The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-09-2005, 03:53 PM   #1
shifty
Questionable

Rebuild carb or buy new?

I'm looking at dropping a "new" 250 I-6 engine into my truck this weekend. Just curious - would you suggest rebuilding my existing carb with a $25-25 rebuild kit, or just buying a new one from the local auto shop for $70-80? If you have a choice and you had the xtra $60 to spend without worrying, would it be worth the extra effort to rebuild one that's been rebuilt a half dozen times before in the past decade or three, or just get a new one and start fresh?

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 04:02 PM   #2
67chevemall

After finishing my first rebuild I felt so good! It is alot of fun cleaning
and rebuilding them! I would go with a rebuild!
Do you have comp.air?
Now I buy "renew" kits so I have lots of parts for other ones.
67chevemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 04:09 PM   #3
shifty
Questionable

Here's the gist:
My truck has the original I-6 250 motor in it.

I found a rebuilt one for $350 (w/non-functioning carb) and it has a few miles on it. My original engine needs a rebuild, so I was thinking ... pull the original engine and carb, buy the rebuilt engine, buy a new carb, stick it in the truck and use it while I rebuild the original engine and carb.

Then I guess I could look at putting the original engine back in it. Just didn't know if it would be possible to do all this work in a weekend AND rebuild the original carb also so it can be used. ????

I'm pretty sure the current carb needs a cleaning.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
Old 03-09-2005, 05:51 PM   #4
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

The 70 dollar parts store carb is not new, it's a rebuilt unit. You'll turn your old carb in for a core too.

I rebuild mine. Wouldn't have it any other way.

The little inline engine carbs are about as simple as it gets. Just keep track of everything as you take it apart and follow the included diagram and instruction sheet when assembling it back together. It's a great carb for a beginner to do first time.
Old 03-09-2005, 05:55 PM   #5
shifty
Questionable

I was just going to turn in the non-functional carb on the "new" engine for the core charge.

I'm definitely wanting to rebuild. I think I'll buy a new one and buy a rebuilt kit to rebuild the old one. It's only a 1-bbl, can't be that hard to rebuild.

Old 03-09-2005, 05:58 PM   #6
Tx Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty
...... I think I'll buy a new one and buy a rebuilt kit to rebuild the old one. ......
Like I said, for 70 or 80 bucks, you're not getting a new carb, you're getting a rebuilt carb.
Old 03-09-2005, 06:03 PM   #7
shifty
Questionable

Sorry, I'll start typing it as "new"

Old 03-09-2005, 06:06 PM   #8
Tx Firefighter

Don't get me wrong, for a guy who needs one, the parts store rebuilts are usually pretty trouble free. I'd run one if I ever got into a bind and couldn't rebuild mine. They are well worth the money.
Old 03-09-2005, 06:13 PM   #9
shifty
Questionable

Well, I'm thinking about it like this:
I have enough of a chore to figure out what I need enginewise, yank the old engine and pop the "new" one in, so if I'm bound by anything, it's time.

I'm thankful for the feedback - I've never rebuilt a carb before, so hearing it's pretty easy is good news and it's a task I want to take on - I could just toss my old 250 also, but I plan on rebuilding it also for the educational value. I really want to learn what's going on inside, even though I plan on moving to a larger V8 crate motor some time in the next year or two.

I still have the task of figuring out what gaskets I'll need for the "new" engine. It's been sitting, wrapped up for ~2 years. The new" engine also uses a different ignition system and has some other minor discrepancies.

I'm just thinking: I'm eventually going to have two rebuilt 250's, so I might as well have two carbs. In the end, I'll take a hit when I sell the other 250, but ... Hell, if I learn something about the current engine, I guess the knowledge is worth it. Hands-on experience is invaluable.

Old 03-09-2005, 06:15 PM   #10
Tx Firefighter

Don't let the V8 masses run you over. Inline engines are awesome. They are much more durable than small blocks are. They are just less powerful and not as sexy to most guys.

Personally, they are my favorite.
Old 03-09-2005, 06:33 PM   #11
shifty
Questionable

They're ugly as sin and mine only has a cruising speed around ... 65-70MPH in 3rd gear . Has enough balls for towing, but not sure if it really has the power I want. I'm not sure. I'm going to give a genuine shot at souping mine up.

What are your suggestions for things to do to one of these 250's? 2bbl carb? 4bbl carb? new headers and exhaust? ??

Old 03-09-2005, 11:08 PM   #12
jhwkns
Registered Cruiser

The only problem with rebuilding those carbs is that the throttle shafts tend to wear into the valve body and leak. You can't repair that with a kit. The remans are usually bushed. Besides that they're a very simple carburator to overhaul.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:37 AM   #13
mr402

Rebuilding a 1 bbl is a real good place to start learning. Not a lot going on inside of them. I say give it a try first. If your not satisfied then buy the rebuilt one. The rebuild kits are pretty cheap so you won't be out a lot if your unhappy with it.

We're running 6s in my 62 Impala and in my sons 68 Cutlass. They do OK. Check out www.inliners.org. Lots of good info on getting reasonable power from them. There are a few good books on the market as well. Most guys won't run them but I like them just because they're something different. How many guys ignore the 55- 57 Chevy's or Camaros because they're just too many of them and they're no longer interesting. Anything with a wild 6 in it certainly catches my eye. Beside with gas going through the roof an I6 is looking a lot more attractive these days.
mr402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 02:53 AM   #14
JBstor

Reading this thread, a thought occured to me. Way back when I was going to school, my auto mechanics teacher gave me some good advice.

Never rebuild or replace the carb, alternator, or distributor, until AFTER you have run the new/different/rebuilt engine.

The reasoning is that it is easier to pinpoint problems when you KNOW that these components worked when you removed them. Oncle you are sure the engine runs, then start on all that stuff.

Just my .02
JB
JBstor is offline   Reply With Quote