The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-01-2007, 11:50 PM   #76
Spoof

Re: this is not right

I'd rather pay $1000 ticket than give a lawyer $300. It must make you sad to think that old GMC made it all these years without getting pranged and you go and do it just like that. Try not to beat yourself up over it.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:21 AM   #77
special-K
Special Order

I`m thinking,now...What`s not right?Trying to grasp a little perspective here.I can tell you what I think isn`t right.But,this is through your eyes.Everything sounds right:You drive reckless and you get a ticket.You hit a pole your truck gets dented.You hire a lawyer it costs you money...Yup!All checks out.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 08:44 PM   #78
70' GMC
HERE.......Somewhere

should I keep the the GMC or just buy a nicer vehicle. it still drives like it used to before I hit the pole just dented and that metal that looks kinda like an arrow is pointing all over the place. If I get a new car or truck at least it will come with A/C and it will have a non faded paint job. but in the long run what would be cheaper a new car or truck or just keep the GMC and fix it as I go. The motor has been rebuilt new starter, voltage regulator, altenator.

Classics make it possible!
70' GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 08:51 PM   #79
71tahoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70' GMC View Post
should I keep the the GMC or just buy a nicer vehicle. it still drives like it used to before I hit the pole just dented and that metal that looks kinda like an arrow is pointing all over the place. If I get a new car or truck at least it will come with A/C and it will have a non faded paint job. but in the long run what would be cheaper a new car or truck or just keep the GMC and fix it as I go. The motor has been rebuilt new starter, voltage regulator, altenator.
That's a lot of loaded questions. Most here will say there's nothing nicer than a 67-72 GMC unless it is a Chevy
You're probably going to spend the same amount on a new car or truck that you would over the same number of years you fix up this one and this one will be cheaper to insure than a new one that's financed. liability vs. full coverage
71tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 08:54 PM   #80
70' GMC
HERE.......Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71tahoe View Post
That's a lot of loaded questions. Most here will say there's nothing nicer than a 67-72 GMC unless it is a Chevy
You're probably going to spend the same amount on a new car or truck that you would over the same number of years you fix up this one and this one will be cheaper to insure than a new one that's financed. liability vs. full coverage
so your telling me just fix it up and drive it instead of having a 300 to 500 dollar car or truck payment

Old 10-02-2007, 09:05 PM   #81
71tahoe

Quote:
so your telling me just fix it up and drive it instead of having a 300 to 500 dollar car or truck payment
Depends on how deep your pockets are and where you have to work on it. You could pay yourself half that ($150-$250) per month into a savings account for when the GMC needs some TLC and only pay about half what full coverage insurance costs. You may have to pay a little more for gas but saving $10000 in interest over 60 or more months would buy a LOT of gas. Even if you don't have a place to work on it, repairs will typically be less than the computerized cars.

If it's dependable now just keep it maintained and plan for replacing stuff.
71tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 09:11 PM   #82
70' GMC
HERE.......Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71tahoe View Post
Depends on how deep your pockets are and where you have to work on it. You could pay yourself half that ($150-$250) per month into a savings account for when the GMC needs some TLC and only pay about half what full coverage insurance costs. You may have to pay a little more for gas but saving $10000 in interest over 60 or more months would buy a LOT of gas. Even if you don't have a place to work on it, repairs will typically be less than the computerized cars.

If it's dependable now just keep it maintained and plan for replacing stuff.
my auto tech probably could fix the computerized cars but all he relys on is a computer mostly. He has an ASE certification but im kinda scared to let him toch my 70 gmc cause of all the students that would be around it it sounds easier just to keep my gmc than get anew one and if it tore up they would use a computer.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:16 AM   #83
special-K
Special Order

You won`t always have that tech around.Just find all the parts and fix that thing in one weekend.Try to find a parts truck or buy a front clip,used.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 10-03-2007, 08:47 PM   #84
70' GMC
HERE.......Somewhere

why does mechanics have to be ase certified?

