pad, visors, etc. (have them, need paint, cleaning, etc.)
stereo (have most of it)
paint, started (mayan gold metallic)

Last edited by hgs_notes; 11-22-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:08 PM   #809
NuBomb

Spent the day (lazy day here) reading all 33 pages of your build. Very impressive work and a great read. Now I want to take mine back apart and do it again. Not really. At least not yet.

North Georgia Group

"... And the first rule to being a man is you gotta spend your life doing crap you don't wanna do." Red Forman.
NuBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:05 PM   #810
NTR72GMC
2wd FTW!!!!

Hummmm??? Interested in how the hood turns out.
NTR72GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:14 PM   #811
wild one
Registered.........

Thumbs up Re: Junkyard Jimmy Super Low Buck Build Thread

WOW!!! I just finished reading ALL 33 pages, what an amazing transformation! Not only have you taken cast off pieces of other vehicles and turned it into something to be proud of, you've accomplished something far greater. You were able to do what most married men strive for but seldom achieve - you managed to gain not only your wife's but your entire families approval for the project AND desire to be seen in it! My hat is off to you sir, keep up the good work! Subscribed!

Nothing is fool proof to a talented fool!

Popcorn:
Pops at exactly 444 degreese
Expands to 44 times it's original size
Has a 4 year shelf life
wild one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:47 PM   #812
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuBomb View Post
Spent the day (lazy day here) reading all 33 pages of your build. Very impressive work and a great read. Now I want to take mine back apart and do it again. Not really. At least not yet.
Thanks. Don't do it. Just drive the snot out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTR72GMC View Post
Hummmm??? Interested in how the hood turns out.
Me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild one View Post
WOW!!! I just finished reading ALL 33 pages, what an amazing transformation! Not only have you taken cast off pieces of other vehicles and turned it into something to be proud of, you've accomplished something far greater. You were able to do what most married men strive for but seldom achieve - you managed to gain not only your wife's but your entire families approval for the project AND desire to be seen in it! My hat is off to you sir, keep up the good work! Subscribed!
She laughed when I read this to her. Thanks a lot.

Today started out slow. I was mostly working on cleaning up the garage, added some lighting, insulated the door to my attic pull down stairs, hung up more stuff, built a small shelf between the work benches to hold tools in cases so I could use the cabinet they were in for a bunch of cordless tools so I could quit tripping over them, etc, etc,...

New lights...

The front part of the garage was kinda dark and I needed to mount lights direct to the ceiling so the garage doors would not hit them. Kind of a pain because I had to take the lights apart to mount, then put them back together. Well worth the effort though. Much better lighting in the whole garage now.

Then the jimmy got some love. I'm not ready to finish the hood yet. Needed a break from it. So I started doing what needs to be done to get the dash back together. I found a better bezel for the gauge cluster, so I got that put together.

The steering column and top of the dash needed to be painted satin black. After what seemed like hours of taping, they got sprayed.

Looks much better with the tape removed.

During the morning I was digging through the parts boxes, attic, bed of the jimmy, where ever and found most of what I need to get the dash back together. But I might have to wait a few days so I can order some black vinyl paint for the dash pad, and a glove box. Probably won't get much time tomorrow because it's the wifes birthday. We'll be doing what ever she wants to do.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:08 PM   #813
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I did manage to get some more garage time today. Not a ton got done, but hey, progress is progress. I got my ignition switch, wiper switch, light switch and lighter in. The hardest part of this was just finding it all.

I started to weld the hood together also. I had planned on using the panel adhesive, but after seeing how much work it was going to be to get a good fit, drill all the holes for rivets, countersink them all, glue it and rivet it, I had second thoughts. So I welded the back middle, where I had cut out the ridge, back together, and left the screws in place there to hold the position. Then I welded the front middle down to hold the center line. I ran out of time but I did start welding one side.

The front half of each side is where the most problems with the fit are at. I may have to add another relief cut or 2, or extend ones I have now on the front corners, but I think it will be alright. Just going to take some time.

