The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-19-2004, 04:52 PM   #1
Broken_down?

monsoones truck flooding..

1st major rain of the season today and it came with a fury! The streets had like 2 foot water and my truck kept flooding out. How can I stop/prevent this from happening?
WHY DO THEY CALL THEM JUNKYARDS ANYWAY??? I LIKE TO THINK OF IT AS A TREASURE HUNTING MISSION
Broken_down? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 05:18 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

don't drive it in 2 feet of water?
You need to determine the actual reason it was stalling. I have driven through water that was over the bumper on my GMC last spring...it was coming in through the doors, my feet got wet...kinda ticked me off. But I forgot all about it when i tried to stop. ($ wheel drums filled with water don't stop very well)
After deep water fording, you NEED to inspect your fluids. Check your tranny, engine, and your diff. if you have an open air filter, check it too. Once the fan hits the water, it splashes it and it sprays everywhere. My air filter was the only thing that was ruined in my stupidity.
How was it running, how was it stalling...was it missing like a plug wire came off, or would it just stall like you turned off the ignition?
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 12:52 AM   #3
Broken_down?

she sputtered a secnd or two then died. Started again afetr about 30 secs of people beeping @ me..LOL! I may do that again for the hell of it to see how many people will beep..lol

Rich
WHY DO THEY CALL THEM JUNKYARDS ANYWAY??? I LIKE TO THINK OF IT AS A TREASURE HUNTING MISSION
Old 10-20-2004, 01:22 AM   #4
shortymac83
hmm...

sounds like you were getting water in it. Not enough to hydrolock, but enough to lean out the mixture a lot.

www.fcrperformance.com - wanna go...faster? talk to FCR.

shortymac83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 02:35 AM   #5
Russell
Professional Grade

If you plan on going through deep water like that, make sure that you have some sort of a snorkle style air cleaner on (stock style, not open air element) and have it aimed towards the back of the motor, this way it won't suck up water. Take her real easy going through the water, your truck isn't a power boat, lol I've had to go through some deep stuff before heading home from the city during a HUGE rainstorm we had, Most of the little cars were stalling out in the water (some ended up being sunk up to just under the roof) I was about 1/4 of the way up my grill, just idled her through and I was fine. I would have stopped to help pull some people out of the lake that used to be the 3 lane freeway, but there were already towtrucks on the scene (which is also the only reason why I decided to try going through that deep of water) Certainly cleans your block off too the water hits it and boils almost immediately, boils a lot of the oily stuff off, lol
Old 10-20-2004, 05:24 AM   #6
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

If you have to drive through deep water (as I'm sure a lot of the 4 wheelers on here will confirm) you want to be going at a speed that pushes a small bow wave in front of you, this stops the bulk of water entering the grille, it's not dead idle slow but not fast. If it's a short distance you can drape a plastic sack/cardboard etc in front of the grille to stop water getting in (trap it under the hood and around the front bumper if possible) or disconnect/remove the cooling fan if it's engine driven...but only for a short distance. Water may have entered the diff as when a diff full of hot oil hits cold water it contracts causing a vacuum, and will pull water in via the breather, that's why most off roaders lengthen their breathers to above water line. Spray some WD40 over the electrics/dizzy/plug leads before and after.

And always make sure you know how deep the water is before going in!

I have some experince in this as I used to off-road quite a lot in various vehicles and hopefully will again soon as i am currently searching for another 4x4, sadly not a US vehicle although the parent company is GM, I want an early 90's MK Isuzu Trooper LWB 2.8TD.

'67 C10 long fleet.
350/TH350, 4 bbl Carter, K&N, Dual exhaust, loads of stuff coming soon

2001 S10 Blazer Daily Driver, bone stock 4 door 4x4 with manual transmission

Last edited by Lippyp; 10-20-2004 at 05:26 AM.
Lippyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 05:34 AM   #7
A.P.
Black 72 Chevy

I like the rain, but I dislike the traffic it causes. People don't slow down. Its been raining for the last 3 days.
A.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 07:51 AM   #8
TugOwar

I'm mad, all you guys getting rain and it's like the Sahara down here!
TugOwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 09:25 AM   #9
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

It's been raining here for the last three months!

'67 C10 long fleet.
350/TH350, 4 bbl Carter, K&N, Dual exhaust, loads of stuff coming soon

2001 S10 Blazer Daily Driver, bone stock 4 door 4x4 with manual transmission
Lippyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 03:58 PM   #10
Broken_down?

[Quote]Certainly cleans your block off too the water hits it and boils almost immediately, boils a lot of the oily stuff off, lol[Quote/]

...LOL!
Old 10-20-2004, 04:20 PM   #11
72 3/4 ton

This is my first post on this board and had to throw in my $.02.
I had similar problems with a 68 Chevelle Malibu. I found that inside the distributor cap was getting wet. The water was spashing off of the firewall. I first used grease to help prevent most of the water then went HEI.
72 3/4 ton is offline   Reply With Quote