The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-03-2005, 08:51 PM   #1
MylilBowTie
Right turn Clyde

Fixed my leak!!

I had a leak around the front of the oil pan where the timing chain cover and oil pan meet. I knew it leaked but I didn't think it was that bad. I found out how bad it was on my last board meet trip. It blew oil all over the underside of my truck all over my exhaust everything. It was blowing it out bad enough at the end of the way back there wasn't a signal car that would get behind me.

So I cleaned up the underside the best I could with a pressure washer. It did an okay job but most of it got baked on. I bought a new one piece oil pan gasket again (felpro). Dropped the oil pan, cleaned it out and the bottom of the engine. The thing I didn't do the last couple of times is use silicone in the corners of the timing chain / block area and the rear main. It seemed to work so far no leaks. I hope that fixes it I've tried plenty of times to fix it before with different gaskets, oil pans and they didn't fix the leak. Next would have been timing chain cover if this didn't work.

Just wanted to share with everyone. Feels pretty good to finally fix something that has been such a pain in the past.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:55 PM   #2
badone07
Project 2 Resume

Quote:
Originally Posted by MylilBowTie
I bought a new one piece oil pan gasket again (felpro). Dropped the oil pan, cleaned it out and the bottom of the engine. The thing I didn't do the last couple of times is use silicone in the corners of the timing chain / block area and the rear main. It seemed to work so far no leaks. I hope that fixes it I've tried plenty of times to fix it before with different gaskets, oil pans and they didn't fix the leak. Next would have been timing chain cover if this didn't work.

Just wanted to share with everyone. Feels pretty good to finally fix something that has been such a pain in the past.
One thing I can't stand is leaks. Drives me nuts. I've seen other posts where some suggested to throw them on totally dry. Not to be a wise-ass, but I believe that's the exact directions they come with on the little directions sheet.

1984 C30 Chevy Crew Cab Dually
1998 Jeep Cherokee 4x4
2004 Chevy Trailblazer 4x4 (wife's)
1970 Mustang FB fully tubed (getting 521 BBF & powerglide)
1978 Nova 2dr (going BBCaddy & S.P. th400)
1984 Monte SS (circle track car)
badone07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 10:24 PM   #3
MylilBowTie
Right turn Clyde

Yeah I must have over looked that part about the silicone. Real men dont use directions right?? lol
Old 08-03-2005, 11:40 PM   #4
magnethead
7000 #'s of american IRON

I know i dont...
magnethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 11:47 PM   #5
MylilBowTie
Right turn Clyde

Yeah the directions do tell you about the silicone and where to use it. I look at the directions but mostly just a glance over. Most times there isn't anything really important on them and its self explanatory like valve cover gaskets on most things like gaskets atleast. I have also seen where a lot of others haven't had any problem not using any silicone but everything isn't the same.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:03 AM   #6
86 GMG

i have had better luck unfortinatly by replacing oil pan and timing chain gaskets at the same time
Old 08-04-2005, 09:14 AM   #7
CHEVYE
my gas saver

i had the same leak a couple of years back. i just swapped my timing cover for a chrome one and trimmed the little tabs off at the bottom of the cover. i loaded the corners up with silicone and haven't ever had a leak since.
ebay feedback
CHEVYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 12:27 PM   #8
JustOneTruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEVYE
i had the same leak a couple of years back. i just swapped my timing cover for a chrome one and trimmed the little tabs off at the bottom of the cover. i loaded the corners up with silicone and haven't ever had a leak since.
Thats the same thing I did but my cover was orange .The silicone in the corner trick ends up to be like a dumbell with large parts on either side to keep them from blowing out or sucking in . Sorta like a tug of war .

That oily mess under the hood I used simple green in a garden sprayer and let sit for a hour then sprayed it clean .

Who needs directions when you got us here on the board.
JustOneTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 01:58 PM   #9
MylilBowTie
Right turn Clyde

Its weeping now on the passenger side. Not near as bad as it was but I think its the timing chain cover. On the bottom where the oil pan gasket sits is maybe a little to wide. It a stock timing chain cover like 76-77 same as the block. Canton Racing has what looks to be a pretty good replacement for like 25.00.

I like simple green too pretty good stuff.

Knew it had to be to good to be true..
Old 08-04-2005, 02:16 PM   #10
CHEVYE
my gas saver

bummer..... that's a PITA fix too with the engine still in.
ebay feedback
CHEVYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 06:07 PM   #11
MylilBowTie
Right turn Clyde

I cant say I fixed but I tightened the 1/2 bolts in front. Passenger side was loose and I couldn't get a good grip on it before, this time I got it real good. Had to get the right combinations of extensions and the swivel. Drove it around the block a few times and I don't see anymore oil on the pan.

Old 08-04-2005, 07:23 PM   #12
86swb
Born a Chevy Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MylilBowTie
Yeah I must have over looked that part about the silicone. Real men dont use directions right?? lol
Well, I will have to admit. After all these years I now guess I found out I am not really a "real man". I have to read directions or it will not be put together right. Putting things together for the kids at Christmas time. You better believe I have the directions out.

*1986 Chevy SWB Silverado
*1984 Chevy Longbed Silverado

New Kia Sportage (Wife's car and she loves it)

CHEVY, American made w/pride!

If you can read this, YOU NEED TO THANK A TEACHER!
If you can read this in ENGLISH, PLEASE THANK A SOLDIER!
GOD BLESS AMERICA AND BLESS OUR FIGHTING TROOPS
86swb is offline   Reply With Quote