The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-08-2010, 04:19 PM   #126
3r!c84
Badass

Re: Truck Is Now Dropped!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muthstryker View Post
ahhh Hahaha! I lie, I havent been looking at all!
Need a BIg girl first before the truck hahaha
Posted via Mobile Device

drop a gear and disappear!

1/4:13:90
3r!c84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:10 PM   #127
evan

Very nice truck. I'm not sure if you still have the same setup but from this picture I'm just wondering if maybe you could have gotten away with 4" backspacing on the back wheels, or would that cause the tire to rub on the inside of the fender when the springs compress?

Old 12-08-2010, 09:58 PM   #128
muthstryker

It was pretty damn close, I had about a finger width between the tire and fender lip. I dont think you could pull it off with out rolling the lips. Even then it might be too close.
muthstryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:10 PM   #129
evan

Quote:
It was pretty damn close, I had about a finger width between the tire and fender lip. I dont think you could pull it off with out rolling the lips. Even then it might be too close.
That's exactly what I needed to know. Thanks.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:59 PM   #130
jojoman

so like on my truck the guy who i got from put the shackles and only left 2 leafs the big main one and the smallest would that be like a 6 inch drop but it bounces alot and should if i remove the bump stop in rear will it drop it more this is mine so you get an idea is a lil higher in front tho is a 87Name:  truck 002.jpg
Views: 936
Size:  53.4 KB

Name:  truck 005.jpg
Views: 925
Size:  88.9 KB

Last edited by jojoman; 12-09-2010 at 12:22 AM.
jojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:25 AM   #131
muthstryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoman View Post
so like on my truck the guy who i got from put the shackles and only left 2 leafs the big main one and the smallest would that be like a 6 inch drop but it bounces alot and should if i remove the bump stop in rear will it drop it more this is mine so you get an idea is a lil higher in front tho is a 87
It would only be a 6" drop with a flip kit, unless the guy took out all those leafs, and moved the hangers up. Is your axle resting on the bump stop? If not removing it wont lower the truck anymore, it will just give you more clearance. Without knowing your tire size, and having pics of everything under the truck its going to be hard to tell. Your truck is also going to be really bouncy due to you only having 2 leafs, seeing how your spring rate has changed. Hell mines bouncy with 3, but thats only when I jump up and down on it. You might need new shocks out back to stiffen it up.

But if you can get some pics of the hangers, shackles, where the axle bolts up to the leafs etc etc that would be alot of help. Also your tire size.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:26 AM   #132
muthstryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan View Post
That's exactly what I needed to know. Thanks.
No problem at all, if theres anything else just ask.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:44 PM   #133
jojoman

Quote:
It would only be a 6" drop with a flip kit, unless the guy took out all those leafs, and moved the hangers up. Is your axle resting on the bump stop? If not removing it wont lower the truck anymore, it will just give you more clearance. Without knowing your tire size, and having pics of everything under the truck its going to be hard to tell. Your truck is also going to be really bouncy due to you only having 2 leafs, seeing how your spring rate has changed. Hell mines bouncy with 3, but thats only when I jump up and down on it. You might need new shocks out back to stiffen it up.

But if you can get some pics of the hangers, shackles, where the axle bolts up to the leafs etc etc that would be alot of help. Also your tire size.
well i know it took me a lil while but i got the pic see if you can help me the hangers appear original only 2 leafs and shackles look like after market but dont know how much drop they are bump stop as you see is hitting my rear end so dont know if i should take off and if it will drop more
Attached Images

Old 12-15-2010, 10:05 PM   #134
muthstryker

Woah thats low! If I were you, I would get rid of that bump stop and mount all together, Either get shorter shocks or get some shock extenders. The truck will drop a little more it looks like, but the ride will be way better, even more so with the shorter shocks or shock extenders. It should be like night and day, your shocks look all the way collapsed
Old 12-15-2010, 10:33 PM   #135
jojoman

so do you think i should add the leafs back on there cuz the hangers are still there and if you see it has drop shackles and what drop shocks you suggest what about front since he cut the springs i got some 3 inch drop springs i dont know if i can put 2 inch drop spindles or would it be too low for 15's cuz i want 20 but for now have to use what i got
Old 12-15-2010, 10:37 PM   #136
mooseknuckles

you need to take out the bump stops, your riding on them thats prob why its bouncy. get a pair of front shocks and put them on the back they're shorter

Last edited by mooseknuckles; 12-15-2010 at 10:41 PM.
mooseknuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:47 PM   #137
muthstryker

Quote:
so do you think i should add the leafs back on there cuz the hangers are still there and if you see it has drop shackles and what drop shocks you suggest what about front since he cut the springs i got some 3 inch drop springs i dont know if i can put 2 inch drop spindles or would it be too low for 15's cuz i want 20 but for now have to use what i got
Honestly I would ditch the 3" drop springs, and go with some 2" drop springs and 3" drop spindles if I were you. The cut springs are actually better then the 3" drop springs if they were done right. I would add a leaf or 2 in the rear if I were you as well..