Old 10-03-2007, 09:02 PM   #85
lukecp
Formerly yellow72custom

You don't need to spend $10,000 to buy a reliable vehicle. I paid $2550 for my Saturn about 3.5 years ago, and I've put 54,000 miles on it so far. The only non routine-maintenance repairs I've had to do have been a water pump and strut bearing. I have had to put new engine mounts on it, tires, and 1 engine sensor, but they are all items that commonly wear out on those cars. If you just want some reliable transportation, look for something like a Ford Focus, Saturn S-Series, ect. The resale value on Hondas and Toyotas are quite high, and I really wouldn't want to buy one used when you can get a decent used American car for 60% of the cost of an import with similar options/mileage/years.

I'm going against the grain of the board here, but stopping driving my truck and getting my car has been one of the smartest decisions made, especially financially. The car gets 40-ish mpg on the highway, costs about the same to insure as my truck, actually cost exactly what I paid for my truck, but I've had to spend a LOT less money working on it. Like my truck, I've been able to do all the maintenance on it myself, only taking it to the dealer to get the computer programmed for cruise control when I added it. Is an econobox as fun as a old truck? Heck no, but it makes a LOT more sense financially, and being able to go on a cross country road trip without having to really worry about your vehicle at all is pretty nice.
lukecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:56 AM   #86
special-K
Special Order

Alot of trucks sit on the sideline while cheaper on fuel,more modern,hiway friendly vehicles are driven daily.It`s tough to keep up with and treat a 35 y.o. truck with the care it deserves if you`re racking up 50-100 miles a day.

Tim

Old 10-04-2007, 09:56 PM   #87
70' GMC
HERE.......Somewhere

my aunt told me dont worry with the truck just save your money and buy you a new one. I have had the motor rebuilt for $1,412, then a new starter voltage regulator, alternator, new front tires and then a couple saturdays back it had to fight the concrete pole and lost. I wish I knew someone around whiteville nc that could get it fixed or restored a little bit

Old 10-04-2007, 10:18 PM   #88
70' GMC
HERE.......Somewhere

any help or pointers on keeping my 70 gmc or go and get a nicer vehicle like an early 2000 model or better

Old 10-05-2007, 06:55 AM   #89
special-K
Special Order

Fix that truck!Are you driving it,now?Just gather up a hood,inner/outter fender,grille,bumper/brackets,and fix it one weekend.Find a complete front clip or parts truck.
If you want an econobox to romp around in,go for it.But,don`t let a fender bender cause you to give up your truck.Just remember...buying a cheapo car may save you gas,but you`re gaining more insurance and maintainence/repairs,too.Don`t get spread too thin,keep it simple...Ask a relative.

Tim

Old 10-05-2007, 07:12 AM   #90
jorgensensc

Quote:
...when I honk the horn it sounds just like a bee
Could bee the horn Bearings. If I recall correctly they are the same as the muffler bearings.

-What would you attempt to achieve if you knew you could not fail?-

-I Refuse To Tiptoe Through Life, Only To Arrive Safely At Death's Door-

R.I.P. EAST SIDE LOW LIFE

Last edited by jorgensensc; 10-05-2007 at 07:12 AM.
jorgensensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 12:36 PM   #91
Blue71LWB

Quote:
instead of having a 300 to 500 dollar car or truck payment

If your able to swing 300-500 a month. Then you should be able to swing the money to go to the junk yard and find a new hood, fender and grill. One weekend of turning wrenches and presto!! .
Old 10-05-2007, 01:04 PM   #92
ksjh1316
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDROCK&ROLLER View Post
OK I'll help out. I have new after market fender for 68 chevy that will fit your truck. You can have it for FREE
Did you pick up the parts from this member it will get some of the damage gone. Also remember someone offering you a complete front clip for $100. With these cheap parts you can just unbolt your front end and replace them. Part off then part on kind of like advanced Lego's. No real need for the body shop till your ready to repaint the old girl.
ksjh1316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 01:32 PM   #93
DennyB
Led Sled! Discs R 4 ME!

Quote:
any help or pointers on keeping my 70 gmc or go and get a nicer vehicle like an early 2000 model or better
Are you able to turn a wrench yourself?

