The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 04:40 PM   #801
OrrieG

Re: What Did You Do With Your Truck Today ?

That's what I like to see, a great classic truck being used as a truck. My hat is off to you.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:29 PM   #802
OrrieG

Scored a motor for my drill press at an estate sale for $10. No cheep China poo, this one is from the 60's, made in USA and never used. The guy said his dad had it around as a spare. Perfect fit and runs like champ. I have some things I have been holding off fabbing until I got it running again. Now why can't I find those hub caps I want for that price???
Old 06-02-2012, 10:14 PM   #803
Rudoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmalone View Post
And worked on my carport paint job...
Can you tell me more about your "carport" paintjob? What kind of paint, color? And what size wheels do you have there and tires-make and size?
Thanks!
Old 06-02-2012, 10:41 PM   #804
NertiN

Install new tires!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-03-2012, 07:29 AM   #805
craig32

Actually it was a few days ago, but I got my truck inspected - good for another year!! I'll bet when those guys on the assembly line put in the windshield, they never dreamed it would one day have a '2013' sticker on it! I'm driving it to work tomorrow to pick up a shelving unit they're throwing out.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:17 PM   #806
mobileortho

Spent the last few evenings welding up the stake pockets & all of those annoying extra holes in the bed!

1950 3600
3600 re-do, shortening it up

If it's true what they say, "You learn from your mistakes,"
I'm a Genius in the making.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:29 PM   #807
B_Hix

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig32 View Post
I'll bet when those guys on the assembly line put in the windshield, they never dreamed it would one day have a '2013' sticker on it!
Ain't that so cool to think about!?! People didn't buy trucks for pleasure back in the day - they were for work. Easy to imagine them pulling stumps, hauling wood, etc. Makes you feel good to know that your preserving something that has such a long 'storied' history - even if most of it is unknown to us.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:17 PM   #808
OrrieG

Bought paint for the steering wheel. Should have researched the paint cost, could have gotten a finished one on Ebay for less. But I have other ideas for the interior to accent the wheel and I can use the epoxy primer on my bed rails.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:01 PM   #809
dewey777

Sold my daily driver yesterday and now driving the 59 until I find a suitable replacement daily driver. First time really hitting the streets since it passed inspection. There are some glitches! Forgot to put a jumper on my alternator from + post to the #2 terminal and boiled my battery! whoops, hopefully it's ok. Developed a leak in heater hose. Fixed both on my lunch break! Here is a before pic and a couple from a few weeks ago after I color matched spray bombed my body repairs
Attached Images

Old 06-07-2012, 10:19 PM   #810
Chevette

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Hix View Post
Ain't that so cool to think about!?! People didn't buy trucks for pleasure back in the day - they were for work. Easy to imagine them pulling stumps, hauling wood, etc. Makes you feel good to know that your preserving something that has such a long 'storied' history - even if most of it is unknown to us.
Yep, I love preserving something with such a storied history, but I don't think installing a modern Corvette suspension, 345/35/19 Michelin's and a 500 watt stereo with a sub woofer is the definition of "preserving". Haha. BTW how's the truck runnin'? Are you enjoying it?
Old 06-08-2012, 12:08 PM   #811
craig32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevette View Post
Yep, I love preserving something with such a storied history, but I don't think installing a modern Corvette suspension, 345/35/19 Michelin's and a 500 watt stereo with a sub woofer is the definition of "preserving". Haha. BTW how's the truck runnin'? Are you enjoying it?
Did you mean me? It's running fine, and I'm enjoying it plenty. When I got it, it had a blazer drive train and 4WD under it, and a tiny little S-10 column. I got a stock axle and put it in, along with a stock column and put the ingition back in the hole in the dash and the dimmer back on the floor. It had some really weak 'master cylinder' in it that I replaced with the right one. Now it's pretty close to the way it came off of the line, except for the bucket seats.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:58 PM   #812
OrrieG

Inventoried part in my bins, and tore apart the stock wiring harness to see what I need to, or can, salvage. That wire is really brittle, found lots or exposed wire, I do not know how it did not burn to the ground.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:11 PM   #813
Rude Dude

