The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-06-2005, 09:11 PM   #1
TruckinDaddy
What's that funky smell?

What would you do first

Hey guys, I am new to the board and new to Chevy trucks, too. I just got my grandpa's 1968 longbed, stepside. It has a V8 but few other options since it was a farm truck. It only has 45K original miles, but it is in rough shape. It's been parked at least 5, maybe 12, years and it was not prepped for storage.

The engine isn't seized, I can tun it by hand, but I am not going to try and crank it for a while. I am trying to figure out what it might need before I ever try to crank it. I don't want to miss something obvious and do any more damage.

Ideas or comments? Or anyone besides my mother-in-law want to re-assure me that I am in over my head, already?

68 C10 Long Step (Pretending to be a Long Fleetside) Grandpa's Farm Truck

3 on the tree, 307, No power brakes or steering
Factory Options - HD rear spring and Ammeter/Oil Gauges

My truck blog
My Car Domain page
TruckinDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 09:26 PM   #2
4x4Poet

Leaving a gas engine sit for years usually doesn't hurt them. Maybe a little surface rust that you can't do anything about anyway without rebuilding. Clean out the air cleaner housing, change fuel filters, change the oil & filter, check the spark plugs (maybe install new since they're cheap), squirt just a little penetrating oil in each cylinder, add two bottles of Heet and some new gas to the tank, turn the engine over without allowing to start to spread the penetrating oil up and down the cylinders, and then start 'er up.

Edit: After changing the oil, it would be great to pull the dizzy and prime the engine like before starting a rebuilt engine. This would get oil to the cam, lifters, all bearings, etc.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:27 PM   #3
71meangreenc10
Its a Truck Thing......

What I can say is, If your not a skilled wrench turner then I would leave it alone, youll be way over your head,

Now if you know whats going on then, heres a sample of what youll need to do,

Complete tune up, pull the valve covers and check for sludge blocking return galleries, service the following, radiator (probably full of sludge), cooling system, fuel system including the tank, brake system to include checking all the lines for blocks, drain and refill the trans, if its an automatic you may have more issues than it may appear, drain and refill the rear axle fluid, hopefully the axle bearings havent rusted or pitted, Setting for that long and according to the environment you need to expect for the worse case....Dont forget to prime the engine oil pump before you start it, probably wouldnt hurt to drop a few drops of oil in the cylinders either......

Good Luck

Smitty
72 Chevy Blazer 4X4, Sloppy Jo, Mountain Climber. Wife says no more trucks. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=707378
72 GMC 1 Ton Motor Home, wife said no more trucks until she saw this one. Gen 3 6.0/4L80E 4.10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=761110
68 GMC Suburban was 3/4 ton, now 1/2.Wife shook her head
71 C30 Wrecker
71 C20 Scott-Bilt As weird as it gets..BB Cheyenne AC Truck
68 GMC Long Stepside. They keep following me home
71 C20 Longhorn/Ole Yellor
69 C30 Former Motor Home, Flat Bed time
71meangreenc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 09:30 PM   #4
screamin_c102
Account Suspended

Rebuild the carb, replace the filter and the rubber lines, replace the plugs and do a full tune up, drain the fluids, refill, prime the oil pump until oil starts to flow into your valve cover, I would run it from a gas can first and probably clean the tank or replace it. After you get her runnin, make sure she can roll and stop. I would pull the drums and at least scuff the shoes and drums with sandpaper. repack the bearings and make sure all the brake components do what they are supposed to when they are supposed to.

Just my two cents.........Welcome to the board
screamin_c102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 09:35 PM   #5
screamin_c102
Account Suspended

Damn guys, we were all thinkin and typin the same thing at the same time, cooool
screamin_c102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 10:02 PM   #6
Gary Lee
fixer of 72 GMC LWB

Talking been sitting?

I would recomend this, but I have usually skipped half the steps , but haven't cranked anything that sat more than 3 yrs except an old ferguson tractor...but why has it sat for so long? Was it do to lack of use or was it parked to be later fixed?If due to lack of use I'd go for it...

1.) drain the oil and put new oil and filter in how does the oil look? Take an oil can and squirt some oil in the plug holes... not too much but enough to help lube the dry rings...(its only got 45k)

2.) lets see, been sitting and gunking up... so fuel is varnished water and etc... carb will need a rebuild, but I would proably start with just cleaning the fuel filter out good... adding 5 gal of Good gas, check all the other fluids...