If not, sell it.
DennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 04:47 PM   #94
Zoomad75
K5Camper

You can look at this situation one of two ways. If you don't have the skills, nor want the skills to be able to fix it yourself, I agree with DennyB here get something newer. The other way to look at is as a learning experience. You'll learn how that truck goes together. You'll appreciate the time and effort needed to fix mental mistakes like that.

As a kid, nothing made me realize responsibility more than having to fix my junk for mistakes I made. Sure it can be fun to whip off a couple of doughnuts and drive like maniac, but you might want to scout out the lot to avoid poles and worse- Parked cars! I've had to replace a clutch in my Dad's malibu since I tried to drive it like Ronnie Sox (old drag racer for you youngins). Let me tell you rebuilt clutches last about 2 months with me side stepping the clutch at every stoplight/sign in town. Sure it was fun, but my 2 months of money I saved up for the summer went to Dad for the new clutch. AND he made me install it. It didn't take me long to figure out if I broke it, my parents were't going to bail me out. Dad might help me fix it, but as far as paying for parts, I was on my own.

What it boils down to is becoming responsible for your own actions. By the sounds of you at least paying for the lawyer to assist with a prior ticket you are at least going in the right direction. If it were me, I'd fix the sucker. I'd enjoy the time spent in the boneyard scrounging for all the bits and peices needed. By going to the boneyard you learn how to take it apart without some of the inital fear of working on your own rig. Get the parts you need and like others have said, set aside one weekend and start swapping parts. Get help if you need it. Bribe them with pizza and soda's. If you do get help don't let them take over. Have them tell you what to do if you don't know and do it. Nothing is a better way to learn than hands on. The experience will help. When you are able to fix things yourself you are less reliant on other people at repair shops, even if they know you and give you a "buddy" deal. What you can learn on fixing trucks/cars carries over to other things like home appliances, powersports ect. You can't get ripped off if you do it yourself.

You are young. If that truck is special to you for whatever reason, why not take the time to learn how to fix it? Does anybody here expect a frame off resto to fix it? No. Get some straight sheetmetal and get it back together. Throw down some rattle can primer and paint can wait until you got the time and money to do it right.

:stepping off the Dad soabox now: just some constructive help...
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 05:25 PM   #95
Jerry Jones
Happy Camper

well put zoomad75
Old 10-05-2007, 07:28 PM   #96
Zoomad75
K5Camper

I've had a similar conversation with my boy. He's going to learn the way I was taught. My Dad certainly has a method to his madness. It might explain why my first car was my Nova with a wheezy 307 and 2.73 gear. He knew I'd try to be ricky racer around town. I'm not saying I didn't pull my fair share of vehiclular hijinx, I did. But I never got away with it. It's kind of hard to hide a caved in quarter panel that came from slight merging incident getting onto the highway at 90 mph. The fact I didn't kill anyone was amazing. That and the fact that it was on the highway in full view of the stands at Bandimere Speedway in Denver (it was packed for the High School Drags), there were pleanty of witnesses that knew me, the car and my Dad. No tickets, as we were both in the wrong and didn't want to stick around for the CSP but I did pay for all the damage to the other vehicle.

I didn't end up putting a 350 into the Nova until my second year of college. My problem is, my boy has his Mom's throttle tendencies. To her it's an on/off switch. What ever he gets into might need a governer on it.
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 08:17 PM   #97
Thealien

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksjh1316 View Post
Did you pick up the parts from this member it will get some of the damage gone. Also remember someone offering you a complete front clip for $100. With these cheap parts you can just unbolt your front end and replace them. Part off then part on kind of like advanced Lego's. No real need for the body shop till your ready to repaint the old girl.
Did you contact the member who offered the free front clip? At least to thank for the offer?
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 09:59 PM   #98
70' GMC
HERE.......Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealien View Post
Did you contact the member who offered the free front clip? At least to thank for the offer?
no but i will need to check into it

Old 10-05-2007, 10:20 PM   #99
70' GMC
HERE.......Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomad75 View Post
You can look at this situation one of two ways. If you don't have the skills, nor want the skills to be able to fix it yourself, I agree with DennyB here get something newer. The other way to look at is as a learning experience. You'll learn how that truck goes together. You'll appreciate the time and effort needed to fix mental mistakes like that.

