The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-05-2004, 06:47 PM   #1
AirMale

Question about lowered trucks and rear shocks

I think my shocks seized up in the back from the nasty angle they are on. Has anyone tried to mount some different shock mounts on the axle and maybe a set of mounts on a crossmember on top of the frame. I plan on adding some DJM hangers to my 4" drop leaf and 2" shackle combo. This should really hurt the shocks dampening ability. Any pics of your set-up?
AirMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 07:37 PM   #2
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

You're going to a static 8" drop? You will have to use shock externders for sure, along with the proper drop shocks. Stock length shocks won't come close to working. I use extenders with my 6" drop. They are just about a must if you want the shocks to work at all. Not only do they extend the shock length, but the biggest reason to use them is to correct the shock angle closer to normal.
Attached Images

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 08:00 PM   #3
TIMSPEED

Mike,
In looking at the picture, I realized, do you have your piston DOWN on your shock?? I always thought the pistons were supposed to be pointing up.
Old 11-05-2004, 08:21 PM   #4
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Those are gas charged shocks. It doesn't matter which way they are mounted....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 08:56 PM   #5
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

They are Edelbrock IAS shocks. This is the way they are supposed to be installed.
Old 11-06-2004, 12:01 AM   #6
texan1186
Under Major Construction

hey swervin did you have to make those extenders or does anybody sell them? Also, what shocks are you using up front?
Old 11-06-2004, 01:25 AM   #7
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

I bought the extenders at Performance Suspension Components

I have Edelbrock IAS shocks on the front also. I used stock length shocks all the way around since they don't make a IAS drop shock for our trucks. Or at least they didn't. I doubt they do know either. I had the IAS's before I went to 4/6 and they are too danged expensive to just not use. The front is only 1.5" out of wack over stock since I have 2.5" spindles and 1.5" coils. On the rear with the extenders, it works out to about 1.5" out of normal length. I'm not sure if this hurts anything with the IAS dampening, but it is what it is I guess.

Mike
Old 11-06-2004, 12:56 PM   #8
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirMale
I think my shocks seized up in the back from the nasty angle they are on. Has anyone tried to mount some different shock mounts on the axle and maybe a set of mounts on a crossmember on top of the frame. I plan on adding some DJM hangers to my 4" drop leaf and 2" shackle combo. This should really hurt the shocks dampening ability. Any pics of your set-up?
I have a flip kit w/2" dropped shackles on my 74 & even using shock extenders couldn't mount factory length shocks. I sifted through a shock catalog @ the local PepBoys & found the front shock for a 73-87 4WD truck was the correct length for me. The ends required me to knock out the steel inserts so that my correct rear shock bolts could still be utilized.

I determined the correct size for my application by putting the truck square on the ground & measuring the distance between the shock mount 'eye' holes (this measure is your 'ride height'). Now add 2.5"-3" for extension & compression for your fully extended/compressed lengths. Sort through a shock catalog looking for measurements that are similar & match the end 'eye' dimensions for the right shock & you've found your swap.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote