The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: Do I change the rear axle gearing?
Yes 19 57.58%
No 4 12.12%
I don't know 2 6.06%
WTF were they thinking YES! 8 24.24%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-06-2008, 06:28 AM   #1
lghtng2
Account Suspended

Doug's Dream

... now MY REALITY! hahahaha. My name is Jon and I have recently acquired a 1972 Chevy C-10 Long Bed 4x4 Project. Bought it like it is, bed is primer and needs painted and rhino lined, has a 350 sbc bored 40 over, high rise intake, 650 double pump Holley carb, roller lifters, comp cam 302 duration 500 lift, coated headers, flowmaster mufflers (LOUD!), and all dressed up billet pulleys/ chrome parts, it is a 4 speed freshly rebuilt, 6inch lift, 36in Super Swamper, Warn Lock Hubs, 2004 Chevy seats Lazer Red paint(yes it is a Ford color but it looks b.a. on this truck), the cab is a 72 Chevy C-10 V-6 1/2 ton, the chassis is a 68 Chevy 3/4 ton, and the bed is from a truck in Arizona. Lol its a bastard child of 3 trucks but it's my baby now. The owners that had it before me bought it and built it to be a pulling truck at tractor pulls but never finished the project ran out of money and time. The truck overall has very little rust and the suspension was done by a specialty shop in Springfield, IL. BDS shocks with new leaf springs 6in lift and the bed is blocked slightly higher. The wiring on this truck is another story. It runs great and has working radio, lights and gauges on the other hand not so great. I don't want to be a prick but they really half assed it and there are shorts, grounds, and loose wires everywhere! Thank god I went to an Automotive Tech school so this will not be a problem; diagnosis rip all that **** out and start over! I'm going to buy a painless wiring kit and fuse block as well as buying all new Autometer gauges. I figured out that 2 5/8, 3 3/8-3/4 and 5inch gauges are what I'll need but to get them to fit in the stock bezel it requires a little cutting. Once I have completed this I can begin the fun stuff like painting the bed, lining it inside and bottom, line the chassis and bottom of cab, cut a hole and install the 4x4 linkage, install the front driveshaft, remove the stock gas tank and get a fuel cell hooked up under the bed and make it a bed fill, repair some rust areas, install a better radio, change the oil, install wiper blades, and finally put some miles on the engine and get it broke in. The ultimate goal of this project is to have an affordable mudder that is also road worthy and not a complete eye soar but not quite show queen but could be someday. And have it all done and ready to pull out of the garage first day of spring! By the way did I mention it was SETUP FOR PULLING!?!? This could be an issue with the bogs, its a 3:73 gear limited slip 14 bolt. I'm not an expert with this since I am new to bogging and have very little build experience. So if ANYONE has any thoughts, ideas, ANYTHING that could help please post and let me know! Pics of dash coming as soon as I can afford the gauges =p
Attached Images

Last edited by lghtng2; 12-07-2008 at 03:41 AM.
lghtng2 is offline   Reply With Quote