Re-assembled and installed new lower bearing and turn signal swtch assembly, and primed my Van Tilt Coulmn that I recently chopped. see my build, just waiting for no wind to paint it , see my build for pic's
Old 06-09-2012, 10:08 PM   #814
coralhead

painted the hood with sealer and going to paint it in the morning.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:18 AM   #815
mknittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey777 View Post
Sold my daily driver yesterday and now driving the 59 until I find a suitable replacement daily driver. First time really hitting the streets since it passed inspection. There are some glitches! Forgot to put a jumper on my alternator from + post to the #2 terminal and boiled my battery! whoops, hopefully it's ok. Developed a leak in heater hose. Fixed both on my lunch break! Here is a before pic and a couple from a few weeks ago after I color matched spray bombed my body repairs
I really feel for sorry for you, having to drive that every day.
Love the fleetsides!

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
Old 06-10-2012, 12:07 PM   #816
dcmalone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudoo View Post
Can you tell me more about your "carport" paintjob? What kind of paint, color? And what size wheels do you have there and tires-make and size?
Thanks!
I used Blitz Black (many pros and cons depending on the search you do and the forum you search on). A $9 Harbor Freight gun and a rather small compressor. This is a father and 13 year old son build so we are doing everything ourselves with what we have, which is making some really good times. The wheels are Wheel vintiques Chrome Smoothies 15x8's, and Coker 235/75/15's. The tires were close to the most expensive single item purchased so far other than the truck itself. We did find out that the engine block had cracks on both sides and was "repaired" using JB Weld by someone. We have since located another block and are gathering parts as we speak for an overhaul. Did I say good-times...The goal is to drive it to the Redneck Rumble in September. Lots to do!!!
Old 06-10-2012, 02:01 PM   #817
DMViergever

I used some money I got from scrapping to buy a sawz all and an angle grinder yesterday. Today I got to work. Cut off the S10 body mounts and ground them down as best I could, pulled my doors and am about to start working on the cab...hear those are a bit heavy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-10-2012, 10:22 PM   #818
OrrieG

For anyone that is thinking using the existing 53 (or older) harness is a good idea take a look. This is one example of what I found, all it needed to do was short to the firewall and bad things would have happened. I found similar problems on the front lighting harnes, rear harness and under the dash. In 80 when I added a fuse panel I checked all the wiring and decided it was OK, guess 30+ more years takes it toll.
Attached Images

Old 06-10-2012, 10:39 PM   #819
Rude Dude

Looks like the hot red 10 gauge wire to ignition, must have changed over from generator to alternator that put out more amps and heated the wire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
For anyone that is thinking using the existing 53 (or older) harness is a good idea take a look. This is one example of what I found, all it needed to do was short to the firewall and bad things would have happened. I found similar problems on the front lighting harnes, rear harness and under the dash. In 80 when I added a fuse panel I checked all the wiring and decided it was OK, guess 30+ more years takes it toll.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:05 PM   #820
OrrieG

Nope, I was running the stock generator until I took it apart. You are right it is the harness that goes down to the solenoid.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:41 PM   #821
Rude Dude

If you are going to replace only the wire put an inline fuse rated for the output of the generator so that fuse blows before the wire heats up. If it pop's (burns fuse) than generator or regulator is faulty causing wire to heat up due to increase current flow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
Nope, I was running the stock generator until I took it apart. You are right it is the harness that goes down to the solenoid.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:37 PM   #822
Rude Dude

Painted my Tilt Coulmn yesterday no wind and no runs! Also I have been asked why I welded the home made support at bottom, two reasons from the outside looks real nice, and inside carpet will go around bottom won't be seen. I found a two piece chrome thing that used for closet or sinks can't remember which at Home Depot that will fit at bottom of column still debating if I will use it but fits the coulmn perfectly!
Attached Images

Old 06-11-2012, 09:42 PM   #823
mknittle

looked at it. there was too much wind to weld.

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
Old 06-11-2012, 10:00 PM   #824
Rude Dude

I weld indoors and paint outside, I think I got the two mixed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mknittle View Post
looked at it. there was too much wind to weld.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:56 PM   #825
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rude Dude View Post
If you are going to replace only the wire put an inline fuse rated for the output of the generator so that fuse blows before the wire heats up. If it pop's (burns fuse) than generator or regulator is faulty causing wire to heat up due to increase current flow.
Thanks for the input, I am putting in an EZ wire set up, just looking to see if any of the original connectors are usable, but even about half of them are cracked.
Closed Thread