The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-31-2005, 03:02 PM   #1
ronh72c10

How you got burned, or what expensive mistakes you've made

I was inspired by a recent thread (TH400 Tailshaft differences? ) to start this topic in hopes that it might go into the faq to help people avoid common (or uncommon mistakes) you've made putting vehicles together, parts differences, etc.

Here's what I learned today. TH400 trannys come with at least two different kinds of tailshafts, the slip yoke kind and the bolt on kind. The bolt on kind of tailshaft will accept a slip on yoke but the yoke won't go all the way into the tranny because the splines aren't cut as deep. Thus messing up your driveshaft length and maybe leaving you without enough of the splines engaged when the suspension is at full droop.

Bring it on, some thoughts of things that might have burned others, short and long water pump related accessories, carb differences, headers...
38 Ford Tudor Humpback Sedan (from the darkside)
67 Pontiac Parisienne
55 Studebaker Commander 2dr Hardtop (Starliner)
My Youtube channel with Video Updates!

Last edited by ronh72c10; 05-31-2005 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Oops on the link, duhh
ronh72c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 03:19 PM   #2
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

Biggest thing comes to mind is just throwin good money away after bad. Sometimes you gotta take a step back and realize it's just cheaper in the long run to buy a new part.

Current example: Been trying to fix my windshield washer pump. Bought a rebuild kit for like $6-$7 bucks. Pump worked but leaked. Went junkyardin to find another ($4) and another ($4). Still have no working pump and I could bought a new one for $29 at Chevyland. Time saved and gas spent, ya know?
Old 05-31-2005, 03:41 PM   #3
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

yes, i follow that same sentiment..i am currently rebuilding my front suspension on my 72 1/2 ton. i thought about buying the a-arms & such from lmc. then like a knucklehead i double guessed my self & thought aawww i can find a-arm in junkyard, powdercoat, & just buy the shafts from lmc. well after 2 wks looking on the boards for some good a-arms (w/o luck) i finally found a junkyard that had them, but it was 1 hr. away. lesson: the arms were $45 each, powdercoat about $60 (give or take) plus the shafts. i should've just bought the lmc stuff & been done with it in a week or so. ohhwell i guess for my first time of doing anything like this you just chalk it up as a lesson & move on!! i also didn't count the day i spent knockin' everything off the arms to get them clean to take to the coater..
hope this might help or give some a few good laughs!!
rodstored-72
rodstored-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 03:42 PM   #4
Robert1970C20rstbukt

LOL, same thing here. I've went through 6 different washer pumps, all used. The original worked, then the next time I tried it, nothing. Then I got 5 from the J-yard, none of 'em worked. I got 'em for free(no I didn't steal 'em), so I basically just wasted time. 30 bucks for a new one doesn't sound too bad though.

1984 Chevrolet C30 welding truck 454/SM465
1977 GMC C15 pickup 350/TH350
1970 Chevrolet C20 pickup 350/TH400
1970 Chevrolet K20 Suburban 454/TH350
1969 GMC 8500 478M V6/5 spd winch truck
Robert1970C20rstbukt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 04:13 PM   #5
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Dad bought an 83 firebird with a "rebuilt" chevy 350 in it. Guy swore by it (you know the story, RUNS GREAT!). The car was crap. We bought it for a parts car for another 'bird. I figured I'd slap that "rebuilt" motor in my 67. All of the wiring was either cut out or ripped out, the engine was minus a carb and all the "front" accessories. Goin on the guys word I pulled the motor and put it in my truck with a 700R4 trans. Took off the pan and valve covers, top end looked a little dirty for a rebuild, but everything looked good. Bought all the extra parts and fired it up. It ran awesome. Had a mild cam in it. Idled perfect. No engine noise at all. Shut her down and finished all the little things. Fired it back up, sounded great, took it down the road, didn't even get it up to 50mph when the bottom end blew out. Started knockin like a SOB. Saved up enough cash a year later to put in a crate motor. We pulled the pan and there was bearings and journals everywhere and one hell of a seized up crankshaft. Still have no idea to this day what exactly caused it. We did not have an oil pressure gage (it does now) but I think the oil pump was the culprit. I am also guilty of buying cheaper/inferior parts or "just what I need at the time" parts which ended up costing more because they broke several more times or the "other parts" wore out around it.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 04:15 PM   #6
Sillyoldman

I bought a couple used OEM outer grilles. Then I decided they were not good enough. I did'nt want to spend the chunk of change for a new one.

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 04:49 PM   #7
StingRay

I bought a partially restored truck that looked really good in primer. It's amazing what can be hidden under primer, bondo and undercoating. I figure I got a bout a third of what I spent in actual usable parts.
Old 05-31-2005, 05:13 PM   #8
jamis
F.A.S.T. president

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay
I bought a partially restored truck that looked really good in primer. It's amazing what can be hidden under primer, bondo and undercoating. I figure I got a bout a third of what I spent in actual usable parts.
we must have shopped at the same store

"A fear of the Sawsall is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." ~Sigmund Freud, "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis"
jamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 05:36 PM   #9
72MARIO

Bought a totally rotten truck and built a show truck out of it. $20,000 and still going.
1990 V2500 Suburban "Plow Truck"
2005 TAHOE DD
72MARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 05:47 PM   #10
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronh72c10
I was inspired by a recent thread (TH400 Tailshaft differences? ) to start this topic in hopes that it might go into the faq to help people avoid common (or uncommon mistakes) you've made putting vehicles together, parts differences, etc.

Here's what I learned today. TH400 trannys come with at least two different kinds of tailshafts, the slip yoke kind and the bolt on kind. The bolt on kind of tailshaft will accept a slip on yoke but the yoke won't go all the way into the tranny because the splines aren't cut as deep. Thus messing up your driveshaft length and maybe leaving you without enough of the splines engaged when the suspension is at full droop.

Bring it on, some thoughts of things that might have burned others, short and long water pump related accessories, carb differences, headers...
In addition there are electric and gear driven speedos on these transmissions and if you try to just put he gear in the electric speedo it wont work. theonly way is to swap out the shafts inside the transmission to convert one ot the other and you cant swap tailshafts either if you have a short and need long without disassmbling the whole trans to swap the shafts

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 06:11 PM   #11
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

See the link in my sig "THE GARAGE QUEEN" enough said
Tow Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 07:57 PM   #12
Russell
Professional Grade

The thing that burned me the worst was when I went to guy and buy a divorced 205 t-case for my truck. I had no idea what exactly I was buying, so I posted a wanted ad on a forum in hopes that someone had one. I wound up with a really expensive S-10 transfercase that was "missing it's input". The guy told me that he'd ship me the input knuckle, driveshafts etc, and led me on for a good 3 months, telling me he was outta town then me seeing him IN town etc until he finally said that he did not have a divorced 205, nor was he having any intentions making good on it and giving me the correct case.

Dirty peice of crap then blocked me in all ways, and took off. However, I know his IP, so I hunt him down online, and get him banned from all sorts of forums where he tries to sell his hot goods. He cost me a few hundred -- By now I have cost him thousands. He has called me to threaten me several times, I simply tell him to gimme the D-205, or my money and he'll never hear from me again, then hang up.

If he comes up here, I will not hesitate to put him in the hospital.

Last edited by Russell; 05-31-2005 at 07:57 PM.
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 07:59 PM   #13
ronh72c10

Sigh, same here, the first 72 I bought I was able to salvage the tranny and engine, not much else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamis
we must have shopped at the same store
38 Ford Tudor Humpback Sedan (from the darkside)
67 Pontiac Parisienne
55 Studebaker Commander 2dr Hardtop (Starliner)
My Youtube channel with Video Updates!
ronh72c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 09:56 PM   #14
Eddie H.

