The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-01-2005, 10:04 AM   #1
KShortell

The things you find in your Jeep

OK, I know this isn't Chevy-related, but I thought y'all might enjoy this week's adventure anyway.

This is a new one for ya. I had a windshield replaced a week ago. However, they first tried to repair it the day before and ended up getting resin all over the cowl in the process. Well, they couldn't get it all off and I was facing having to find a body shop in the middle of moving. Fortunately, I was able to get it off with patience, my fingernail, and a razor blade. I did have to take the cowl off to get out the dent they left in it, too.

Well, when I pulled the cowl off, I found myself looking at a gallon milk jug in the passenger's side of the plenum duct. I now know how many calories and grams of fat my Jeep has- ha! Well, I first went to remove it, but then found it was "stuck". Upon further inspection, it was really only half of a milk jug and was installed with seam sealer. Now, my interest was really piqued. Then, it dawned on me.

How many times have folks posted about their Jeeps having the infamous wet floorboard on the passenger side? Yes, the cowl vent is only in the middle and the intake is off to the side. Yes, there is a foam seal glued into place on the passenger side of the cowl as well. But, I've come to believe that water can still get around the two. This "backyard engineering" of a solution actually works. It functions as a clamshell to divert any water around it and down to the drain without obstructing airflow. I've never had any leakage into the body. I always just figured I either I've got a "good one" or I'm just special. I touched up some of the sealer and reinstalled the cowl using some Ultra Black on the foam seal.

With rubbing out the finish and putting on two coats of wax, she looks as good as new! I did remove the nutrition label, however.

I took some photos and will do a write-up or posting at some point. There's no time to do that now. I pick up the moving truck in the morning and off I go to Virginia for good. I'm hot on the trail for a new house and will have at least a 1-car garage on the other end, if not a 2-car unit. I've gotta have a place to wrench and I really want to have a garage again like I used to have.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:18 PM   #2
matthufham

my p/o had a mountain dew 16 ounce plastice bottle that was used for an overflow tank. it wasn't connected anymore because it fell off i guess, and it was hidden inside the fender. i only found it because the bottom of the fender was rusted so i cut it open and there it was.
matthufham is offline   Reply With Quote