The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-03-2004, 10:08 PM   #1
Lightspeed

Aren't previous owners great?

The headlight brackets on our trucks are supposed to have two screws and a spring to hold them in. Mine had one screw a piece of wire and a good chunk of some kind of tar. This is hillbilly engineering at its best. After dealing with that i hit myself in the mouth with the headlight because the plug tends to stick after half a decade of neglect. My mouth is currently swollen and the headlight is still with us(even after throwing it and letting out cuss words that would make a sailor blush)
Lightspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 10:35 PM   #2
skokie

I know your pain. I am not sure what the po on my truck was trying to achieve but let me put it this way. It looks like a chipmunk on crack went after my wiring under the dash. There is at least 1 roll of black tape on there from me.
skokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 11:05 PM   #3
Bill72BB
Thats the Hillbilly way

Did your truck come from Kalifornia ?
Member Old Farts Club
72 3/4ton Custom Camper BB402/400 trans Dynomax Cerama-coat headers , Hei distributor ,Edelbrock 1411 air,ps,pb,leafsprings ,98 chevy 60/40 seat,S10 shoulder belts
tilt,3.54 Dana 60 rear. 16" Eagle wheels with LT265/75 16 tires,Gaylord Lid,H4 headlights with 100W relay conversion.

" If I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself "
Marriage changes passion...suddenly you're in bed with a relative. A GUY'S PRAYER....

Lord, I pray for a nympho with huge boobs who owns a liquor store and likes to fish and hunt and has a Harley .Amen ,
Bill72BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 11:17 PM   #4
67ChevyC10Stepside

my underdash wiring was a rats nest too......i yanked all that shiste out and started from scratch.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:22 PM   #5
skokie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill72BB
Did your truck come from Kalifornia ?
Built in the fremont plant.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:23 PM   #6
skokie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyC10Stepside
my underdash wiring was a rats nest too......i yanked all that shiste out and started from scratch.

Yep I need to do that to.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:31 PM   #7
68 Stepside
huh?

Hell, the only part of my wiring that was any good is the rear light harness, which is still in the truck. When I went to pull my bulkhead connector from the back of the dash, a few wires broke, that had been hot and gotten brittle. There were wires going all over that served no function at all....such a mess. I replaced it with a harness from a former board member, and lo and behold, most of my dash functions are there again.

My underhood harness on the otherhand....that's still a mess. Wire nuts and splices all over..... Not to mention the 1/4" of bondo that went over the top of a lot of my rust free body panels.

Some people just have no sense....
Things we said today.

RIP El Jay
68 Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 11:47 PM   #8
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

We won't even talk about the Dope Smokin Old Man who owned my SWB GMC before me...we won't talk about the way hw wired things up...like the toggle dangling from the dash for the headlights, or the screw drivewr on the dash to start it with (crawl under and arc it) or the wires removed from the aftermarket amp guage that were twisted together, left bare and tucked neatly UNDER THE CARPET!!! I won't mention the little tiny guage speaker wire powering the coil. (you know, the clear wire on the back of your boom box from 1985 with the detachable speakers). Or how about when swapping a TH400 to a TH350....instead of moving the cross member, he just took a plate of steel and made an extention from the X-member to the tranny mount. How about the screws that were holding up the headliner...THROUGH THE ROOF OF THE CAB! I would bleed every time I washed and waxed that SOB. How about being too drunk to remember how to put the drum brake self adjuster parts back in...so he just leaves them out...on all 4 drums! I could keep on going....but we won't talk about it.

Some ppl shouldn't be able to buy tools.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 11:55 PM   #9
hotrodtroy

The P.O on mine used a different rod from the frame to the rearend. I guess it was too long cause it's been cut, laid side by side and rewelded. Damn hill billys.

