The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-09-2004, 01:26 PM   #1
Russell
Professional Grade

Odd problem

Hey guys! My truck has developed an interesting problem... Sometimes while I at driving down the road my fuel gauge will suddenly go to below empty, at which point my truck will suddenly start to idle super low. Its fine in the upper end, and I can't find any other electrical issues with the truck. Just that when I slow down, it'll idle at more like 450 RPM rather than the 600 or so I typically idle it at. Sometimes it'll slow down so much that it will stall. As soon as the fuel gauge goes back up to it's proper level the truck will suddenly idle exactly where it is suppost to. Should I suspect my distributer or is it another problem somewhere else in my electrical system?
Old 11-09-2004, 06:20 PM   #2
SanitysBane

mine does the same thing, its due to me haveing a 20 gallon tank, low on gas, and weight transfer sloshing all the gas toward teh back of the tank and the pump sucking air.
SanitysBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 07:03 PM   #3
Russell
Professional Grade

Ok, update here

I crawled underneith and found that where I spliced my fuel tank wire together, the tape had fallen off and grounded out.

Unfortunately, it is still doing the same thing. I've noticed that if it is in its "problem mode" it will backfire aggressively out the tailpipes with only the occasional puff of exhaust coming out, and it will idle very poorly. When it is running properly, it does not backfire out the tailpipes, and exhaust comes out steadily, it then idles properly. As I was sitting at the mailbox, it was idling perfectly, then sorta burped (died for a milisecond) then continued idling properly.

It also has less power than normal when it is in it's crappy mode, and runs extremely well when running good.

Sound like a dizzy issue? I certainly hope not, becuase I just replaced the coil, module, pickup coil and cap...
Old 11-09-2004, 08:21 PM   #4
hotrodhomi

is the carb loading up? what happens when you give it lots of gas?
hotrodhomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 08:50 PM   #5
Russell
Professional Grade

When you floor it, and it's in crappy mode, it stumbles, then either goes to WOT, or just chugs along at a reduced rate of acceleration to normal. I thought that maybe it was the alterntor giving me trouble, so I swapped my old one back on, and while that got rid of the slow power windows / pulsating lights, it didn't seem to fix it's problem...
Old 11-09-2004, 09:24 PM   #6
Brainchild
Still drivin' a Rat Rod

Sounds like a low spark to me.Are you sure you have full voltage to the dizzy all the time? And maybe the rotor is going bad,possibly the coil,or the little black button under the coil is freaky.I know you have replaced all of this,but new doesn't mean anything
Rusty Member #13872
Instead of saying.....you are a discomfort in the back of my front.....one should be able to say...... you are a pain in the *a$#*

71 GMC LWB
49 Chevy
85 Chevy G20

Check out my website
Brainchild is offline   Reply With Quote