The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-17-2004, 07:02 PM   #1
Joey-D
City's Articulation Ramp

Angry Emissions is a joke!

I have taken my truck ten yes 10 times for emissions now. Failed everytime. First by a little, thats with no emmisions equipment. Second time lean it out, when from a .66 jet to a .62 jet and still failed. Then added some fuel additive and passed the hydocarbons with flying colors but not the carbon monoxide. Retunned the carb, leaning out the idle air mixture and retarding the timing. Added more heet (thats the name of the fuel additive, it is supposed to be alcohol and burn cleaner) and my number went through the roof. I then order cats, 2 3" cats installed them and passed the carbon monoxide idle and 2400 rpm test and passes the hydocarbons 2400 rpm test but failed the idle test. I thought I had it, add more heet, thats what got me to pass hydrocarbon last time. Went back and failed failed failed. I siphoned the tank, added clean gas, drove around a little bit, and went back. Failled real bad again. Drove around some more, re filled the tanks, failed again. I went home. This was saturday, I went back today, monday, and failed again but with completely different numbers. I had done nothing to the truck at all between sat and today, hell I parked it when I got back from emissions and got it back out today to go to emissions. Between those 48 hours, my hydrocarbons jumped 190 ppm at idle and my carbon monoxide jumped .58 % at idle. I did nothing different or anything. I am so fed up. I have to spend $450 to get a waiver and I don't have that kind of money! I just order 2 more cats. I am going to try and run 4 catalytic converters. Hopefully I will pass. By the way, I got 2 3" cats brand new shipped to my house for $85 on ebay. They are $37.00 a piece. That is one hell of a deal! Any ideas anyone?
Attached Images

19?? Zamboni, Really I own a Zamboni!
"If your gonna be stupid, then you better be tough."
Joey-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 07:35 PM   #2
TIMSPEED

Yeah, that "Heet" burned the cats, is my thoughts...shouldn't be THAT hard to get your shiz to pass. Hell, I got MY truck (without an EGR, and an ORIGINAL cat) to pass just fine on ALL the tests!
Old 05-17-2004, 07:49 PM   #3
apstguy
LED King

A healthy good running engine doesn't even need cats to pass the emissions test at all. The limits are high on these trucks. You have a problem with a cylinder not firing (what happened to me) or wayyyyyy to rich. Have you tried a tune up? Cap, rotor, wires, sparkplugs? You can melt the cats by running way to rich or way too lean.

1985 C10 305 w/ Bowtie OD TH700R4 3.42 LSD 202,000 miles
2006 Ford Focus ZX3 5-speed Stick
2016 Chevy Spark EV
Gone: 2002.5 VW GTI 24v VR6
Gone: 2008 VW R32
apstguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 08:43 PM   #4
stepside454

hell its a 3/4 ton, cant you put 16K plates on it & not worry about it ?.
disconnect the PCV from th valve cover, so it sucks clean air instead of crankcase vacuum. of course youll want to stick a breather in the hole , but it worked for a buddy of mine.
That looks like the station in Herky..is that were your at ?
I wish teys dump this stupid program anyway