"It's o.k. to dream about what you want to do, until you start doing what you are meant to do." Line from "The Rookie"
hotrodtroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 11:59 PM   #10
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodtroy
The P.O on mine used a different rod from the frame to the rearend. I guess it was too long cause it's been cut, laid side by side and rewelded. Damn hill billys.
Yeah, mine was broke in 1/2.
How the hell do you do that???
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 12:11 AM   #11
1969 GMC

Back in the day, when these trucks were used on farms and such, I think the farmers thought very highly of themselves as shadetree electricians

my wiring is bad like previously mentioned, but when I tried to figure out a lot of the stuff under the dash, it looks like the p/o just bought a giant spool of el cheapo 18 ga wire (red insulation) and did all the fixin with that. Then, he also cut off about 4' long sections of wire, folded them up, and masking taped them to the wires running off the dash (one of these is marked "extra"). So trying to route the wires is like trying to solve one of those jigsaw puzzles that is one solid color There was also about 12' of the wire wrapped around the bottom of the transfer case shifter. I guess they couldn't have enough of the stuff?
oh, and to date I have found about 4 toggle switches on the bottom lip if the dash and under the dash, all of which are wired with that dam red wire, but none of which do anything at all.

p/o also took the stock radio and speaker out of the truck and apparently tossed the radio for a hi quality AM/FM/8 track player that was so large, it prevented the stock speaker from going back under the dash. Oh, and it also wasn't the same size as the stock radio hole, so it flopped around like a bluegill on a dock. Then he put the speaker in the passenger side cab corner, about where the bottom of the rear window is (where the cab is only 1 layer of steel thick). to mount it, he used 3 drywall screws punched thru the back wall of the cab and the wire was tucked under the floormat.

Oh, and then there was the piece of 8x8 scrap lumber and the table leg with about 4 rusty nails protruding from it that he "hid" under the hood.

also i think a grease gun was never used ever on any of the undercarriage.
and i could go on and on...but i will stop now...
1969 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 01:15 AM   #12
67ChevyC10Stepside

my 67 had a rats nest under it and a toggle for the reverse lights and a cheap ass push button switch hanging in the air to start it with but i junked that cab...then i got my 72 cab.....it has leads from the fuse panel going to nowhere at all like 359720965792034750 wires powering one old POS radio that didnt even work......an old like 40 watt amp with 593750932750 more wires powering the old POS sterio even more and then a load of miscelaneous spliced together wires....apparently there is never too much wiring length....every wire on the front end has like 4 feet attached to the ends which makes them like 4 foot too long to go where they are supposed to. well up until tonight when i ripped all that sh!t out LOL...my dad has a truck with computer controlled tranny.....so the dumbass that owned it ripped the computer off.....and you wanna know the best part......put toggles on the dash to control the shifting LOL. you hop in it and turn on the toggles for the gears you want it to go in...BOOYA!
Old 09-04-2004, 03:21 AM   #13
Budweis
Geared for Collision

mine had 6 toggle switches under dash with wires that went in harness that have no idea what they do and where they go. i flipped them one at a time and none seemed to do anything. i got the harness out getting ready to redo it all.
1977 Corvette Coupe
Budweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 09:02 AM   #14
Blue Beard

Had one truck that had the fuel gauge connected to the brake light wire.....always had a full tank, but kept running out...go figure
1956 Chev Bel Air
1977 Blazer 2WD For Sale $3000.00
1978 Blazer 2WD For Sale $7000.00
1978 Silverado
2005 Monte Carlo
Blue Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 09:24 AM   #15
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

My 1970 chevelle;
Hammered a hole into the left side of the column to be able to use a screwdriver to start it.
"Cut" off the lines for the a/c.
No wires to any of the temp sensors or pressure sensors are even there.
3 inline fuel filters to "try" to catch all of the rust coming from the gas tank.
When he replaced the camshaft, instead of removing the air conditioner condensor, he just hammered a whole right through the middle. Also replaced the radiator with a 2 core one (I swear the thing is only 1 inch thick).
Rearend was held up with air shocks to prevent tires from rubbing.
Master cylinder had a pen cap (a bic pen cap!) stuck in the weep hole. (So that is how you fix that!?!?! I must try that next time my water pump starts leaking out of the weep hole!!!!!)
There were soda can tabs and pennies in the fuse box.
Doors would not open from the inside.

Older Blazer I used to have;
No back brakes. At all. They had changed out the rear axle and never got around to putting calipers or anything on. The brake lines had the hoses clamped over screws.
No turn signals.
When you hit the brakes the park lights would come on.
Automatic transmission was shifted with a bar through a hole in the floor bailing wired to the transmission.

Todd
toddtheodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 09:46 AM   #16
Robert1970C20rstbukt

I'm lucky, the only thing rigged up is a pushbutton for the starter. The ignition switch won't crank the engine so my Granddad wired that up. It's got a hot wire coming from the coil, to the switch, then down to the starter. All you do is turn the key to on and push that button. I'm gonna replace the ig. switch so it won't be there for long. Other than that all the factory wiring in the cab has never been modified.