3.) spraying wd-40 under the dist cap after running some fine sandpaper between the points... put in new plugs, get a good battery and a good set of jumper cables... leave the no 1 plug out/off and check for spark while bumping it over a few times..

4.) if spark is there, it should be blue then you only need air , fuel, and compression (not to mention the spark at the proper times... ) If so in goes the plug... if not I am not going to even try with points... except check voltage to coil...

5.) I'd turn it over for 15-30 sec, if it starts turn it off if it doesn't wait a few mintues... let the oil do its thing... (I know here is where I should prelube the engine...) after a beer break I'd go back at it and trying to get it to run... If it doesn't sound like its trying to start, then I'd look down the carb work the throttle... is it getting gas? Is it leaking all over the place? If its acting like it wants to start but can't or wont... I'd use a small judicious amout of starting fluid (a lil is good, a lot is an accident waiting to happen especially on an engine that hasn't had oil running through it in a while, besides I have heard its dangerous....) if its getting fuel it is more than likely electrical...

If you don't get it running at this point, rebuild the carb... if it runs I'd probably due this soon enuff... If it will run, I'd probably replace the rotor, cap, wires, air filter element.. buy the best gas I could, put in a can of fuel system cleaner... after a couple shakedown runs... put in a sludge cleaner and replace the oil and filter... and address all the other problems... first will be the brakes!!! Then all the hoses, tires, etc..

Good luck,

I am sure others could probably do better, but this should get you going... I've done my fair share, but I am sure there are many much more proficient than I am on here....
Gary Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 10:04 PM   #7
TruckinDaddy
What's that funky smell?

MAn, you guys ARE quick!

Great comments, keep 'em coming! Hey, 71meangreenc10. I am not a skilled wrench turner, for sure. This truck is going to be my starting point, though!

I have lots of learning to do, glad my buddy sent me over.

My truck blog
My Car Domain page
Old 03-06-2005, 10:06 PM   #8
TruckinDaddy
What's that funky smell?

It was parked when my grandpa died 12 years ago. Only one cousin ever drove it after that. Everyone else hated the 3 on the tree. Plus, they all had nice shiny trucks to play with.

My truck blog
My Car Domain page
Old 03-06-2005, 10:24 PM   #9
71meangreenc10
Its a Truck Thing......

Mike,
You picked a good one to start with, these trucks are simple, just take your time and cover all the bases.......

Smitty
72 Chevy Blazer 4X4, Sloppy Jo, Mountain Climber. Wife says no more trucks. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=707378
72 GMC 1 Ton Motor Home, wife said no more trucks until she saw this one. Gen 3 6.0/4L80E 4.10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=761110
68 GMC Suburban was 3/4 ton, now 1/2.Wife shook her head
71 C30 Wrecker
71 C20 Scott-Bilt As weird as it gets..BB Cheyenne AC Truck
68 GMC Long Stepside. They keep following me home
71 C20 Longhorn/Ole Yellor
69 C30 Former Motor Home, Flat Bed time
71meangreenc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 10:36 PM   #10
TruckinDaddy
What's that funky smell?

I mainly want it because it was the truck my Papa and I cruised chicks (& cows & catfish) in, but also because I am looking to learn and I don't think it will ever get any simplet than this truck. Except for heavy duty rear spring and ammeter oil gauge, this old truck has no options. No radio, no AC, no power nothin!

Who needs AC? the floor has a few "vent holes" in it!

My truck blog
My Car Domain page
Old 03-06-2005, 10:37 PM   #11
krue
Designated A-hole!

It's definitely an easy vehicle to learn to turn wrenches on. Parts are cheap and can be found everywhere. Nice start.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 11:10 PM   #12
Sonny

The sentemental value make it priceless...
Sonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 11:18 PM   #13
Gary Lee
fixer of 72 GMC LWB

a word of advice... don't ever get rid of that truck!!! my dad used to have a 65 that I have fond memories of, but he sold it about a year before he died and replaced it with a 70's crewcab dodge... we almost had to pay someone to take that dodge away... man i wish I had that 65 tho...
Gary Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 11:27 PM   #14
rmrtndl
Hey ya'll, Watch this!

Hey Mike,

I see you made it back from Burleson. Welcome aboard and good luck with the truck. When is it coming home?

Rick

72 GMC SWB Fleetside
25 Chevrolet Superior Series Truck
95 Mazda Miata
06 Dodge Charger RT

http://ram92.ods.org/blog.html
rmrtndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 11:37 PM   #15
TruckinDaddy
What's that funky smell?

