The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-09-2005, 05:32 AM   #1
mudgutsandglory
Certified Truck Nut

looking for suspension, steering, and braking upgrades

Im gonna be junkyarding and parts hunting, and was wondering if there are any parts i should look for to help my '82 ride, steer, or stop faster or better?
items like larger rotors, better calipers, better master cylinders, better front sway bars, factory rear sway bars, quicker ratio steering boxes, and such.
if anyone knows of any good upgrade parts for our trucks lemme know!
thanks
Dan
mudgutsandglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 09:34 AM   #2
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

You can get a bigger swaybar off a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. I would get all the mounting hardware, too.

If you have the one inch brakes, you could upgrade to the 1 1/4 inch brakes. A good rule of thumb is that the holes in the edge of the 1 1/4 inch brakes rotors are big enough to poke your finger into. If you can't poke a finger in, they are 1 inch. I don't know what would be required to do the upgrade.

That is all I am aware of.

Slonaker

Last edited by Slonaker; 05-09-2005 at 09:37 AM.
Slonaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 04:59 PM   #3
454HO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slonaker
If you have the one inch brakes, you could upgrade to the 1 1/4 inch brakes. A good rule of thumb is that the holes in the edge of the 1 1/4 inch brakes rotors are big enough to poke your finger into. If you can't poke a finger in, they are 1 inch. I don't know what would be required to do the upgrade.
Slonaker
The spindles and calipers would have to be changed along with the rotors.

I have been scratching my head on this brake 'upgrade' for a couple weeks now. I would really like to see some hard evidence that the 1-1/4" rotors make a difference. I can understand how they may reduce brake fade since they are thicker and have larger vents cast into them. And they may also be less prone to warping, if that is even a problem. But if they are the same diameter as the 1" rotors, I don't see how they can improve the stopping power. And just because GM called them 'heavy duty' does not mean shorter stopping distances. Am I missing something here?? Are the 1-1/4" rotors also larger diameter maybe??
Old 05-09-2005, 11:32 PM   #4
jermasaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454HO
I have been scratching my head on this brake 'upgrade' for a couple weeks now. I would really like to see some hard evidence that the 1-1/4" rotors make a difference. I can understand how they may reduce brake fade since they are thicker and have larger vents cast into them. And they may also be less prone to warping, if that is even a problem. But if they are the same diameter as the 1" rotors, I don't see how they can improve the stopping power. And just because GM called them 'heavy duty' does not mean shorter stopping distances. Am I missing something here?? Are the 1-1/4" rotors also larger diameter maybe??
I am pretty sure the diameter is the same for either rotor.
What makes them better is the the reduced brake fade like you said. But with the heavy duty brake option you also get the 2 3/4" rear shoes. That is all that I am aware of so far.
-Jeremy
jermasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 12:36 AM   #5
longhorn71

lots of camper editions and suburbans have better parts(heavy duty)the big block trucks are another place to look.
longhorn71 is offline   Reply With Quote