The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-17-2005, 04:18 PM   #1
jamis
F.A.S.T. president

sunday progress

I made a box to set my plastic fuel cell in rather then use the straps; here is a pic of it sitting on the rails. Still need to clean it up and plumb it. I thought I would share it with you since I never seen anyone do it like this. There is a rubber mat between the cell and the box to help it fit in snug.

"A fear of the Sawsall is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." ~Sigmund Freud, "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis"

Last edited by jamis; 10-05-2007 at 07:10 AM.
jamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 04:41 PM   #2
Dean23
68cst_ss490

looks very cool. But one question. how do you drop the fuel tank if tou ecer need to change the sending unit . would you have to pull the box off the frame???
2005 Chevrolet Avalanche LT
cold air intake, performance exhaust, Comp cams cam, jba shorty ceramic headers.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3090973
Dean23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 06:31 PM   #3
jamis
F.A.S.T. president

I thought a lot over that and was going to weld the tabs on the box half way down and bolt it the the lower rail so the tank can be dropped down. But I have some drawings of some bed floor ideas where the wood floor will be hinged and it can be raised up kind of like a hard bed cover. I cant decide where i'm going with the bed ideas, and I may have to run a raised bed floor if I bag it so the diff housing doesnt hit the bed bottom. So I just went with the easiest way when I was fabricating it. So dont be surprised if it ends up in the scrap pile.
also I got tired of starting up the motor with a hose and gas tank next to it. So I jumped the gun abit just to be able to make it easier to roll the project out once a month and fire up the motor.

"A fear of the Sawsall is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." ~Sigmund Freud, "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis"

Last edited by jamis; 04-17-2005 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04-17-2005, 06:47 PM   #4
barn9
Half a bubble off!

Looks good, but I have a question. Are you going to cover that top side in any way? The reason I ask is that if a piece of gravel or other trash pops up in there and wedges along one of the tank sides, or makes it all the way to the bottom, it will eventually rub a hole in the tank. Murphy's law.
Old 04-17-2005, 07:13 PM   #5
jamis
F.A.S.T. president

Its in there really tight, the gap between the tank and the box is filled with a rubber mat. Nothing can get between the walls. The whole reason for the box is to avoid something puncturing it.
I was just going to make a whole fuel cell out of aluminum (if I cover the top then that’s what I would have). But I wanted something in the way of a double wall like the steel and bladder cells. Instead this one is aluminum and plastic.
In no way is this better then anything else out there and it has its own unique limitations, it’s just a different approach.
But covering the top with a hole piece bolted on is not a bad idea, I may just do that before the project is finished. Thanks Barn