1984 Chevrolet C30 welding truck 454/SM465
1977 GMC C15 pickup 350/TH350
1970 Chevrolet C20 pickup 350/TH400
1970 Chevrolet K20 Suburban 454/TH350
1969 GMC 8500 478M V6/5 spd winch truck
Robert1970C20rstbukt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 09:50 AM   #17
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Makes you wish the PO had kept the truck.At least until he burned himself up or crashed and killed himeself,thus lowering the shallow end of the gene pool and giving the rest of us more beach.
I got lucky.I am the third owner of my truck and the original owner only had it serviced by the dealership.The PO only knew how to wire stereos but was a bit tool challenged so he just mounted a bracket to the original seat bolt to mount the stereo thus saving the dash in it's stock configuration.I truly beleive he just did not know how to remove the radio delete plate.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 10:54 AM   #18
vtblazer

So glad to hear all that (not really) but I keep saying the biggest hurdle's are the previuos owners. Now I know I wasn't full of it. :p (ok, on that subject anyway)
I just try to remember that they are 'trucks' and were used (and abused) as trucks.

My best one was the spray in insulating/expanding foam thay had used to keep the body panels together! Just bondo'd right over it and painted!
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 11:04 AM   #19
pritch

My P/O wasn't satisfied with one speaker hole in each door, I guess he wanted that big sound that can only come from two speakers in each door.
I will admit that back in the day, my car key was the only key I owned and I was always losing it. So one day I stuck it in the ignition and broke it off and presto-I was key free. I just had to have a screwdriver to start my car. I miss those days.
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 08:26 PM   #20
botboy
Account Suspended

The PO of my truck was a real genius, I bought the truck out of an impound lot local to me but purchased over ebay...found some recently used drug paraphenalia in the glovebox when I cleaned it up and went over it after purchase....
botboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 09:40 PM   #21
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Mine had one screw a piece of wire and a good chunk of some kind of tar.
I see that tar stuff I used worked out really well
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 10:06 PM   #22
Orange70chevy

The guy that had mine painted over the fuse box so you don't know what fuse goes to what. Also when I turn on my right blinker my high beam indicator flashes and when the high beams are on you guessed it the right blinker lights up my gas and temp guage never worked.
Orange70chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 11:40 PM   #23
Truckhead

What's with the crappy wiring jobs in trucks from California? I bought my 70' from Ca and while the body is 98% rust free, everything else was worn out or missing and the wiring was a disaster.
Truckhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 04:24 AM   #24
OhioDan

The PO of my truck must have owned stock in 3-M weatherstrip adheasive. He'd patched a pinhole leak in the radiator with it. Glued on the passenger side window crank
handle. Glued the carpet to the floor. (Pulled most of the rust out with that one when I removed the old carpet.) Pulled the engine apart to check out the knocking, and found the head gaskets glued on with(you guessed it) more adheasive. Plugged all the smaller cooling holes in the 400 block someone had put in.(hmm, wonder why it ran hot and spun a bearing?) Painted the inside of the bed with some kind of non-skid paint. Thick enough to cover and fill all the holes. Won't even tell about the wiring nightmare. I could keep going, but if it could be screwed up, it was. But one good thing about it, "I HAD ME A TRUCK".

LIFE AIN'T EASY WHEN YER FAT AND GREASY!
GMC= Got More Class!
1970 GMC LWB, Fleetside, 350/4spd, Flowmaster "40's", 2002 GMC 16" Rallies, cowl hood,and added a bunch of options that weren't there when I started.
OhioDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 08:46 AM   #25
jay6891
Car Knocker

Orange70chevy, check your grounds to the instrument panel, sound like you have a bad one.
68 c-10,91 sportside bed,350 .030 over,4 bolt,10-1 comp,2.05 intake/1.94 exhaust,1.6 Harland Sharp roller rockers,edelbrock rpm cam and intake w/750 carb, 700r4, 3.73 gears,Jacabbs Electronic Igntion w/Accel HEI distributer and super coil. ZR-1 roll pan, filled tailights. Blazer tank. Hidden hitch. 2 1/2" Flowmaster 40's. Parts bought but not installed>> ford 9" posi with disc. CCP front and rear lowering kit 4/5. Cab corners,foor boards,rockers, cab braces, Phatom grill, Painless wiring kit.
jay6891 is offline   Reply With Quote