The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-15-2004, 04:03 PM   #1
78' Silverado
\/ My Loves \/

Emergency Rooms Suck!!!

Liz...I kno this is off-Topic...but please dont move it haha.

Well...I left my welding class early last night cuz of sever stomach problems. And I talekd to alot o ya saying I was sick. Well sick doesnt cover it lol. At around 10:30 I had to go to the emergency room. I could barely walk. I was about to throw up everywhere. And the docor said I looked like a ghost....said my skin was extremly pale. Sitting in the waiting room. I couldnt even hold my own head up I was so weak. And I decided I should lay down on the tile floor. So they finally called me name. Check my blood pressure.....very very very high. They got me a bad, and when I started to lay down my right hand started to go numb and hte start to cramp up like I was having a sezure. BY then...I was freaking out...scared. B/c I didnt kno wat was gonig on. NEver bee like this ever in my entire life. They asked me wat was wrong. I said...Exrteme Dizzyness..even while sitting down, Stomach problems, and it hurts to pee. They though it was a bad Kidney infection. So they took my bloood and A urnine sample. And hook me up to an IV. I think they gave me 3 huge bags of guclose. Its a lactate. Basicly gives me energy. I was there tilll about 5 AM. I ate crushed ice all night long. THe Doctor was very very very nice. Helped me calm down. But we still did kno wat was going on. Then they gve me soemthign for my stomah. By then I was talking...moving a lil. Making full sentence. 2 hours ago..i was to weak to talk. So they gave me more meds and not 2 mins later I was sleeping again. Well aftr everything is said and done. They took my IV off....and asked me if I was dizzy...I said yea a lil bit. So he said....lets stand up veryyyyy slow. I did...started walking...and al he sudden my eyes went black and I started walking back and I just passed out. I landed on my knee and its not doing to well. So I regained myself. And they put me back on the chair gave me another IV in my hand this time and gave me another bag of Gulcolse. By then I was again very very very sleeply. I jsut wanted to go home and sleep in my bad. They wheel chair me out and got me in the truck. Now pirior to that the doctor came ot me and by the Lab done with my Blood and Urine. I had a very very sever case of Dehydration, not to mention strees and lack of sleep. So I came home...Took me 10 mins ti get to the front door lol. But I just crashed. But everythings kool right now. Just on a Soup and Cracker Diet for a few days lol. Just wanted to let yalll in on my strange night last night haha.

383 Stroker in progress for the 78'!!!
78' Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 04:17 PM   #2
MylilBowTie
Right turn Clyde

Did they give you any potassium? Or check for a deficiency?
Old 09-15-2004, 05:10 PM   #3
78' Silverado
\/ My Loves \/

I dunno if htey did or not. Jsut took my Blood and said Iwas dehydrated. And Liz lol.I oly asked bc u usually move everything haha.

Old 09-15-2004, 05:43 PM   #4
MylilBowTie
Right turn Clyde

I would really find out about the potassium. If you are low on it or have a deficiency it will do the say thing you had.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:12 PM   #5
low 84

i was hospitalized for a few days several years ago for severe dehydration. all i know is it sucked and i have no idea how i got dehydrated. but i know exactly how you felt

'05 1500 Crew Cab

RIP
'84 swb 5/7 drop, solid cammed 408 w/ fully ported dart heads, th350 w/ 10 inch hughes, 12 bolt w/ 3.73 richmonds and a locker
'80 swb 4x4 in progress: 7" lift, 350 th350/np205, d44 and 1.5" ORD tie rod, 14BFF w/discs , armored diff covers, 40" MTR's
low 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 07:58 PM   #6
78' Silverado
\/ My Loves \/

yea haha..same thign huh. I hve no cleu watso ever how this happened! I though I drank lots of water but. I guess for as big as I am I didnt drink enough lo.

Old 09-15-2004, 11:45 PM   #7
shortymac83
hmm...

I had a couple of bouts with severe dehydration this summer (working in 90* heat with 60 12 year olds 15 hours a day will do that) and I was bedridden and drinking LOTS of water all day. DIdn't go to the dr, but I probably should have. There was one time where I just went to the g/f's house and crashed for 3 days (got a sick leave, since it's not a day camp I was missing a lot of work) and was nursed back to health. *sigh* It was really rather embarrassing, I haven't ever had a sick day in my life, then this happens. From then on, you won't find me without a water bottle in hand.

www.fcrperformance.com - wanna go...faster? talk to FCR.

shortymac83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 12:42 AM   #8
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

When I'm working outdoors in the heat, it's not unusual for me to drink 2 gallons of water in a day. You need to drink enough that you have to go pee every 2 hours. I have suffered from heat exhaustion and dehydration, and it ain't no fun.

Did the ER doc tell you to check with a regular doc in a few days? An electrolyte/ blood workup would not be a bad idea.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 08:52 AM   #9
Blue Beard

Went through dehydration last year to the point they put me on IV's all day.....

No fun at all...
1956 Chev Bel Air
1977 Blazer 2WD For Sale $3000.00
1978 Blazer 2WD For Sale $7000.00
1978 Silverado
2005 Monte Carlo
Blue Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 09:09 AM   #10
cdowns

you might also want to be tested for diabetes during your next checkup
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 11:14 AM   #11
Southpa

Drinking water is fine...up to a point. When you sweat you get rid of sodium and potassium, thats why your sweat tastes salty. You NEED those ions in your body for basic nerve function. You also discharge sodium and potassium when you pee. If you lose enough S & P, through sweating (and peeing) your body gets a signal, "hey, we're losing too much S & P!" so the kidneys react to hang onto these salts and stop making pee. So you keep on drinking water, which is diluting your internal S & P concentration even further and start bloating because your body is now retaining water. Yes, your body begins to swell, wrist watch, shoes, etc. feel tighter. You get light headed and dizzy, which is the first symptom of heatstroke. When I was painting in that 95 deg. heat this summer I was drinking Gatorade (loaded with S & P) by the gallon and felt perfectly fine. You can also eat anything salty, potato chips, pretzels, etc. to replenish the salt supply in your body. All those professional atheletes guzzling Gatorade can't be wrong.

You can wish in one hand and crap in the other.
See which one gets filled first.

Last edited by Southpa; 09-16-2004 at 11:19 AM.
Southpa is offline   Reply With Quote