I almost missed this one. I was about to ask my grandma for it, when she died last winter. When I asked my mom about the truck, her brother was taking it. But he decided to just get a new truck and not hassle with this one.

My truck blog
My Car Domain page
Old 03-06-2005, 11:40 PM   #16
TruckinDaddy
What's that funky smell?

Hey Rick!

Trying to figure the best/cheapest way to get it here. Heard U Haul might not let me load a truck on their trailers...

I might go get the front tires this week. I need new/other/cheap rubber on them so I can just pull it home with all four on the ground.

My truck blog
My Car Domain page
Old 03-06-2005, 11:42 PM   #17
clay68c10

Nice to see a long stepside!! My first 68 was a long step. I never did see many others. Good luck with it!!
05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. 3” lift & 6-speed
02 E320 the insurance total “free car”
13 Tahoe LTZ
clay68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 11:44 PM   #18
TruckinDaddy
What's that funky smell?

And you would not believe how many 67-72 Chevy's(& 1 3/4 o 1 ton GMC Flatbed) I spotted in Burleson and on the way up and down I-35!

My truck blog
My Car Domain page
Old 03-06-2005, 11:49 PM   #19
TruckinDaddy
What's that funky smell?

Hey clay, you got any pics of that 68 to share?

I am trying to find some online and having no luck. Trying to see how some in better shape look. The steel bed on this one is shot. So I may be getting into some trouble later, when I need sheet metal and body work, but I'll drive it this way, for a while.

My truck blog
My Car Domain page
Old 03-07-2005, 12:21 AM   #20
clay68c10

I have some around here, but my scanner took a dump.
I had the sidemount spare and I painted mine metallic burgundy (actually a '91 Geo color). It was the only long step I ever saw painted; there were a few others in beater ranch truck mode in WY.
I bought mine at an auction north of Cheyenne in '89. I paid too much ($500) and loved it. Wore out 292/4 speed, mexican horse blanket seat cover, no rockers, no cab corners, rotted bed..... Had the 292, a 307, 2 350's, 2 th350's and a 283 and drove it to both coasts for 6 years in the Navy. The minute I decide to tow it somewhere (TX) I wreck it, the trailer, and my dad's 97 Chev 20 miles from Laramie. Also nearly killed myself. I let the u-haul insurance total it (ALWAYS GET THE INS). I sold the remainder of the truck to my very good friend in Casper. I guess the truck didn't like the idea of leaving Wyoming again...
05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. 3” lift & 6-speed
02 E320 the insurance total “free car”
13 Tahoe LTZ
clay68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 12:58 AM   #21
1STtimePRo'71

That looks like a really fun project. I dont think you'll ever sell it. The relationship between a man and HIS truck is a strong thing.

1967 2 Wheel Chevy
1STtimePRo'71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 02:06 AM   #22
TruckinDaddy
What's that funky smell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clay68c10
I had the sidemount spare and I painted mine metallic burgundy (actually a '91 Geo color). It was the only long step I ever saw painted; there were a few others in beater ranch truck mode in WY.
Maybe I'll start an Austin Chapter of the WY 'Beater Ranch Truck Mode' Club! This truck will be in need of paint, but not for a while. Got to get it going and stopping first.

I thought my Papa's truck had a side-mounted spare, but it doesn't. I guess I was thinking of my uncle's 65 or 66 farm truck.

My truck blog
My Car Domain page
Old 03-07-2005, 05:26 AM   #23
Jeremy_5
Truck addict

Quote:
Trying to figure the best/cheapest way to get it here. Heard U Haul might not let me load a truck on their trailers...
I had trouble letting U-haul let me put my 72 on their trailer, but I found a U-haul place that did let me and it did just fine. The truck was a longbed 3/4 ton dual tanks etc, and it just barely fit on their biggest trailer, but I took it from Oregon to California and it did great. Plus it cost me $40 dollars for the trailer, can't beat that.

Last edited by Jeremy_5; 03-07-2005 at 05:29 AM.
Jeremy_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 10:56 AM   #24
Hook'em

Mike - welcome from Round Rock. Look forward to seeing that one on the road.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:08 AM   #25
TruckinDaddy
What's that funky smell?

Talking

Thanks for the welcome, guys. Y'all got me so excited about this truck I was up almost all night thinking about it.

Now I just have to bring it the last 70 miles, from the farm, to my driveway... And I need to do it cheap!

My truck blog
My Car Domain page