My favorite shocks are the Bell tech Street Performance shock, They are a little spendy (60$ ea) but the ride is amazing. My truck rode better after I dropped it and had the bigger wheels then it did when it was pretty much stock. Same shocks Ive recommended to all my friends that have dropped their trucks. If not you can check out the DJM toxic shocks. StylinTrucks.com is where I get all my stuff.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:52 PM   #138
jojoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckles View Post
you need to take out the bump stops, your riding on them thats prob why its bouncy.
i know i need to take the bump stops off but will it still bounce alot and hit my rear end
Old 12-15-2010, 10:56 PM   #139
mooseknuckles

Quote:
Honestly I would ditch the 3" drop springs, and go with some 2" drop springs and 3" drop spindles if I were you. The cut springs are actually better then the 3" drop springs if they were done right. I would add a leaf or 2 in the rear if I were you as well..

My favorite shocks are the Bell tech Street Performance shock, They are a little spendy (60$ ea) but the ride is amazing. My truck rode better after I dropped it and had the bigger wheels then it did when it was pretty much stock. Same shocks Ive recommended to all my friends that have dropped their trucks. If not you can check out the DJM toxic shocks. StylinTrucks.com is where I get all my stuff.
I was thinking of getting a set of those, but didn't know if there worth it...but then again I paid $40 bucks a piece for Monroe's....oh yeah, and cut springs are cheaper!

Last edited by mooseknuckles; 12-15-2010 at 10:56 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:00 PM   #140
flamingbig10
6.0 powered square

Quote:
i know i need to take the bump stops off but will it still bounce alot and hit my rear end
just pick up some stubbly bump stops most parts stores sell them I got mine from petboys
flamingbig10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:22 PM   #141
jojoman

also if i add a leaf or 2 it will raise my rear back up wouldn't it im trying to end up with a 6 or 7 drop in back and 4 or 5 in front so if i add leafs then i need flip kit but i dont want c notch my frame
Old 12-15-2010, 11:30 PM   #142
mooseknuckles

Quote:
also if i add a leaf or 2 it will raise my rear back up wouldn't it im trying to end up with a 6 or 7 drop in back and 4 or 5 in front so if i add leafs then i need flip kit but i dont want c notch my frame
It may raise it up some.....I flipped mine and never notched it, it would only hit with a load in the back.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:36 PM   #143
jojoman

so is better to say to put leafs back and flip it since it already has drop shackles and have any of ya try air shocks
Old 12-16-2010, 12:09 AM   #144
muthstryker

Moose I love them no complaints here.

JoJo, if you do a flip kit with your drop shackles you'll be around 7-8 inches of drop. However, if you add more springs and then do a flip kit you would beable to haul a little bit more weight. I would add more leafs and do a flip kit if I was you. There are a few people that are doing 7" drops in the rear with out a notch, you just have to chisel off the entire bumpstop mount from the frame.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:26 AM   #145
notrailerqueens

dude truck looks amazing!!!! d*mn you though! now im thinkin about going lower! i was originally gonna do a 4/6 but now you got me wanting to go lower! argh

85' chevy long box, built by a girl!

My Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=429956
notrailerqueens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:29 AM   #146
muthstryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by notrailerqueens View Post
dude truck looks amazing!!!! d*mn you though! now im thinkin about going lower! i was originally gonna do a 4/6 but now you got me wanting to go lower! argh
Lowers better, but, mine hasnt even been dropped a year and im already going to bag it. I need to get my wheels and brakes paid off and then I can start buying the porterbuilt stuff.. I need a second job....
Old 12-16-2010, 12:32 AM   #147
notrailerqueens

Quote:
Lowers better, but, mine hasnt even been dropped a year and im already going to bag it. I need to get my wheels and brakes paid off and then I can start buying the porterbuilt stuff.. I need a second job....
im starting to feel that way!
im gonna go static though. no bags

85' chevy long box, built by a girl!

My Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=429956
notrailerqueens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:35 AM   #148
muthstryker

My advice to you, drop it low the first time. That way you dont end up doing it twice. My friend wanted his truck dropped to close up the wheel gap on his truck. We ended up doing a 3/3 it sits perfect as is but he wanted to go lower the minute we stepped back and looked at it.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:00 PM   #149
jojoman

Quote:
Moose I love them no complaints here.

JoJo, if you do a flip kit with your drop shackles you'll be around 7-8 inches of drop. However, if you add more springs and then do a flip kit you would beable to haul a little bit more weight. I would add more leafs and do a flip kit if I was you. There are a few people that are doing 7" drops in the rear with out a notch, you just have to chisel off the entire bumpstop mount from the frame.
alright then yea thats what i think im end up doing is replace my leafs and do a flip kit on it so the air shocks work also what should i do to front i counted the spring coils and only have 6 when original ones have 8 i dont know how much drop that is but im thinking buying 2.5 drop spindles at least or buying 2 inch drop coils cutting a coil with 2.5 drop spindles what you think guys
Old 12-17-2010, 06:43 PM   #150
muthstryker

I have heard and read that if you cut 1 coil off the stock spring it will be a 2" drop. I have 2.5" spindles and 2" drop springs. I cut 1/2 coil off of that, And honestly wouldnt recommend cutting anymore then that off of it.