The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-22-2005, 06:29 AM   #1
Sooner1970_K10
1970 K10, 350, 4spd!

Carb-flood-problem?

I have noticed that when I try to start my truck on a hot summer day (100 deg.) in Oklahoma it will FLOOD without even stepping on the gas. On a cool morning (70 deg.) it starts up just fine if I dont step on the gas. If I pump the peddle at all before trying to start it will flood no matter what type of temperature there is outside. This is a factory carb, do I need to clean it, try and adjust it, get it rebuilt or buy a new one?
Sooner1970_K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 07:02 AM   #2
Idaho68
Got trucks?

Thumbs up flooding when hot

Hmmm, if it is flooding with a single press on the pedal no matter what the temp I would be looking at the accelerator pump shot being WAY too large, as far as flooding when hot without touching the pedal, I would check the routing of fuel line, the condition of the needle and seat, and insulate the carb from engine heat. When the fuel gets warmer it will expand, and if the needle and seat arent in the best of shape you will wind up with a flooded carb, I know, chased that around on the grey brute for a month or so. You didnt say wether it was happening on a "cold" start in 100+ temp, or if that happened when starting after driving for a bit then shutting down, if it is a "hot" start problem it is possible the fuel in the carb, if you arent running an insulating spacer is "boiling" (Gasoline having a much lower boiling point than water) and flooding, and it is also possible that if the fuel line is running too close to the block or exhaust that it is pressurizing in those conditions. The odd part is the "hot" flooding can drive you crazy because, in the case of the grey brute of mine, it would flood, then when I got it to clear it would vapor lock . hope this helped at least a bit

OOGLY 68 1/2 ton LWB with 250 6-banger and TH350 (soon to be 350 with TH400)
Idaho68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 12:45 AM   #3
rage'nrat638
Account Suspended

if its a q-jet it may be leaking into the intake manifold from the bottom of the carb......

Last edited by rage'nrat638; 07-12-2007 at 07:04 AM.
rage'nrat638 is offline   Reply With Quote