The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-24-2005, 03:10 AM   #1
71RestoRod

Talking Editor’s letter in April’s Hot Rod Magazine – what a hoot!!!

I just got this month’s Hot Rod magazine. The Editor’s letter (David Frieburger, the Editor-in-Chief, calls this month’s letter a ‘Love Letter) is to his wife asking if he can buy a ’72 Suburban. This is really a hoot. There is even a picture of a really clean looking ’72 Burb. I think we should all email and flood him with more reasons to buy it!!! This will probably get moved because it’s too OT, but I thought everyone would get as much of a kick as I did. I like the part about asking her to get rid of the Volvo the best!!

------

Dear Karen,

I need to get another car. Well, it’s a truck, sort of—but more like a big station wagon, and you like wagons, right? It’s a ’72 Suburban for sale by a guy at work, and it’s only $1600. It’s green and white and everything, with this neat original plaid interior. What’s really funky is that it only has three doors, one on the driver side and two on the passenger side. People think that was a rare option, nut all the ’67-‘72s actually came that way. It’s also got the good barn doors in the back. It only needs a little suspension work, and the trans leaks a little bit, but I have a used Turbo 400 and a Gear Vendors Overdrive that would go right in it, so the mileage might no even be that bad. I could even drop in an engine I already have, and it would make a great tow vehicle. It’s just a little beat up around the edges, but it’s perfect that way because you don’t have to worry about it as much. It’ll appeal to your practical side.

You may wonder why I need another truck when we’ve already got five pickups, three of which don’t run, but the Sub isn’t really the same thing. It’s way cooler, and I don’t want to drive newer vehicles any more when I’m more comfortable in old cars that actually have some character and that I can fix myself. You always like it when I can fix things, plus it’s perfect for hauling things around in the rain, because stuff in the back won’t get wet like it would with a pickup, and you know how it always rains here in Los Angeles. I can even lock things up in the back for safety, too. The price of the Suburban is about the same as what we’d pay for a decent shell for a truck, anyway. And we could go camping. And I’d be so happy in it for trips to El Mirage in the summer. It wouldn’t matter that much if it got all dusty, and there’s plenty of room in the back to sleep. It would be perfect for if we got a dog. You want a doggie, right? And the Suburban is an automatic, so you could drive it too. It won’t really seem that much bigger than your Volvo once you get used to it. We could even get rid of your Volvo. Please, can’t we get rid of your Volvo?

I know we shouldn’t be spending money right now what with the mortgage and all, but I don’t think getting the house’s electric box fixed is really so urgent. It’s not like a ground strap is that important. Besides, if we got the Suburban, I could sell a few of the other cars that I don’t need, and we could stop paying for some of the storage units. I could really mean it this time, too. Just think, if I could finally get rid of the Mustang, killing that one payment alone would pay for the Suburban in five months, and that doesn’t even count the fact that the insurance would be much cheaper.

I know I already have 20 cars and no time to work on them, but I think we should get the Suburban anyway. I’ve got a reputation to protect, and guys would think I’d gone soft if I didn’t buy it, come up with several schemes about how to use it, let it sit untouched for five years, and then sell it at a loss. It’s just what I do. You understand. But it could be different this time. Besides, Todd already said he’s take it if I ever wanted to get rid of it. You can always count on Todd to be at the ready when I’m in a selling mood. And no, that isn’t why he got divorced. Well, maybe a little.

Can I have the Suburban, Sweetie?
Love, David.

Think this will work, guys? I could use some pointers here. Help a brother out.

David Freiburger email: hotrod@primedia.com

----
71RestoRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 03:16 AM   #2
71swb4x4

April huh? April fools?? That's what his wife will be saying!!
Old 02-24-2005, 03:24 AM   #3
cdowns

i just recently bought an issue of hot rod for the first time in many years, i think it was marchissue and i have to say i was really surprised that they seem to have changed thier format and are back to covering older(30's& 40's) stuff again. i quit reading hot rod years ago cause it was all stangs and cameros.
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 11:31 AM   #4
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Great letter, I feel for the guy! I recently started subscribing again to the mag - I must agree with cdowns, the coverage of older stuff is very cool.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 11:42 AM   #5
Canadian694x4
Born To Lose Club

Location: Calgary, Alberta/Oxenden, Ontario, Great White North
Haha...That's pretty cool. I feel for that guy too.
1972 GMC K2500 Custom LWB Fleetside - Proud Owner For 2 Yrs - 1 of 571 Built & Sold In Canada! - 350 V8/SM465/NP205, 4” Rough Country Lift, 33” Interco TSL Thornbirds
2007.5 GMC Sierra SLE 2500HD 4x4 - Proud Owner For 15 Yrs
- 6.6L V8 Duramax Diesel/Allison 1000, 2" Lift, 33" Mickey Thompson MTZ's.
2008 Yamaha Raptor 700r - Proud Owner For 13 Yrs - ITP Mud Lites.
2015 John Deere 1025R - Proud Owner For 6 Yrs - 24HP Diesel/H120/54D/260B/SB1154.
Canadian694x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 05:39 PM   #6
mr402

I read it last night and showed it to my wife. I think I could have written something very close. She got a good chuckle out of it.
mr402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 08:11 PM   #7
silvertonguedevil

That's pretty good!

My Chevy trucks, past and present:

1962 C10 SB Fleetside
1964 C10 LB Fleetside BBW
1966 C10 SB Fleetside
1966 C10 SB Fleetside BBW
1968 C10 SB Fleetside
1971 C10 LB Fleetside
1971 C10 SB Fleetside
1972 C10 SB Fleetside Cheyenne
1972 C10 SB Fleetside Cheyenne Super
1972 C10 LB Fleetside Cheyenne Super
1974 C20 Cheyenne
1979 K5 Blazer Cheyenne
1982 K10 SB Fleetside Custom Deluxe
1982 K10 SB Fleetside Scottsdale
1986 C10 SB Fleetside Silverado
2008 Silverado 1500 4x4
silvertonguedevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 09:42 AM   #8
72sub

That's great. I used a very similar line of reasoning (lying) on my wife to get my '72 Sub. I emailed him some pointers.
72sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 11:44 AM   #9
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Dave is the best automotive edditer of our times IMO.
He took car craft and saved it from a certian death, then he took hot rod and made i tless crappy then it was...then he saw his pet car craft slippin back into the crapper and he stepped in to save it again...he is workin at 2 mags now...both hot rod AND car craft...yet makes it all different while keeping his sence of humor.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 12:12 PM   #10
silvertonguedevil

That's amazing! I wasn't aware of that. I've always liked what he does too!

My Chevy trucks, past and present:

1962 C10 SB Fleetside
1964 C10 LB Fleetside BBW
1966 C10 SB Fleetside
1966 C10 SB Fleetside BBW
1968 C10 SB Fleetside
1971 C10 LB Fleetside
1971 C10 SB Fleetside
1972 C10 SB Fleetside Cheyenne
1972 C10 SB Fleetside Cheyenne Super
1972 C10 LB Fleetside Cheyenne Super
1974 C20 Cheyenne
1979 K5 Blazer Cheyenne
1982 K10 SB Fleetside Custom Deluxe
1982 K10 SB Fleetside Scottsdale
1986 C10 SB Fleetside Silverado
2008 Silverado 1500 4x4
silvertonguedevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 12:49 PM   #11
weasel29gm
SLOW BUT SURE,BUT CLOSER

I agree With Andy, I like the new format at Hot Rod and the low budget stuff Car Craft does. I took a 2 yr sub. with both.
69 C-10, OWNED 35YRS... 350 over 30, 350 Turbo, 3:73 Posi P/S, P/B Black with red and black int. ''LOVE THESE OLD ''TRUCKS.......
weasel29gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 01:01 PM   #12
dtlilly
Account Suspended

I'm sending him an e-mail with this thread in it. It would be cool to have him as a board member, and may bring the extra advertising needed to put this board over the top! Just think, we could have the most knowledgeable old vehicle guru, giving us advice on our projects. The extra new members donating to the best truck board on the net will help Josh keep us on the cutting edge too! Everyone needs to e-mail this guy and tell him how important this web site is.