As a kid, nothing made me realize responsibility more than having to fix my junk for mistakes I made. Sure it can be fun to whip off a couple of doughnuts and drive like maniac, but you might want to scout out the lot to avoid poles and worse- Parked cars! I've had to replace a clutch in my Dad's malibu since I tried to drive it like Ronnie Sox (old drag racer for you youngins). Let me tell you rebuilt clutches last about 2 months with me side stepping the clutch at every stoplight/sign in town. Sure it was fun, but my 2 months of money I saved up for the summer went to Dad for the new clutch. AND he made me install it. It didn't take me long to figure out if I broke it, my parents were't going to bail me out. Dad might help me fix it, but as far as paying for parts, I was on my own.

What it boils down to is becoming responsible for your own actions. By the sounds of you at least paying for the lawyer to assist with a prior ticket you are at least going in the right direction. If it were me, I'd fix the sucker. I'd enjoy the time spent in the boneyard scrounging for all the bits and peices needed. By going to the boneyard you learn how to take it apart without some of the inital fear of working on your own rig. Get the parts you need and like others have said, set aside one weekend and start swapping parts. Get help if you need it. Bribe them with pizza and soda's. If you do get help don't let them take over. Have them tell you what to do if you don't know and do it. Nothing is a better way to learn than hands on. The experience will help. When you are able to fix things yourself you are less reliant on other people at repair shops, even if they know you and give you a "buddy" deal. What you can learn on fixing trucks/cars carries over to other things like home appliances, powersports ect. You can't get ripped off if you do it yourself.

You are young. If that truck is special to you for whatever reason, why not take the time to learn how to fix it? Does anybody here expect a frame off resto to fix it? No. Get some straight sheetmetal and get it back together. Throw down some rattle can primer and paint can wait until you got the time and money to do it right.

:stepping off the Dad soabox now: just some constructive help...

for my lawyer I spent 295 dollars just to get rid of the ticket my dad always told a hard head makes a soft ass well he was right I listened to those guys with 1992 and up through 2003 model z71's with a few gmc trucks and I did it just about everyday in front of my highschool I would lay a big fat streak of rubber but what I did not think about they had parents with lots of money while I work at a family dollar store making $6.50 an hour now when I leave the parking lot I dont spin the tires or nothing. About the 3rd day of school of my senior year I went into the parking lot and my friends were already there and I didnt know that a teacher parked in the parking lot and she seen me going in sideways and when I got out she gave me dirty look like the look you get when you know youve done something wrong. Well that stunt I pulled my aunt she pays my bills such as lights, phone, and other odds and ends so when she heard of this like 30 minutes later she called and talked to me on my cell phone and she told me to quit and some other stuff but the bad news is she works at a christian daycare and everybody out there knows exactly what truck I drive and when they see me doing something stupid my aunt is the first one they notify. the reason why I like that old truck is cause I was around 5 years old sanding off the paint and rust it was fun and we wore out at least 8 or more sanders it was just me and my dad and the guy my dad knew. then a few months went by and I started kindergarten my dad drove me there on my first day and I felt proud of that truck. then on April 10th 2006 my dad passed away

Old 10-06-2007, 01:12 AM   #100
DennyB
Led Sled! Discs R 4 ME!

I agree with Zoomad75. Very well said!

The key is, If you enjoy working on these old beast then they can be very rewarding. I get thumbs up every day with my daily driver. If you don't like to wrench then it can be hell as they will take much attention. I am working my way to having everything rebuilt on mine. The only newer machines I own are driven by my wife or kids. I like driving classics and strive too make them drive like new or better.

You are young so beware.....These classics can become additcting....but is that a bad thing?

If you have a real interest in old trucks put that newer car out of your mind.
Do lots of reading and understanding on this board because there is a wealth of information in this community, and go fetch the parts you need and have at it!

The people here will help you here when you need it.

Denny
DennyB is offline   Reply With Quote