The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-01-2005, 12:59 AM   #1
brad juan

what gas tank to use besides the blazer tank

has anyone installed a out of the bad gas tank besides the blazer tank? I have a blazer tank but I'm not sure I want to use it, I'm not sure what to do with the fill on it. I dont really want to put it behind the marker light. I was just wondering if there is any other tanks out there that people have used, also how easy was it to hook up the fill on it. My other question is if I do install my blazer tank, am I going to be to low and dragging it on curbs, I am lowered 3.5 and 5.5, thanks for your time.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:44 AM   #2
tomatocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad juan
has anyone installed a out of the bad gas tank besides the blazer tank? I have a blazer tank but I'm not sure I want to use it, I'm not sure what to do with the fill on it. I dont really want to put it behind the marker light. I was just wondering if there is any other tanks out there that people have used, also how easy was it to hook up the fill on it. My other question is if I do install my blazer tank, am I going to be to low and dragging it on curbs, I am lowered 3.5 and 5.5, thanks for your time.
I heard something about a Jeep tank but I don't know whick tank.

Do you have rear leafs? I was trying to figure how you got 5.5 with coils. Do you have pics of your truck. I would like to see how it sits. I am thinking of doing the same drop.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:05 AM   #3
Joe67
67 is sold

Here is a long thread with a few options

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php3?t=117123

gr8lakes - My ebay auctions

Click here to order forum apparel :: Click here to become a subscribing member
Joe67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 08:46 AM   #4
see ten
WTB this ad

I used a jeep CJ tank on a 66 that I used to have. It fit right in between the framerails. I don't really know if this is any better than the blazer option. The sending unit for the jeep tank made my gas gauge work backwards! When I sold it I told the new owner that E means enough and F means that you are.... well you get the point.
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 03:15 PM   #5
mocwon
Keep On Truckin'

I got one from Fuel Cell Guy (Mark Fowler, board member). Welded fuel door assembly in from a 1990 Maza 626 and fabricated bed side filler neck cover. Haven't hooked up the filler pipe yet but it shouldn't be a big deal.
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2005, 06:25 PM   #6
modifiedGMC

I used a tank off a 70's Chevy Luv pickup. It mounted without straps, it was bolted to two brackets on the frame. The one in the picture was shortened two inches (top to bottom) and welded back together. I used the original in cab sending unit but had to modify it to fit the new rear tank depth. The down side of mine being shortened is now it's only about 8 1/2 to 9 gallons which means more stops at the gas station. I should have not shortened it and just moved it farther up into the frame. I cut two pieces of angle, bolted them to the tank and got it in place where I wanted it and welded the angles (see red arrows) to the bottom of the frame while it still had not had gas put in it yet. I think I may go back and put a bigger one in it's place later on. For now it works good because I don't drive it that far.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:27 PM   #7
Bob Moore

ModifiedGMC - What about the filler tube? Does it go out the back or to which side?

Thanks for another option - Bob
more to follow
Bob Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 07:37 PM   #8
Rokcrln

I had one made by Fat Fender Street Rods that is a work of art and has a intank pump to run my 93 vett LT1. Made out of SS and it is about 35gals. The filler is out the drivers side and it will get a small door like MocWon's above (looks good).

Kevin

Last edited by Rokcrln; 07-01-2005 at 07:38 PM.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 10:04 PM   #9
Joe67
67 is sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocwon
I got one from Fuel Cell Guy (Mark Fowler, board member). Welded fuel door assembly in from a 1990 Maza 626 and fabricated bed side filler neck cover. Haven't hooked up the filler pipe yet but it shouldn't be a big deal.
Nice work on the fuel filler mod

gr8lakes - My ebay auctions

Click here to order forum apparel :: Click here to become a subscribing member
Joe67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 11:01 PM   #10
modifiedGMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Moore
ModifiedGMC - What about the filler tube? Does it go out the back or to which side?

Thanks for another option - Bob
The tube comes out the back of the tank and runs over to the driverside marker light. I had to cut some of the bed out and make a cover for it.