Admin... maybe this thread should be a sticky?
dtlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 01:57 PM   #13
Scrubby
Check out GMTrucks.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71RestoRod
I know I already have 20 cars and no time to work on them, but I think we should get the Suburban anyway. I’ve got a reputation to protect, and guys would think I’d gone soft if I didn’t buy it, come up with several schemes about how to use it, let it sit untouched for five years, and then sell it at a loss. It’s just what I do.
This is the best part! "It's just what I do." ha ha!
Scrubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 02:07 PM   #14
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I am almost certian that dave has been here. At one point or another just about everyone at car craft had one of our trucks (Matt King had a sweet short/step) and Dave is always talking down message boards...and in reality, we do the exact same thing he was complaining about.
You have to remember, in Dave's eyes, brand loyalty sucks. (His exact words) He finds the same thing over and over to be totally booring. Notice the decreasing number of first gen camaros when ever he takes over a mag. He likes the odd ball stuff, AMC, buick, olds, pontiac, I think (I may be wrong on this) he is responsible for the bad seed chevette....a caddy 500 in a tiny little chevette. He is very opiniated on things...which we all are...but his opinion is a little of everything....not a lot of anything.
I still say he kicks ass. I honestly think he nad I would get along...I actually considered trying to work for him, but I don't have the education for it. However, he nad I have the same sence of humor, same likes and dislikes (for the most parts) automotivly...he just seems like a down to earth, kick ass guy who doesn't car what anyone says about him. (Anyone remember the whole sandal wearing hippie thing in 99 or 2000?)
I actually quote him quite frequently on here. No one has noticed...or at least, no one has mentioned noticing.
I actually felt honored when he responded to an e-mail I sent him back in 99. He always says he can't respond to letters...but he took a moment to answer mine. (I feel special now...i know...I'm nuckin futs) I actually printed it and saved it.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 02:29 PM   #15
dtlilly
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man
...and in reality, we do the exact same thing he was complaining about.
You have to remember, in Dave's eyes, brand loyalty sucks. (His exact words) He finds the same thing over and over to be totally booring....
Many of us here also think the same way. Just look at the diversity on here just in one type of truck. Some like to be 100% original, some like to drop in a TPI 350 and slam the frame on the ground, while some like to do a cool resto-mod. I hate to think we are brand specific. Many members have other vehicles and interests other than Chevy trucks (just look at most signitures), I think we have every catagory and year produced represented here. I think Dave must maintain a general cartruck fanatics breed, to maintain subscription rates, that is why I think our homogenious breed of old vehicle loving fans should welcome the chance to court a man of his stature.
Old 02-25-2005, 05:00 PM   #16
No3Fan4Ever
Running on empty

It's either CarCraft or HotRod that is building a retro front engine top fuel dragster and they bought 67 3/4 ton chev truck off ebay from some where in michigan; they are using it for a period correct tow vehicle and basically all they had to do was paint it, mechanically it was in good shape;
they had a nice right up on it a couple of issues back

We have two rules here at the Rock.
Rule #1: No writing on the walls.
Rule#2: Obey all rules

70 GMC Sierra Grande "Custom Camper" Longhorn 402 Big Block TH400 PS PB factory AC Posi;
94 Bronco XLT 302, auto;worn out daily driver

No3Fan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 11:03 AM   #17
dtlilly
Account Suspended

TTT for the weekend crew!
Old 02-26-2005, 11:22 AM   #18
dave3156

I like how he said in his letter that "honey, it only costs $1600" We have all used the same technique with our wives. I just convinced mine that I really need a big block engine. I told her I can get one that only costs $350. Of course I left out the part about the tear down, machine shop work, new engine parts, gaskets, new carb, chrome parts and so on. In their own way, they really do wnat us to be happy, so if we really want it, and we can make it sound simple and not too expensive, they usually give in. Next time I'm at the magazine stand I will have to pick up a copy of Hotrod. I quit reading it when the rice burner high performance craze started.
dave3156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 12:30 PM   #19
67shortie
Green club

He posts over on www.teamchevelle.com frequently, I should copy and paste this over there and see if he responds

Son you are going to drive me to drinkin if you don't stop drivin that hot rod lincoln
67shortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 08:52 AM   #20
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man
I actually quote him quite frequently on here. No one has noticed...or at least, no one has mentioned noticing.
I notice. I've read pretty much everything Dave has written in magazines.

By the way, brand loyalty is for close minded people.
No one has a diesel truck that pulls like a Cummins does, so I have three Dodges. They earn their keep pulling trailers.

My 5 liter Mustang coupe will outrun pretty much anything you'll find with a license plate around here. It is no where near stock.

My Volkswagen is a stroker big bore engine with a turbo off a 2.2 Dodge. It's currently apart for repairs (very typical of this car).

If I stuck to strictly GM stuff, I'd quit messing with these old vehicles by now. It would be too boring.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:11 AM   #21
4x4Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter
...My Volkswagen is a stroker big bore engine...It's currently apart for repairs (very typical of this car)....
That strikes me as funny for some reason.