The most expensive lessons I've had were buying various used parts at swap meets and taking the seller at his word, without carefully inspecting them. Maybe I'm just stupid because since I always try to be truthful in all my dealings, I just expect other people to be honest as well.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:12 PM   #15
wanted

I bought a Ford once!
wanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 06:01 AM   #16
GMC AMI

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck
Bought all the extra parts and fired it up. It ran awesome. Had a mild cam in it. Idled perfect. No engine noise at all. Shut her down and finished all the little things. Fired it back up, sounded great, took it down the road, didn't even get it up to 50mph when the bottom end blew out. Started knockin like a SOB.
A lesson in the school of HARD KNOCKS, When ever I try to use a used engine I first pull the pan and do a bearing clearance check! I also went to that School.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:54 AM   #17
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

I said to a girl friend "do you want to move in together?"
it all has went down hill from there. we now have a house I dont like, and a dog which does nothing more than crap & pee in the yard.
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 09:20 AM   #18
Lemield

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68C15
I said to a girl friend "do you want to move in together?"
it all has went down hill from there. we now have a house I dont like, and a dog which does nothing more than crap & pee in the yard.
Been there....done that.

1949 Willys CJ2A, Kubota Turbo Diesel engine, Warn Overdrive, 11 inch brakes, 12volt, Warn M8000 Winch "Little Green"
1970 Rustoleum Roller Red C20 Custom Camper 454 TH400 "Big Red"
1971 K20 6.2 Turbo Diesel 4x4 4spd Ranger Overdrive "Pumpkin Wagon"
2005 VW Beetle Diesel 44+ MPG "Silver Bullet"
Lemield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 12:08 PM   #19
sweet n rare67
Young truck fanatic

I bought my M21 off of evil bay and by the time the shipping company had dropped it a couple of times the crappy crate it was in had managed to hold up just enough that the tailshaft housing had a 3" chunk busted clean out around one of the linkage bolt holes....fortunately didnt cost me too much to fix it. Even though I was in the process of movin from iowa and UPS wouldnt deal with my case......other than that....I paid $800 for a truck that was beat...really beat....it is a black hole....and if i didnt enjoy it so much it would probably really suck.
Old 06-03-2005, 05:17 AM   #20
'68OrangeSunshine

I spent about $500 -- including the junkyard power steering gear, pump and hoses (out of a '69 C/1500 panel truck) -- to put power steering in "old White Fang" my '67 K/10 Sub. PO had somehow 'appalachian-engineered' a 454 BBC into it, and it would haul. Turns were more problematic, since it was nose heavy. I knew nothing about PS, and especially didn't know that '67 was more like the '65 model year than the later models, what with the power- assisted slave cylinders and stuff. (This was all in the dark ages before this board.) With a lot of hacking and spacing we made it fit. Unfortunately, it wouldn't turn worth a damn. I had to make an illegal left hand U-turn from the middle lane if I wanted to land in the far lane on the opposite side. Or make 3 rights. Steering geometry was way off. Also the hydraulics having nowhere purposeful to go, started to work the driver's side spring perches loose with combined force and leaky hydraulic fluid, as well as break a few 1/2" grade-8 bolts. After replacing about the 3rd, 1/2" bolt, I decided to go back to manual steering. Well, that didn't go too well either -- since we'd cut the original drag link and spliced it short, so I had to buy a new one. I also patched the crack in the manual Saginaw gear box case w/JB Weld. That rig never did steer right after that. I covered the steering wheel w/ 1/2" I.D. foam pipe insulation ["donkey d!ck"] so I could slap that 16.5" wheel around in Armstrong mode w/o bruising my palms. And it only cost me another
$300 to make the change from PS to manual.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 06-03-2005 at 05:23 AM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 07:22 AM   #21
71cadc10

Recently paid good money $800 for a rebuilt short block 509 Caddy motor.
Drove 6 hours to get it. Looked it over real good, was rebuild no question. Bottom end looked good. ARP studs installed in the mains.

Get home disassemble the bottom to check clearances for sure, main bearings are all crap. Motor has only 1000 miles or less on it. Did some reading on ARP's site - when installing main studs you must align hone the mains afterwards. Called the guy up to ask if this was done, uhhh can't remember.
So off to the machine shop after total disassembly, another set of bearings, lots of time --- $800 short block became $1100 pretty quick.

Lesson: I had never really thought of it before, but the ARP studs get torqued to a higher value than main cap bolts do -- therefore you must install the studs, torque down and have the mains align honed because the extra torque distorts them differently.