Oh yeah, bonus of the day. I sold a tailgate on ebay and the guy came to pick it up. He also needed a windshield frame for his blazer. I had the one I cut off the very first jimmy tub that started this whole project. So another $100 comes of the total. Now at $4099.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:37 PM   #814
Dale99

I know what you mean on finding everything. Been having that issue the past few days.
Dale99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:51 PM   #815
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale99 View Post
I know what you mean on finding everything. Been having that issue the past few days.
Still haven't found the switch knobs. I might have sold them all by mistake.

I just ordered some more paint supplies (just to be sure I got enough to finish it), and a carb rebuild kit, and dash pad paint, and heater (water) hoses. Still need to order the glove box and heater vent hoses.

Going to get the kick panels painted this week I hope. Then spray the liner on the front floor half (need to remember to get the tint). Maybe get the dash back together by next weekend. Need to keep rolling along on the hood. Get the windshield down from the attic to see if it's really worth keeping and using.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:41 PM   #816
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Snuck out to the garage for a few minutes to do more tack welds. Both sides of the hood are tacked in except for the front 5-6". I need to do more cutting and hammering there. Then I'll need to trim more off the front edge of the skin before I tack that down. So far so good though.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:51 PM   #817
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

It's been a long time since I checked in on this build. Holy cow you're doing a bang up job! (Pun intended) Keep up the great work. This Jimmy looked as bad as they get and you've gotten it to the point most people only dream of. Nice job sir!
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:10 PM   #818
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
It's been a long time since I checked in on this build. Holy cow you're doing a bang up job! (Pun intended) Keep up the great work. This Jimmy looked as bad as they get and you've gotten it to the point most people only dream of. Nice job sir!
Thanks! Keep checking in. I've been getting busy!

Wife is video chatting so I slunk back out to the garage. Just kept working my way around the front tacking the 67 hood skin on. Still need to do the rear, but might change directions on how I have that since I have the new sheet going over the top and flush with the rear.

Anyway, it fit up surprisingly well. Just lengthened a couple of the relief cuts, a few taps with a hammer, clamp, tack, clamp, tack, etc. I'll keep welding as time permits and should be able to get the top sheet on soon enough.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:01 AM   #819
RatRod68

looking real good buddy.

Semper Fi
Old 11-27-2012, 04:59 PM   #820
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

The hood will be sweet when it's done. But I foresee a lot of blocking in your future.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 11-28-2012, 12:38 AM   #821
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatRod68 View Post
looking real good buddy.
Thanks. I hope the wiring diagram I emailed you helps you out.

Quote:
The hood will be sweet when it's done. But I foresee a lot of blocking in your future.
Blocking?! Ick! I'll just spray it like it is.

Didn't work on it today, but picked up the glovebox and heater hoses from daburb for $37. And my order from summit came to $121 for a carb rebuild kit, black vinyl paint and other paint supplies. Total spent now up to $4257. There really shouldn't be much I have left to buy.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:21 PM   #822
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

I really did keep a good job keeping track of how much I dumped into my 72. But once I got to $8500 with out the powertrain being done, I just quit keeping track.
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 11-28-2012, 07:00 PM   #823
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
I really did keep a good job keeping track of how much I dumped into my 72. But once I got to $8500 with out the powertrain being done, I just quit keeping track.
Time for some progress there dude.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:55 AM   #824
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Woke up early so I figured I would weld some more. I got the relief cuts welded up and ground down. And the little holes from the self tapping screws along the sides also. I also added tack welds between each of the existing tacks on both sides. They are about an inch apart now and I'm wondering if that is enough. I don't think I should have to weld the whole thing solid. Opinions?

Old 11-29-2012, 10:35 AM   #825
RatRod68

I think it is really preference. I like mine to be welded solid, but i also flap wheel mine down until the weld is almost completely flush. I know it makes the metal very thin, but i usually add a skim coat of body filler (just enough so a magnet will still stick to the metal) to help with strength. I know i have seen many patch panels done the way you were talking about though

Semper Fi